T:ANE Random CTD, No Error

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was wondering if anyone has any experience fixing random CTD's in T:ANE? I've googled, searched the forums, can't find many complaints about it and no fixes. Seems to happen when I'm editing a route file, specifically it usually happens when or just after placing/moving speedtrees (st_rmm assets) however it has happened at other times too. Sometimes I can go a couple of hours without it happening, other times it'll happen several times in 15 minutes. I did an Extended Database Repair the other day, it helped for a while, no crashes, but it started happening again. My route file has no faulty or missing dependencies, I did have a faulty ground texture asset in there but removed it. I'm using build 105957, usually no lag or stutter before it happens however today there was the loading circle of death for a couple of seconds before crashing.

Here are my PC specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 68 °C
Matisse 7nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1597MHz (22-22-22-52)
Motherboard
LENOVO 3716 (AM4) 39 °C
Graphics
VE248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (Lenovo) 45 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA ) 42 °C
931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 (SATA ) 38 °C
953GB SAMSUNG MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L7 (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Is there a crash log file for the Steam version? I've found a crashdump file in the build folder, but am unable to access it. I seem to recall on older versions of Trainz you could open it in notepad and it would show a list, I may be imagining though.

Many thanks in advance!

Edit
: The route file shows no errors, but when I right click > view errors and warnings, it says 1 error, 0 warnings, "Dependency <kuid2:39134:100314:127> is unknown". Never seen that before and no results when I google the KUID!

Last edited:
Re: the :127 asset. T:ANE has been showing those for the last few months and it's been discussed. It's inconsequential, the true asset is most likely installed. A database rebuild will dispose of the erroneous :127 warning.

For the CTDs, if you switch between Surveyor and Driver with CTRL+F2 more than a few times, it will happen. It is safer to save, exit and then start Driver. Memory is increasingly unreliable and it's a long time since I worked with SpeedTrees, but I think it happened occasionally.

You might consider restarting the PC before working with them. That can mitigate memory issues and clears up a lot of odd mishaps.

:B~)

Re: the :127 asset. T:ANE has been showing those for the last few months and it's been discussed. It's inconsequential, the true asset is most likely installed. A database rebuild will dispose of the erroneous :127 warning.

For the CTDs, if you switch between Surveyor and Driver with CTRL+F2 more than a few times, it will happen. It is safer to save, exit and then start Driver. Memory is increasingly unreliable and it's a long time since I worked with SpeedTrees, but I think it happened occasionally.

You might consider restarting the PC before working with them. That can mitigate memory issues and clears up a lot of odd mishaps.

:B~)

Thanks for replying!

I never use the CTRL+F2 function to switch between Surveyor and Driver, sometimes I will put a loco down and head into driver to see what it looks like but I always press the driver's head in the top left corner, and the crash never seems to happen at that time. Having said that, it does always seem to happen when or just after I've moved speedtrees, it doesn't seem to matter which ones, it's quite random.

I saw your message the other day, but wanted to do some more research with the log, trying to get the game to crash whilst monitoring it, before I posted a reply. It has happened a couple of times now, I've had the following error message seemingly coincide with the CTD. I don't know if it's a coincidence or if this contains the reason:

1646987071348: Client fe30d0b62a3b70e8 refreshing DRM product listing (trainz-win32-steamworks-450)

A google search shows no results. Should I submit it as a ticket, or will they not be able to help? I do have TRS19, I could move onto there, but I wanted to create one last route in T:ANE and get it uploaded.

Many thanks for your advice!

Most of my CTD or to the blue screen of death are related to height issues, for example adjusting a large area of landscape for height which has a lot of detail placed on top of it, or when trying to change my point of view in surveyor by using the mouse and arrows keys at the same time to scroll in, rotate, this especially happens after a lot of changes, I think more often then not it is too much for the video card to handle. It always happens when you have been editing too long, your RAM is full, and you know it but you want to make that last little change.

Most of my CTD or to the blue screen of death are related to height issues, for example adjusting a large area of landscape for height which has a lot of detail placed on top of it, or when trying to change my point of view in surveyor by using the mouse and arrows keys at the same time to scroll in, rotate, this especially happens after a lot of changes, I think more often then not it is too much for the video card to handle. It always happens when you have been editing too long, your RAM is full, and you know it but you want to make that last little change.

Try increasing your Windows virtual memory (page file) size.

Jack,

Is it a particular route that's doing this, or is it all of them?

If only one route, then it could be an asset that's having issues. A corrupted mesh or texture that's corrupted in some way that CM and TANE think is okay because passes validation but in reality, it's corrupted internally so that the asst causes a CTD when comes into view in driver.

I've posted about this before with a corrupted Speed Tree in a forest. If I looked in a certain direction as I passed by this place, TS12 CTD'd immediately. If I looked the other way, I got a 1 FPS slideshow then everything was fine. I could never isolate the asset, but I knew it was in there somewhere. I finally solved the problem when converting out trees from old Speed Trees to the new ones for TANE when I went through the laborious process of substituting threes for something else prior to importing the route into TANE the first time.

Thank you JCitron for that tip. My memory was set for 32727MB, I changed it to what my computer recommended of 49090. I noticed that the maximum I could set it to was equal to my free memory on my hard-drive. What would happen if I set it for this max memory and then added more programs to my hard-drive?

Back