TransDEM issues

I have to ask this again: Did you successfully complete the Quick Start Guide, including the "Muengsten" (the one exporting to Trainz) and the Map tile tutorial?

It would make it much easier for other people to help you if you can tell us which exact step in which tutorial causes trouble for you. It also helps if you post screenshots to illustrate the problem.

Roland, I like the way you matched those points to georeference the sketch. I never got into it that deeply; but I see how your matching the sketch to a georferenced map.........that never even occurred to me as an option in TransDEM. Regardless of the size (scale) of the sketch, once it is assigned geo data, it will align and stretch to match the three selected points on the DEM. In my mind, that's not image manipulation; that's georeferencing!
Cascaderailroad, I see you on Skype; I'm available if you want to go thru the process .........downloading geo-pdf raster (topo) maps from the USGS 'Hisorical' map site, (which also can access modern maps) is the simplest way I know of to quickly georeference a map.

MS Bing (under its original name Virtual Earth in TransDEM) does not have such a restriction - and often the better data.

The other question is: To what level of detail do you want to go? Couldn't the 1:24k topo map suffice? And if it's an abandoned line, there might by a historical map for it in the USGS collection:
http://nationalmap.gov/historical/index.html
(Also available via The National Map Viewer)

Bing most definitely has better data in many cases. I might try that as well.

I've searched the USGS sites a lot! The oldest maps I can find are from 1948-51, or around a decade after the rail was abandoned. The sketches I have are dated 1909 but they are just too poor in quality. I may even try some Universities and other potential sources later on to continue my search.

I might try the 1951 historical topo as well, but comparing that to Google Earth views, Google (or Bing) satellite images look more "obvious" to me when it comes to faking the route. Without clean versions of those 1909 drawings (or something similar), I have no choice but to mix different sources and different eras.

Roland, I like the way you matched those points to georeference the sketch. I never got into it that deeply; but I see how your matching the sketch to a georferenced map.........that never even occurred to me as an option in TransDEM. Regardless of the size (scale) of the sketch, once it is assigned geo data, it will align and stretch to match the three selected points on the DEM. In my mind, that's not image manipulation; that's georeferencing!

I see a manipulated image! :) Again, that's what I was after. I knew there would be rotating and skewing and whatnot, but I didn't know the right tools within TransDEM to get there and the terminology I use comes my knowledge of PS. As you said, this is a "deeper" use of TransDEM. If I go with the drawings, that matching up of sketch to map will be the way to do it! Luckily, I've been using two monitors for years, so that method would be perfect for me (and those drawings). Thanks again, Roland!

OK............it's a manipulated image...........therefore all georeferenced raster images are manipulated images.........but I'm still gonna call them georeferenced raster maps........they still contain embedded geo data.........heck........I got enough trouble handling the terminology as it is!

I'm about ready to give up ... "Error Opening Gdalinfo.exe"

I tried the site: http://nationalmap.gov/historical/index.html
and http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/topoma...P_NAME,P18_MAP_TYPE:PA,24000,\wertzville\,All

All I am doing is making major mistakes, and I have been working on this for well over six 8 hour days ... with zero results ... only a blank rainbow colored DEM, and can not open up a geo referenced raster map, because Transdem can not see it ... and when I open up raster map: "Error Opening Gdalinfo.exe"

I suppose my 32 bit laptop is not able to work with Transdem ... it should be alot easier than this.

I am suposing that my laptop is missing: Gdalinfo.exe

Did you install GDAL?

My delivery email had a sentence:
To import GeoPDF maps you will need to install the free GDAL utilities, see the GDAL installation chapter in the main manual.

Pressing [F1] in the TransDEM main window opens that manual. I search for "GDAL" and find
GDAL Installation
Note: The GDAL utilities are not part of the TransDEM installation package. They have to be downloaded and installed separately.
● The GDAL utilities are available as pre-built binary packages from this site:
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk.(06/2013)
● TransDEM needs GDAL 1.10 or higher.
● Download the following version 1.10 package:
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/Dow...1-10-0-mapserver-6-2-1\gdal-110-1600-core.msi (06/2013)
● Install to the default location.

