Deleting ground/terrain textures - correct procedure?

clack45

Am I to understand that if one uses one of the textures: 'Grid (PBR)', PBR Grid (2.0), this will delete any texture that it paints over?
Or are these textures just - that - textures, that will paint on another new layer of texture when brushed onto the terrain?
Want to update an old route near the track to PBR textures along with new SAP track, so if I can get rid of the old texture, that would help FPS wouldn't it, and also be a better, neater way of doing things, rather than daubing PBR textures over older terrain textures.
There is also a texture called: "Un Texture Grid", which just seems to be a version of the grid texture without the grid lines, but maybe that will delete underlying textures when applied? :cautious:

Textures will go over textures. There's little impact of textures on textures. I have noticed a performance impact with PBR textures though.

To replace textures, you can use the Bulk Update Replace tool. This will save you a lot of time and beats retexturing the route manually. You may have to go back and touch up areas but for the most part this will get the bulk done. For textures under roads and track, you can use the Bulk Replace Update tool. Put in the spline on the left and the texture you want to put under the spline on the right. Set your texture radius and run the tool. The textures will go nicely under the tracks without having to manually texture under them.

If you are updating to PBR, you are better off replacing all your textures anyway because mixing PBR will 2d textures is like putting oil paint on water.

If I have to remove a texture completely, I will paint the area with Grid. Set the scale to zero and paint over the surface with the angle at zero. I've done this when I've totally messed up something and I need to redo the area or if I need to remove the default green texture prior to doing anything else.

Like John Says, replacing PBR is probably best. I have tried applying different PBR textures over existing PBR textures and I seem to get actual depth that starts to give me trouble with tracks and ballast and other things. Maybe it was just the way I was doing it, but I was trying different ground textures to see what I liked best, and it appeared to start piling up.

Like John Says, replacing PBR is probably best. I have tried applying different PBR textures over existing PBR textures and I seem to get actual depth that starts to give me trouble with tracks and ballast and other things. Maybe it was just the way I was doing it, but I was trying different ground textures to see what I liked best, and it appeared to start piling up.
I learned yesterday from Joe (Approach Medium) on his livestream that we can set texture transparency in Surveyor 2.0. This adds a whole new dimension to texturing if we remember to do that.

I learned yesterday from Joe (Approach Medium) on his livestream that we can set texture transparency in Surveyor 2.0. This adds a whole new dimension to texturing if we remember to do that.
How do you set "texture transparency" and what effect does it have?

Cayden

How do you set "texture transparency" and what effect does it have?

Cayden
As I said in your PM,

Click on the texture.
Click on the Tool Options
Adjust the intensity of your texture.

This gives us the same effect of moving the mouse quickly like we used to be able to do prior to T:ANE and TRS19.

I have noted (S1:TRS19) that it seems as tho once a texture is applied it becomes a dependancy, even if you over paint it and never use it again.

Bulk replace will remove it VISIBLY, but it will still be a dependancy.

Only deleting the texture (export first so you can get it back), opening the route in surveyor, and using 'delete missing assets' will remove it from the dependancy list.

I have noted (S1:TRS19) that it seems as tho once a texture is applied it becomes a dependancy, even if you over paint it and never use it again.

Bulk replace will remove it VISIBLY, but it will still be a dependancy.

Only deleting the texture (export first so you can get it back), opening the route in surveyor, and using 'delete missing assets' will remove it from the dependency list.
This has always been an issue I think as far back as TRS2004.

I did a deep dive on Big Valley to excise DLC dependency. Not just add on, but even the included DLC so people didn't face what I've faced. Being forced to install a whole route they'll never touch and eating up many MBs of disk space just for one or two little things.

During that is when I discovered this persistant texture dependency syndrome. I had no idea it was that old of a bug.

Last edited:
Back