train modelling - dimensions needed

quicksilver1983

I'm getting back into trying to make stuff for Trainz (in particular TRS2006) and am not using Gmax at all for modelling - instead I am using Wings3D which by default uses the same scale as Gmax and the Trainz Asset Creation studio.

One quick question, I am going to build a basic DMU (maybe EMU) but I need to know what the maximum height for a unit is? UK rolling stock...

any ideas?

Max height is about 13ft, good luck building a model without any drawings to hand. I hope you've also considered how you are going to get the model into Trainz without using Max, GMax or Blender.

Paul

I will be using Gmax purely to export to Trainz, however the modelling will be done in Wings - I have found some DMU prints which I am modifying slightly...

Can Wings export your mesh to Gmax or Blender in a format that they will accept? I'd make sure before you go to a lot of effort with a little test mesh.
Good luck.
Mike

I'd start off in Blender or possibly GMAX, converting files is not perfect and can give rise to problems later.

HMRS is a good source of plans by the way.

Cheerio John

I've already exported a set of car alloys which I had created for another game in Wings to *.3ds and imported that with no problems into Gmax.

Can't see there will be an issue exporting after that from Gmax to trainz.

I've already exported a set of car alloys which I had created for another game in Wings to *.3ds and imported that with no problems into Gmax.

Can't see there will be an issue exporting after that from Gmax to trainz.

If you read through the bug reports in www.sourceforge.org or Blender for converters you'll have less confidence that everything gets converted accurately, or even trainzdev XML importer.

Cheerio John

Back