The Annoying Track vs Terrain Texture Thing

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Why is this still an issue in TRS22 (running the latest Steam build122427)? Was never a problem in TRS19 or earlier. This is with a PBR texture and modern procedural track, not old assets.

its due to the ballast and track your using on the route and what needs to happen is add more textures next to the track to solve it... works everytime

RetroRails12 is right. But the underlying reason is that the default grid texture is a PBR texture.

I have trouble understanding why N3V thought this was a good idea.

EDIT: I was not clear enough when I made my comment. I was not questioning the use of PBR textures in general. Instead, I was questioning the use of PBR for the default grid.

Last edited:
Tune back the shader setting to Basic in the Trainz settings on the Launcher under performance. This used to be Standard in the previous versions.

This will turn off the 3d-effect of PBR textures that causes this along with the jellyfish guts and pond scum look when mixing PBR and non-PBR textures.

I have trouble understanding why N3V thought this [PBR textures] was a good idea.
I now use nothing but PBR ground textures. In appearance they are light-years ahead of the old flat (2D) ground textures. As for their issues, I have yet to come across a situation that could not be resolved.

My opinions.

I'll give those ideas a try. My shaders were on Ultra so for now backed off to Standard. Don' really want to drop to Basic though as I need an idea of how the layout will look if someone else downloads it to use.

Generally I do try and avoid anything other than PBR textures these days.

Edit: Ah yes, just tested, repainting texture over the track has equalised the heights.

I'm glad you worked that out, Vern. The "basic" is the new name for what was "standard" before.

Back