The Broadmeadow Project: Project Forum Thread

NSWGR_5910

Eno Silvie
My project, along with the NSW Rail Transport Museum Line recreation, is going to be Broadmeadow, in Newcastle. Since I live in Broadmeadow and in the golden age of steam it was one of the main NSW steam bases I thought it might be a good idea to recreate it. Broadmeadow holds many fascinations for me, it was a good spot for the 59s, I live near the old roundhouse and it was one of the top 3, in my opinion, steam bases of NSW, the other 2 being Enfield in Sydney and Junee.

This thread will hold updates and photos of the current progress, I plan to eventually, extend from Broadmeadow to Newcastle Terminus and then go from there.

Please let me know what you think of this project and if you have any resources that might be of use, please post below.

-Eno Silvie

Broadmeadow loco depot and marshalling yard would indeed be a small route in itself and could be used to demonstrate how locos were serviced and prepared, as well as the marshalling of goods trains. You appear to be new to Trainz and this Forum. Do you have prior experience with 3D modelling that you can draw on, or were you planning to depend on assets from the DLS? If the latter, then your route is unlikely to be historically convincing. Are there members of the "NSWRTM Line Recreation" group who are going to assist with modelling? Could you provide me with an e-mail contact for this group?

Broadmeadow loco depot and marshalling yard would indeed be a small route in itself and could be used to demonstrate how locos were serviced and prepared, as well as the marshalling of goods trains. You appear to be new to Trainz and this Forum. Do you have prior experience with 3D modelling that you can draw on, or were you planning to depend on assets from the DLS? If the latter, then your route is unlikely to be historically convincing. Are there members of the "NSWRTM Line Recreation" group who are going to assist with modelling? Could you provide me with an e-mail contact for this group?

Well, lucky for me, in this group of people we have a 3D modeller, some assets have come from the DLS, such as locos, scenery etc. but the roundhouse and turntable and probably a few other buildings will be custom made. I'm not new to trainz but i am new to forums sort of, I had previously been using one of our members accounts, with his permission, as he got to busy with the usual tasks of life, as are most of our members, you know jobs, cleaning etc. so he had passed on the recreation of the loop line to me, and so with agreement with a few of our friends, we formed thr group. The email for the group currently is my personal one which, since the invention of the block button, I am not afraid to give out, I am working on getting one related to the group. If you are to send an email to us, please be specific in the email and please title what the email covers in the subject box.

EMAIL REMOVED

Thanks for taking in what I assume is a possible intrest of what might turn out to be a great project.

-Eno Silvie

Last edited by a moderator:
Eno,

I edited your post to remove your email address. Putting your email directly into a forum post is an awesome way to collect SPAM and I'm sure you don't want any more than you get every day. :)

Regards and welcome to Trainz,

John Citron

Eno,

I edited your post to remove your email address. Putting your email directly into a forum post is an awesome way to collect SPAM and I'm sure you don't want any more than you get every day. :)

Regards and welcome to Trainz,

John Citron

I appreciate that, but its really no different to the bombardment of adverts we get everywhere so I just use the beautiful looking delete button in my emails.

-Eno Silive

From what you say - please excuse me if I have this wrong - the "NSWRTM Line Recreation" group does not have institutional backing of the NSWRTM. Rather it is a personal initiative of an NSWRTM member that was originally focused on a Trainz model of the Picton-Mittagong loop line, on which the RTM site at Thirlmere sits. This objective has now been widened by yourself, the current most-active group member, to include a model of Broadmeadow-Newcastle, and the Picton-Mittagong project has been placed on the back burner. You mention "the roundhouse and turntable and probably a few other buildings will be custom made", but if you are modelling for the steam era, as you have implied, you would be aware that there were 2 half-roundhouses in operation side by side, the #2 roundhouse having, from 1954, some extended stalls to accommodate AD60 Garratts. Also of note at Broadmeadow was the massive elevated coaling bunker and the ash pits with an underpass track on which ash collection wagons were left.

I am fully aware of the steam era variation of Broadmeadow, my family history traces back to newcastle and my grandad, who lived near the Roundhouse I think, tells me stories of the old roundhouse as he used to work trains out of there so he remembers what it looks like, plus I have collected a few photos of it that were taken during the steam age. So, our 3D modeller is creating both versions, e.g the steam era one has smoke and steam stains etc.
Have a look at the website that has been created which under the more tab, is some info about us, the story behind our little group, and a sort of life timeline of me, the creator.
http://thirlmereroundhousetrainzcontent.webs.com/about-us

-Eno Silvie

Back