T:ANE - not buying it

For the same reason we should believe those on the other side of the debate.

The official screenshot at 1024x768 from WindWalker:

obj2geo2pg1p33.jpg

The number says 7FPS.

Roystrainz exaggerated the performance claims on the TS12 version, why should he be believed now.

Have the route and always ran half as good as Roy claimed.

Harold

Last edited:
That screenshot is from what month? ... MAY 2015 ... I'm sure the 8GB patch can be applied, and the newest beta TrainzDev patch can be applied, and the same screenshot would be at least 34 FPS ... You have to ask yourself, do you really want T:ANE to fail, and rely on old early 2015 data and test results, to prove that T:ANE is still the same, as the early 2015 game, that it once was ?

You have failed to grasp cause and effect. The game will fail because the complaints won't be fixed not because of the complaints issued.

Every version since ReleaseCandidate1 has gotten worse.

Harold

You have failed to grasp cause and effect. The game will fail because the complaints won't be fixed not because of the complaints issued.

Every version since ReleaseCandidate1 has gotten worse.

Harold

Do you have any evidence that the complaints will not be fixed? The information on the Trainz Dev forum alongside the fix information on the Wiki seems to indicate otherwise.

Shane

Besides 34 FPS in 2015 is not very good.

The game benchmark is now at 60 FPS, 35 was good back in the day of "QUAKE" in 1996.

A scene like those in Railworks would be getting at least 150FPS at max settings on my computer.

The Trainz community is out of touch with what is current.

Harold

It's not necessarily what is current, it's what's in effect. V-sync for example limits the framerate as too high a framerate may have unwanted effects on the hardware front, similar to running a monitor at too high a frequency.

Shane

Lets put things in perspective what ever went wrong with Chris Bergmans screenshot I would be hard put to guess however it is not what I get, this is an honest screenshot I do not sell payware and never would I do not have any issues with people who are obviously having genuine problems.

T:ANE Build 76536
Draw Distance = 6000m
Shadows = Low
Scenery Detail = Normal
Tree Detail = Normal
Texture Detail = Normal
Water Quality = High
Post Processing = High
Process Objects behind Camera on
Anti-aliasing = 8
Resolution 1440 x 990 @ 75 Hz

Nvidia Settings

All Default apart from:

Multi Display / Mixed GPU = Single Display Performance mode
Power Management = Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering = Anisotropic sample optimisation = On
Texture Filtering - Quality = Performance
Texture Filtering - Trilinear optimisation = On
Threaded Optimisation = On
Vertical Sync = Adaptive (Half refresh rate)

Hardware
i7 - 3770K @ 3.5 GHz,
16GB DDR3,
SSD's OS and T:ANE,
4GB GTX 970 @ stock settings
Hanns G HW191D Monitor @ 75 Hz 1440 x 990

Operating System = Windows 10

Screenshot of same view as posted by WindWalkr and no I'm not wasting my Data limit on producing a video to prove what I know is working for me.

This may just help someone to get similar results on a similar system

Note I can put settings up to high and get the same Frame rate in the test builds and this is important, without changing the Nvidia settings from default..
This is however from the Kickstarter boxed version patched up to date.

Last edited:
Lets put things in perspective what ever went wrong with Chris Bergmans screenshot I would be hard put to guess however it is not what I get, this is an honest screenshot I do not sell payware and never would I do not have any issues with people who are obviously having genuine problems.

T:ANE Build 76536
Draw Distance = 6000m
Shadows = Low
Scenery Detail = Normal
Tree Detail = Normal
Texture Detail = Normal
Water Quality = High
Post Processing = High
Process Objects behind Camera on
Anti-aliasing = 8
Resolution 1440 x 990 @ 75 Hz

Nvidia Settings

All Default apart from:

Multi Display / Mixed GPU = Single Display Performance mode
Power Management = Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering = Anisotropic sample optimisation = On
Texture Filtering - Quality = Performance
Texture Filtering - Trilinear optimisation = On
Threaded Optimisation = On
Vertical Sync = Adaptive (Half refresh rate)

Hardware
i7 - 3770K @ 3.5 GHz,
16GB DDR3,
SSD's OS and T:ANE,
4GB GTX 970 @ stock settings
Hanns G HW191D Monitor @ 75 Hz 1440 x 990

Operating System = Windows 10

Screenshot of same view as posted by WindWalkr and no I'm not wasting my Data limit on producing a video to prove what I know is working for me.

