Trainz Simulator Basemapz Aspect Ratio incorrect

jjeff1955

Using Google Earth
Trainz Simulator Base Mapz Aspect Ratio incorrect.
When I import the Base Map the City Blocks are not square they become rectangled.
I did set the resolution to 1080p, & set the eye view to 3000ft
Looks good in the Base Map tool when generated, but when imported the aspect ratio changes.
I did set the scale to real scale in both the Base Map tool, and the Trainz Create new Map.
I watched several YouTube Videos and the instructions do no work.

You are right Jeff, saw a few tuts that do it wrong

if you can work with a 3d program do the following:
-measure the pic you see in google earth in 2 directions, write it in a notepad
-export/save the pic
-rescale it to be 512/1024/2048 (sizes trainz will accept)
-go to your 3d prog make a plane with the measures you did before
-and place it 50mm above z0 (to avoid flickering)
-make a material with the pic, and alternative make it a little transparent
-uv place it on your calibrated plane and export as .IM
-write a simple scenery config
-place it in game on a special layer
-after it is to your liking lock the layer

there are a few tutorials made by Olaf99 both for gmax as blender
greetings GM

I was trying to do my Home Town Springfield, Illinois.
But seems to be to difficult to get the Base Maps placed

I have tried every possible setting in the Google Earth for saving the image to the BaseMapz Software.
Max Resolution, & Scale 1% or 100% makes no visual difference. 100% just makes the Compass and scale text larger.

The aspect ratio looks spot on when I do the Render and then save it, still looks good exported to it's folder.
When it is import into Trainz it stretches the Objects and City Blocks Vertically.
The Map size is 2048x2048 or 512x512 does not remedy the issue.
I had also tried the Ruler line drawing from top to bottom and side to side, & that did not work.
Seems to be a builtin Trainz bug for getting the exact aspect ratio on 1 single base square
I do not know how to use Gmax or Blender, it should not require those 3D tools just to do a basic Map import.

Change The Way You Look At Things, And The Things You Look At Change does not seem to apply here LOL!
Seems to be a builtin Trainz bug for getting the exact aspect ratio.

Thank You G.M for your suggestions, much appreciated.

The issue may not be Google Earth but Trainz scaling the image incorrectly. Try some smaller sized images using the base maps objects available from the DLS. They come in 720 x 720 and 1024 x 1024 sizes. Clone the assets and replace the basemap image with one of your own of the same size and name.

I've used these ages ago to import a model railroad plan from a book long before the basemapz program became available.

Thanks John.
I will try your suggestion, I do think that will work, do to the .im files will be correct.
Then the BaseMapz would be deleted any way after the details are done.

Google Earth is Scaling correctly, BaseMapz is not scaling correctly when a generated image is done. When I open the pics they are not accurate and are scaled to the incorrect aspect Ratio. and the City Blocks become elongated, and the Trees loose their Circle diameters, and become oval in diameter.

I do use the Real Scale settings in the Trainz Base Map settings, along with the BaseMapz Render Settings set the same.
Thanks again John. I will be back to post an update after I give that a go.

Update
It is not a Trainz Bug after all.
The BaseMapz Software is the issue.
When it generates the BaseMapz it doe not get the Aspect ratio the same as the original Render.
The #1 - 1:32 x-Dim 72 ft 11.75in y-72 ft 5.00 in does not work.
It will not save the generated image 720x720 it saves as a rectangled image and then gets squeezed into a not usable Base Map
Basically the Trainz BaseMapz Software is the bug issue, and the BaseMapz Website is not available due to it is infected with a Virus.

I am still stumped on how to use it?
jjeff1955

Last edited:
Try the manual method using basemap (base map) assets not the program.
Clone one of these assets to start.
Replace the image with your image of the same name and size as the original. (It's easier than having to edit the texture.text.txt and the config.txt file too.)
Submit and insert.

I've used these a number of times. I used them for the Scenic and Relaxed and another route I generated, and also for tracing a particularly interesting track layout I wanted to include in a route I saw in a magazine.

These are 1km x 1km (1024 x 1024 images). There are 720m x 720m (720 x 720 images) available as well.

<kuid2:267614:100011:2> 1km Basemap A
<kuid2:267614:100015:2> 1km Basemap B
<kuid2:267614:100016:2> 1km Basemap C
<kuid2:267614:100017:2> 1km Basemap D
<kuid2:267614:100018:2> 1km Basemap E

There are more of these by this author.

Back