I understand that it is "cool" not to read manuals. But if intuition does not work, then what?

Last edited:
I am missing Ghostscrpt and gdalinfo.exe ... and am installing them ... as well as re-installing Transdem ... and am reading what technical manuals and tutorials that I can find.

What I can't understand is that there is a site that has historical top maps that come already pre-georeferenced ... and that they automatically plop into place on the DEM.

I must be on the wrong site, as Transdem can not see inside that folder to locate that georeferenced map, for the map is not there according to Transdem (but the PDF map really is there, and Transdem can not see it).

Can you provide the exact link to the historical topo map site, that has pre-georeferenced PDF topo maps, please ?

When I finally get topo maps to plop down in register with the DEM, and to size to the correct size, on top the blank rainbow colored DEM ... I will have no problems.

I know that I am a pain ... but it seems what ever I touch, it seems that I am the only one that has great difficulty.

Years ago I had great difficulty installing HOG textures from Trainzluver ... when in fact there was a much easier way ... as there is a ready made CDP of HOG Textures that self installs without all the hassles.

Topo maps should also just plop down automatically ... but I can not get them to do so, as of yet

Easier instruction manuals are always better ... and an easy to read and understand, simple instruction page ... would better that a 78 page set of tutorials, located on 3 sites, as it is to the novice, like reading how to build a "geothermal fusion core nuclear reactor enriching cyclotron".

Please provide links, if you can

Last edited:
I sent you the link for the national historic map collection over in Skype.
Geophil spent considerable effort and time incorporating the geo-pdf format into TransDEM. The TransDEM manual explains clearly how simple it is to georeference USGS maps downloaded from the site. And while "real men don't need the manual" may be 'cool'.....I simply ain't very practical ..............I keep a copy of both pdf manuals on my desktop for quick reference.

I am missing Ghostscrpt and gdalinfo.exe ... and am installing them ... as well as re-installing Transdem ... and am reading what technical manuals and tutorials that I can find.
What are you using Ghostscript for? To read PDF? In that case it could be the explanation why you can't open the TransDEM manuals and thus never saw them. I know Ghostscript should be able to open PDF but it may not always work. Adobe Acrobat Reader is my recommended tool to open PDF documents. Why didn't you tell us, you couldn't see the manuals?

What I can't understand is that there is a site that has historical top maps that come already pre-georeferenced ... and that they automatically plop into place on the DEM.
That's a long and complex story and steamboateng is right, I spent quite a bit of time and effort to add automatic GeoPDF processing to TransDEM. But this process relies on the GDAL utilities being installed.

Topo maps should also just plop down automatically ... but I can not get them to do so, as of yet
Map Tile services and WMS are alternative options, see post #44. With them, georeferencing is also automatic and after you have set-up the link, you will have your "plop down" maps.

Try you get your hands onto the TransDEM manuals. I urgently recommend the "Quick Start Guide" once more. It starts on page 9 in the TransDEM Trainz manual.

The manuals are included in the TransDEM setup package and will be installed with the main program. You can access the manuals via the TransDEM main window, from the Help and Trainz menu, or from the toolbars, or by shortcut keys [F1] and [Shift]+[F1]. Acrobat Reader should be installed. It will launch automatically.

You can also the access the manuals from the Windows Start menu:
All Programs | Ziegler-Tools | Documentation | TransDEM Standard Edition, TransDEM Trainz Edition.

A third option is the Windows file system. A standard installation on Win7 64bit has the documents in this path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ziegler-Tools\Dokumentation

On a 32bit system:
C:\Program Files\Ziegler-Tools\Dokumentation

Geophil,
I owe you an Xmas gift, as do many Trainzers.........how about a cold case of your favorite pilsner............perhaps a wine..........or a cognac.
Many sincere thanks, for all you've done..........
Regards
Mike

Last edited:
Until I get Gdalinfo.exe installed on my Vista 32 bit Windows PC ... Transdem is dead in the water "Error Reading Gdalinfo.exe"

I can not find a site that has gdalinfo.exe in the installation ... I have tried many Gdal installations and gdalinfo.exe is not installing, as it is not there.