This may just help someone to get similar results on a similar system

Note I can put settings up to high and get the same Frame rate in the test builds and this is important, without changing the Nvidia settings from default..
This is however from the Kickstarter boxed version patched up to date.

Well yes but with shodows set to default you might as well be running TS12,
and to my eye texture not high looks worse than what I'm used to in TS12.

What's the point of TANE if it only runs on a foggy day and needs everything set to blurry?

and that's before the unintelligible messages to the content creators saying their content is faulty starts.

Cheerio John

As an aside, what's with this hangup about high FPS numbers. OK, so single digits and teens will produce a choppy look. But once you're beyond 30 or more, what's the difference? As for 150, is that just bragging territory or what?

I would consider 30fps excellent TBH. I tend to get framed rates of 20-25-30fps in TS2010, and 7-15fps in TS12. If I can even get 30fps in T:ANE on my machine it would definitely encourage me to buy it.

It depends what you're used to. When you grow accustomed to higher frame rates from software that either isn't too demanding or is well optimised, you start to become accustomed to it. Personally I'm happiest at 60FPS because of this. If I had a monitor with a refresh rate higher then 60Hz however, I would probably grow accustomed to even higher frame rates over time. The result of this is anything below what you're accustomed can appear odd and distracting with a choppy-like nature.

Jack

I don't recall TS12 having shadows anywhere near T:ANE's low shadow settings, shadows were on albeit the low setting and not Off which is basically equivalent to TS12.
I wasn't trying for an appearance shot, you won't get one on Normal settings, it was a prove that it is possible on my Hardware to get more than 7 fps. Yes there are problems, I don't think anyone will deny but there is a lot of false assumption going on that it is everyone who is affected when clearly it is not.
For general use anywhere else other than Hinton I stick to high settings and don't look at the frame rate, looks smooth enough to me any stutter / micro stutter has vanished since using adaptive (Half Rate Refresh). I don't look at Frame Rates other than to test out SpeedTree loading, some trees are worse than others.

It depends what you're used to. When you grow accustomed to higher frame rates from software that either isn't too demanding or is well optimised, you start to become accustomed to it. Personally I'm happiest at 60FPS because of this. If I had a monitor with a refresh rate higher then 60Hz however, I would probably grow accustomed to even higher frame rates over time. The result of this is anything below what you're accustomed can appear odd and distracting with a choppy-like nature.

Jack
Can you actually see those higher FPS or is it more in the imagination, i.e because you know it's there therefore you see it. Not meant as an insult, just wondering how this all works because at lower FPS, beyond a certain limit, I don't see the difference. OR it's my equipment, hardware and wetware.

The difference is definitely there. Search the web for 30FPS vs 60FPS comparisons which play game footage side by side recorded at the two frame rates and you can definitely see the difference providing there aren't any reasons that would limit your ability to do so.

Monitors with refresh rates up to 144Hz exist because they do make a difference, these products are intended for people with high end graphics solutions that can drive games to these refresh rates.

Jack

There's a BIG difference between 30 and 60 FPS when you pay attention to details such as the movement of valve gear, main rods and spoked wheels, of course you are not gonna notice any of that when you post screenshots for bragging rights of trains that are standing still.

There's a BIG difference between 30 and 60 FPS when you pay attention to details such as the movement of valve gear, main rods and spoked wheels, of course you are not gonna notice any of that when you post screenshots for bragging rights of trains that are standing still.

That is true, although the very action of recording video will muck up framerates as well. I should know, as I've tried recording video whilst running Trainz myself.

Shane

A good screen recorder won't hit your framerate too hard. I've been using ScreenFlow (Mac only, $100) for all of my recordings and my framerate has little to no drops in any game (0-5 fps drop). Even when recording on the Mac side and going into my Windows 7 virtual machine I still get the framerate I would have without recording.

The difference between 30 & 60 fps is huge.

All YouTube videos I watch on my computer on my trusty old Firefox v28 run at 30fps.
Comparatively, if I watch the same video (of course, these would have to be uploaded at 60fps after YouTube started allowing this) on my iPad-Mini with the YouTube app, the framerate will be 60 (if applicable). The difference? The iPad video is much more fluid and smoother. It is much nicer to watch or play in 60fps than 30. 30 can be quite choppy compared to 60fps.

Cheers,
SM

Back