Trainz 22PE, - a little spot of advice.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
When I received an email from N3V offering me Trainz 22PE at half price because I already owned TS2019 I didn't say 'No' to it. At the price it was an absolute bargain.
However I'm not going to bother with installing it just yet since I'm perfectly happy with the projects I'm working on in TRS22 Retail Edition, build 119451 and that build is working fine for me and doing all that I want.
What I am going to do though is download the current Off-line installer for TRS22 PE and archive it away so that I'll have an original release version to fall back to should I ever have an 'update' patch for TRS22 PE go sour at some future date.

I did this for the original release version of TS2019 as well as for the first release version of TRS22 and they've bailed me out of trouble a couple of times now.

Good advice. I have several full installers archived for various builds in retail and Plus editions (as I'm sure many do).

I also download and archive the previous Trainz installer for the same reason plus it saves me time in not having to download it again if something goes wrong.

Another piece of advice.

Before I attempt any major software update I always check for Windows updates and, if they are present, I install them. An AV scan also doesn't go astray either.

In the case of the latest Trainz Plus update to build 123794 the latest Windows updates were installed on my systems just day or two before build 123794 magically appeared. So I had already received the necessary update to the .dll file that has caused some users, who didn't have the update, so much grief.

Annie, if you want to keep your TRS22 Standard as is then don't be tempted to update it to SP2. At that level, I believe from my experience, your TRS22 Standard will magically turn into TRS22 PE because your user account has TRS22 PE registered to it and SP2 installs the inactivated features of TRS22 PE and they will be activated. As proof, I can download the TRS22 Standard installer from MyTrainz and it comes up as TRS22 PE.

Same here, Annie. This saved me this time and I was able to recover my data. Otherwise, I'd be SOL due to the corrupted Plus install I have.

Annie, if you want to keep your TRS22 Standard as is then don't be tempted to update it to SP2. At that level, I believe from my experience, your TRS22 Standard will magically turn into TRS22 PE because your user account has TRS22 PE registered to it and SP2 installs the inactivated features of TRS22 PE and they will be activated. As proof, I can download the TRS22 Standard installer from MyTrainz and it comes up as TRS22 PE.
Thanks for the good advice. I fully intend to keep my standard version at 119451 and I won't be patching it any further than that. I don't need any PE features inactivated or otherwise with what I'm presently doing so they can stay away out of it thank you very much.
It's a pity that there isn't an option to refuse update patches for a lot longer than a week. A month would be much better and less annoying.

Another piece of advice.

Before I attempt any major software update I always check for Windows updates and, if they are present, I install them. An AV scan also doesn't go astray either.

In the case of the latest Trainz Plus update to build 123794 the latest Windows updates were installed on my systems just day or two before build 123794 magically appeared. So I had already received the necessary update to the .dll file that has caused some users, who didn't have the update, so much grief.
Good advice, - my very tech savvy daughter has trained me well to keep my computers up to date and to install Windows updates without delay. I saw what happened over that .dll file and the mess it caused.
I have regularly scheduled AV scans set up on my computer as well.

Same here, Annie. This saved me this time and I was able to recover my data. Otherwise, I'd be SOL due to the corrupted Plus install I have.
Good to know John. There's nothing worse than getting a project you've worked on over several months wiped out.

When I received an email from N3V offering me Trainz 22PE at half price because I already owned TS2019 I didn't say 'No' to it. At the price it was an absolute bargain.
However I'm not going to bother with installing it just yet since I'm perfectly happy with the projects I'm working on in TRS22 Retail Edition, build 119451 and that build is working fine for me and doing all that I want.
What I am going to do though is download the current Off-line installer for TRS22 PE and archive it away so that I'll have an original release version to fall back to should I ever have an 'update' patch for TRS22 PE go sour at some future date.

I did this for the original release version of TS2019 as well as for the first release version of TRS22 and they've bailed me out of trouble a couple of times now.
Wish I got that email. Id much rather have bought it direct instead of Steam, but Steam was way cheaper.

Back