TGR (Tasmanian Government Railways) Fingal Line screenshots

pware

Trainz Veteran
September 2014: The layout has now been converted to its original narrow gauge (3ft 6in - 1067mm) and redesigned, using data from the Tasmanian Transportation Museum, the Australian National Archives and railway historians, to more closely resemble how it looked in the early 1950s. The first release of the layout covers Conara Junction to Avoca and demonstrates the use of a new rule on the DLS. The full layout will be released when more features have been added to the rule. Screenshots are available at http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...Conara-Avoca-section)-Safeworking-screenshots

After 12 months of work I have finally completed the layout for this line set in the early 1960s when it ran all the way from Conara Junction to St Marys in eastern Tasmania - a distance of 75km (47 mi). By 1983 the line had been "rationalised" to just 59 km (37 mi). The layout is based on track diagrams, historical (and current) photos, descriptions and data from Google Earth.

The layout is for Trains 2010, uses moderate to high detail and, for those who are allergic, carries a "Speed Trees" warning. Final release date is uncertain (but not 12 months off) as I want to complete some sessions, in game documentation and test, test, test.

TGR_001.jpg

Mid morning at St Marys yard. Wagons and a guards van await the arrival of the loco seen smoking in the distance being serviced at the depot.

TGR_002.jpg

The assembled return pickup goods departs St Marys for Conara Junction.

TGR_004.jpg

It is later seen entering the now disused Mt Nicholas yard. The branch line to the closed Mt Nicholas mine is seen diverging to the left.

Last edited:
Since there is a shortage of Trainz 2010 compatible TGR rolling stock I have been forced to "borrow" comparable equipment from other Australian states - something that the TGR did anyway. The English Electric X class loco, however, is a TGR original.

TGR_009.jpg

X31 loco with a mixed passenger freight pauses at Hanleth platform. Separate passenger services on the line ceased during the 1950s and up until the 1970s passengers were accommodated in the guards van (caboose) of some freight services. During certain holiday periods a passenger car would sometimes be attached to a freight service - as shown above.

TGR_006.jpg

Later arriving at Avoca station. Avoca is one of three townships/villages on the line - the others being Fingal (the current terminus) and St Marys.

TGR_007.jpg

The pickup goods waits at Cullenswood for a crossing empty coal train to emerge from the winter gloom (or is it summer? - in Tasmania it can be hard to tell) before it can continue its journey.

Last edited:
TGR_008.jpg

An empty coal train on route to the Cornwall coal loader passes through Frodsley.

TGR_005.jpg

Beyond Frodsley it passes through sheep grazing country.

TGR_011.jpg

... before arriving at the Cornwall screens to load coal.

Wow, that looks really nice :) Good work...

Seeing that VR stuff on there makes me think of a 'what if' layout... Namely, what if Tassie had actually continued building in 5ft3in :eek:

Zec

I agree, looks wonderfully detailed, so keep up the great work, promises to be a very nicely detailed route when its completed :)

It's a shame I was unable to contact the author of the M and MA class locos to perhaps bribe him into releasing them... I've been wanting to see some Tassie routes and more stock since '04 came out. Glad to see this route!

I've just downloaded your 'Introduction' session to use on your route.

Excellent route and detail. A joy to be able to download something so comprehensive with all content on the DLS.

One point; you mention that information and instructions for completing various tasks have been built into this session. Could you explain exactly where or how please. I've looked unsuccesfully for an instruction file in edit mode.

Thanks a lot.

Terry

Hallo,

great compliment! Your screens looks great. I am a fan of detailed routes been built from historical photos and maps – especial if the creator likes to provide some historical background with such a route.
How could you create such a 75 km route in only 12 month? That’s really fast. I worked about 3 years at my Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel route including all the creation of the required special content to meet the real thing as close as possible. But I guess route creation goes a bit faster by using TS2010 rather than TRS2006. Especially the replacement tool is a much powerful help.

Anyway – congratulations again!
Have a nice day.
Your’s TUME

Terry,

I was wondering the same thing until I noticed that there's an html file for the session on the DLS. Once I downloaded it, the instructions showed up.

Regards, Paul

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback. It makes it worthwhile - although I create these layouts for the enjoyment of creating them and, sometimes, for the stress relief, they bring.

Good work allows a bump

I just downloaded this route.

Just wanted to compliment pware on an absolutely beautifull piece of work :).

The layout is for Trains 2010
... and a version for TS12 (made by pware ofc) is now available on DLS.

Just wanted to compliment pware on an absolutely beautifull piece of work :).

Thank you Oknotsen for the compliment.

As you also noted I have now updated and improved the route for TS12 and have added three sessions with related HTML assets (8 .cdp files in total) that illustrate operations on the line in 1963 and 1964.

Despite weeks of testing, one bug did get through. A superfluous switch that only affects AI operations that use the Avoca Loop siding. Use the Find feature to locate the trackside object AV08CP and simply delete it.

I was debating whether or not to upload an update to the layout with the issue fixed but at 46MB this might be a bit too much for a minor issue.

Peter Ware

A wild guess

how many baseboards is it?
To many to do an exact count, but I estimate about 150. The route seems to be mainly 3 boards N-S and about 50-60 E-W.

Note: It is available for 2010 and 12 on DLS. I dont know if that will work with your 2006 and 2009.

Hello Pware,

Simply stunning route mate. Totally enjoyed my run of the History Tour Session. Really enjoyed how you have the pop up infomation cards with the history of the sections/areas, I actually paused to read each and everyone of them.

One issue in Trainz 2012 though - Wasn't game breaking in anyway I could see.

:- kuid:-3:11061 is unknown. Google and CM are unable to find this fellow.

Thanks for such a quality route, one that has been Favorited on my route listing.

Tanvaras_20120123_0004.jpg

Cheers

Trent

Thanks for the feedback,

-3:11061 according to my CM is built in to TS12 as Passengers, type Misc, author Auran, build version 2.9

Peter Ware

Hmm, thanks for the reply. I double checked my CM, but shows missing. I have all TS2009 // TS2010 imported into Trainz 2012. So its got me. But all in all, it works fine regardless. I do have kuid:-3:11060 as Auran//Passengers though

missingkuid.jpg

Anyways, back to running your sessions. I am having a blast :)

Cheers

Trent

Last edited:
I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments and commentary of others, this is a beautifully detailed route, with plenty to do and see, and commendations to the creator for an excellent piece of work.

Back