All the versions including gdal 1.10 do not work at all on my PC, and I can not : "Open Raster Map": "Error Reading Gdalinfdo.exe"
"Open Georeferenced Raster Map" refuses to even see the PDF map file (the folder is blank according to Transdem)

Evidently the site that is supposedly downloading pre-georeferenced PDF historical map files, they are not even seen, let alone as seen as greoreferenced maps on my PC, and I can't even open the topo maps at all, as they are not seen.

I am downloading from: http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/topoma...P18_MAP_TYPE:PA,24000,\Wertzville\,Historical

Last edited:
I lost my patience a long time ago ... I think that was right after I lost my mind ... Which was about 12 years ago.
====================================================================================
EDIT: I am having some success (I think) by manually georeferencing by 2 corners only, using a jpg topo map image.

I apologize for being so frustrated with Transdem ... I believe that I have begun to figure out the work around to my problems with using Transdem.

Last edited:
I just finished a Skype call with Cascaderailroad. He's been using the 2/3 point method of georeferencing maps and having some success. He has also downloaded and installed the .gdal files so will be working with the USGS geo-pdf maps tomorrow. He has had some computer issues, so I can understand his occasional frustration.

Yes ... it seems that my PC problems have been resolved, and in the Transdem School I have just graduated from Kindergarten, and am gleefully skipping into the 1st Grade classroom ... and I am learning by leaps and bounds ... I remarked that I should write a book: "Transdem for Dummies" - "If even I can do it" ... "you can too", (as I have great 1st hand personal knowlege of that aspect).

McFly: Some times I am my own density :hehe:

Last edited:
Well, I'm happy to report early success. Keep in mind that I've been a casual sim-er for years. This is not the first time I've messed with DEMs and maps in this (or other) sims, but I've never put much follow up into those efforts. So, anything I dream of is going to take months and years! I'm trying to get a grasp of some of the methods so I don't waste more time going down a wrong path.

One thought I have is to recreate the Copper River & Northwestern from 1911 to 1938. Now this is a 193 miles long and I'm just a beginner. I'm not even sure if it is possible for me to ever do such a route - I might compress it. But I won't make the mistake of doing even that as a newbie. I want to start with a 2-mile stretch of rail, from just south of Chitina, over the Copper River, and just past MP 132 on the way to McCarthy. I figure if I can not master the skills to build this very short span, then I will never build a 200 mile route and I should just play with trains or stick to one-baseboard fictional routes.

As I said, my survey maps are blurry scans. The originals contained valuable info for a rail that no longer exists. So, I will try to track down copies later on. I can use modern tools (Google, Bing, USGS, etc.), but the rail is long gone; even the USGS historical data only goes back to 1950. Luckily, the modern "highway" (often a gravel road) follows the rail bed precisely for much of the route. Ironically, I am pretty sure I picked one of the places it diverges as my starting point. Yet as it is, I cannot even seem to match up my survey maps with the best photo I have of this section of rail.

So, here's four pics: 1) The Survey map, even more blurry because I shrunk it to post here, 2) a photo probably from the second or third (last) decade of the rail, 3) an early attempt at using TransDEM to load the DEM and Google Maps images and then export with the WebColors. (I will give MS Bing or whatever a shot too), and a much earlier (1912?) pic of one of the trestle bridges over the Copper River. (There was only one trestle bridge over the river - it was replaced every year, though.)

p.s. So, as I said, I might give up on geo-referencing my maps until if/when I get better maps. But thanks again for all the help. I'm learning a bunch in TransDEM and in Trainz.

Last edited:
Happy to see you and TransDEM are getting along. I've been a big fan of the program since I got it several years back. You have picked a handful for a route, and I'm sure it will keep you busy for a while yet! You may want to check out those USGS 1950 maps you mentioned earlier. They are often made from older maps and may indicate some abandoned trackage relevant to your project.

Back