Trainz Plus TRS22 crashes to desktop when attempting to start from launcher

jrfolco

Route Builder
When I attempted to start TRS22 this morning from the launcher, the app immediately crashed to the desktop. Since then, I've run both database rebuilds to no avail. Uninstalled and reinstalled Trainz Plus (build 123059), but the app still crashes.

Last evening while shutting Windows 11 down, a message informed me of a new available update. I selected the update and then set it to turn off the computer when completed.

This morning, I noticed that a few changes had been made including a new windows taskbar. That's when the the Trainz problem started. Whether or not this update caused the problem, I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Joe

Suggest try starting the TRS22.exe by double-clicking on the executable from the Trainz program folder instead of via your desktop or taskbar icon/ shortcut.
Also check that it has been excluded from your anti-virus/ malware real-time checks (as a 'trusted' program). The automatic malware checks run after the update may have relegated the app to the naughty bin.
@1611 mac has a good suggestion above - it is possible that Windows 11 replaced your graphics drivers during the update. As always, I recommend downloading the latest drivers directly from either AMD, Intel or nVidia, according to the card installed.

Suggest try starting the TRS22.exe by double-clicking on the executable from the Trainz program folder instead of via your desktop or taskbar icon/ shortcut.
Also check that it has been excluded from your anti-virus/ malware real-time checks (as a 'trusted' program). The automatic malware checks run after the update may have relegated the app to the naughty bin.
@1611 mac has a good suggestion above - it is possible that Windows 11 replaced your graphics drivers during the update. As always, I recommend downloading the latest drivers directly from either AMD, Intel or nVidia, according to the card installed.
I tried all of the suggestions you recommended, but Trainz still wouldn't start.

Thanks,
Joe

The problem has been resolved. I received a message that another Win 11 update was available to download. I
installed it, and TRS22 is now working.

Thanks again,
Joe

I am on a MAC. I loaded and installed an update this morning on my TRS22. It immediately crashed with an error message and is locked. The Launcher is DOA. All my other TRS22 installs function but not the updated version.

I am on a MAC. I loaded and installed an update this morning on my TRS22. It immediately crashed with an error message and is locked. The Launcher is DOA. All my other TRS22 installs function but not the updated version.
Hello, I normally run '22 on my Win machine but I'll load up the release on my Mac M1 and see what happens.. Are you doing Retail edtion or Plus?

Hello, I normally run '22 on my Win machine but I'll load up the release on my Mac M1 and see what happens.. Are you doing Retail edtion or Plus?
Here it is 19 minutes later and I have downloaded and I have installed the new PLUS version of the release it opened fine. I didn't like the fact that it seemed to use the data folder from my 22 retail (older release) app though as it had my account info already! I quit immediately and setup my own data folder, pointed the app to it, and re-launced. This time I had to enter my account data as usual. So try a clean install of the app from myTrainz download. After launch immediately set a new user data folder, or your old existing data folder), point to it, relaunch and see what you get.

By the way... while its "working" (caching and such) there was absolutely NO indication that anything was going on. No "in progress" bar, no "wait" msg, nothing. But knowing how Trainz is I just sat there and waited and after a minute or so up it popped up. So you might want to fire up Activity Monitor and watch for things happening there.

EDIT- UPDATE - on a relaunch I get the launch window. When I hit "Start Trainz" I get a blank, what I'd call a "dialog window," but that blank window only lasts while background work is going on... as short a 2 secs to maybe 10 secs. This after the initial traditional long wait.

I normally run with everything full "High" on my GeForce RTX 4070 windows machine. On the M1 Mac I'm running medium settings and it's slow and jerky in the small Kickstarter 2 yard. I havn't tweaked on it any yet but shadows are completely off.

Last edited:
When I attempted to start TRS22 this morning from the launcher, the app immediately crashed to the desktop. Since then, I've run both database rebuilds to no avail. Uninstalled and reinstalled Trainz Plus (build 123059), but the app still crashes.

Last evening while shutting Windows 11 down, a message informed me of a new available update. I selected the update and then set it to turn off the computer when completed.

This morning, I noticed that a few changes had been made including a new windows taskbar. That's when the the Trainz problem started. Whether or not this update caused the problem, I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Joe

As a follow up.

I finally just dumped a year and a half of route work. My entire installed TRZ files!! I am a gold member.
Between TR22, TRPE, TR plus, TrR retail, and sp1-2-3, things were just to mixed up. (my Own fault). Need to learn install sequences for TRZ.As it stands today.
I DL'd TR 19, TR Standard (Retail?), TR PE and TR Beta and TR Plus. Installed all separately and watched to see how they loaded into my TR Data folder.

Start all and all worked except TR Plus. Instead of a Launcher, I get an error message for Apple which shows a bad access error. This has progressed from my original files to this new install. I do not believe this is a TRZ problem but how to fix?
Apple is not going to do anything for One lonely user.
Any suggestions to fix this?

Back