T:ANE - not buying it

...There may be pleas for "love not war" but they will always fail...
This is not true with many other forum communities of which I have been a part. For the most part, the rude behavior of many members here are like a bunch of kiddies crying in the sandbox.

For cryin' out loud, I have easily spent double on "house architecture" software; two different companies claiming to solve all my house design needs. Neither company could deliver a product that could produce a simple split-level home without the user needing a software engineering degree to do it. I found freeware that worked far better! Whine? No. Just walked away.

Hi everybody.
This thread is entitled “T:ANE not buying it” therefore as one of the very large number of traditional Trainz supporters/customers I have certainly not been “crying my eyes out” but rather more than pleased that I did not fall for all the hype and promises of the Kickstarter campaign and therefore have so far saved my hard earned income.

Since the launch day on the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] of may I have regularly read the reviews of Trainz New Era on the Internet which I would estimate to be between 5 to 7 negative reviews for each positive review. However, reviews both positive and negative can be posted for a variety of reasons which again has already been much discussed in this thread.

Therefore when reading negative reviews I always look for a “trend” over a number of postings. In the foregoing I have found the “crash to desktop” being prominent and general in many, therefore I am led to believe that the bug very much exists. Other problems consistent over a considerable number of reviews would be overheating of hardware, stuttering/lag, and application not performing as expected when shadows are turned on even when system is in line with maximum requirements. In view of the above, for the first time in many releases I will still not be purchasing Trainz New Era at this point in time.

With every respect to earlier posters in this thread, I will most certainly not be buying T:ane just to support “Tony and the crew”. N3V are commercial organisation who like any other business its first priority is to provide satisfactory products to its customers and through that profit to its owners or shareholders. If any commercial organisation’s products are unsatisfactory then they do not deserve customers, and their owners do not deserve profits.

In a capitalist society, to support any commercial organisation by way of subsidising products that are substandard means that organisations that are producing good quality products of the same nature lose revenue and incentive to the loss of everyone interested in those products.

I like many others will stay back and reserve my purchase to let T:ane stand or fall by way of the product now, or the improvements that can be made in the future.

Nothing else should be brought into judgement.
Bill

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
This thread is entitled “T:ANE not buying it” ...
Bill
An honest reason for not being on-board at this time. Now why can't everyone just say it like that without resorting to insults and other invective?

Being on the bleeding edge is not for everyone. Since being active in the Dev side, I can say that progress is being made but since this is all for the future, it's not something that can be appreciated right now. Some day it may be what you expect and all this will be history.

Although I just hate all the Bashing of N3V, and Bashing of T:ANE ... I can think of no other video game manufacturer in the world, that took pre-orders, and used kickstarter funds, to create a game, that was still largely unfinished, up until the late promised, release date... then it was released it to the public, even though it was still largely unfinished, as a WIP ... Grand Theft Auto was released as a finished game, and required no SP's.

It was understandable that several more stretch goals would be needed, in several more SP's through 2015, 2016, 2017 ... but a game that does not work on several basic operational planes, is really, rediculous.

T:ANE should not have been released until Christmas 2016

I'm assuming you finally opened up the game?

So never let someone else's images, be they good, bad or neutral decide for you. Or at least don't make claims that you haven't verified personally.

When I get the same results I'll be happy to say so, but so far many of us have not. We're not going to sugarcoat the results to give a bad game good PR. On the flipside, we're not out to give a good game bad PR, so I don't know where you're getting the idea that the many people who are stating that the game simply does not function (for good reason) are out to destroy the company...

Seriously, adjust your tinfoil hat a bit there...

I have heard that several people, and the TrainzDev team, are getting pretty good results in T:ANE ... So it should improve with future SP's ... Unless you go on a mission to put N3V out of business, with bad advertisement

I not only heard, I also saw with my own eyes a certain man who walks on wind posting 7FPS on Hinton at 1024x768. He has yet to address that or prove that the recent fixes make any tangible improvement. The only bad advertisement here is the product itself.

When you yourself only have hardware barely capable of running TRS06 that kind of puts you entirely outside N3V's target audience, so don't come here and tell us to continue throwing money at them.

Like most trainzers not read or not want to read what the see and not see:
34 fps is with ALL sliders full!!! and up to 6-10 consists running same time!
if trimmed little bit to high it runs 45-60 fps 90% of the entire route that is what i call progress but i did show this already in June July and it seems in deaf man's ears.
The good news is this is all in test versions not the final build yet so lots of room for improvement on both sides.

Great for you Roy, for most other people it runs like crap. On my system with a GTX980 I'm getting between 3 and 15 FPS on the default routes. In TS12, my city route caps at 60 FPS, but in T:ANE it doesn't get over 20.

If you want to help, that's fine, but currently you're just coming off as annoying by downplaying problems that others are having.

You have to show me your computer config with all the bells and whistles, also check update all your drivers to the latest.
What windows are you running.When running T:ANE try to switch off not needed apps.

I never said anywhere I was downplaying other people's T:ANE problems far from.
Each time I say yes there is still work to do bugs to fix things to repair,polish left and right.
The results I show if you look a little bit positive are more than encouraging.

I still see here on the forum a handful of people complaining only not sharing experience or trying to solve.

I made a flyover 1/4 of the route to show the size of the routes and 3D mountain ranges using one of Rob725 planes sliders max again and I said in the message on youtube this is not to show a smooth flight but much more the potential of T:ANE already capable of handling.
Still people feel to post that they can run a much smoother video with any route. Apples and pears both fruit, different taste.

T:ANE the way I see it was designed to work with LOD based assets and all assets should be 100% compliant as close but with loss of performance.

Now somebody buy's T:ANE and start blindfold importing an old route into T:ANE well that is asking for the known trouble.

Even the built-in routes are ALL not up to date but as good as possible and that is why you see very different performances ( and performance loss)on those routes depending on the computer it is running on .

My homework last year and this year was preparing in TS12 and make TANE ready old and very old assets "up to date" so they run on T:ANE.

Now the majority of all assets (2.000-3.000 assets) I use about 55 different speedtrees and all track LOD based .

ALL the remaining assets are than a heavy burden on the real performance T:ANE could give but cannot due to lack of LOD assets etc.

Also ground textures: still have a bunch of old one's that need optimisation.
Mine are all 3-4 seasons same for the trees and many 3rd party assets i made 2 seasons which, yes again puts a weight on T:ANE's performance .

My work, my routes proofs to me this is the beginning and already pretty good.

On my usual thread I show today a video all sliders Ultra and 12.5 km or 15 km (but you not need 15 km all the time).i call it 50 shades of smooth.

It is handy T:ANE has a shortkey toggle draw distance up or down while driving.
I can imgaine later we could make triggers in the track that we can set the draw distance we want to see at certain locations.

Great for you Roy, for most other people it runs like crap. ...

If you want to help, that's fine, but currently you're just coming off as annoying by downplaying problems that others are having.
When did the some become "most" people?
Rather than annoying, I find it encouraging that with the right equipment, better results are possible. Sure, it's in a test environment right now but that means progress is being made.

Back