Sneak Peek at Trainz Simulator 2009 front page...

This line kinda scares me: "Twice the detail - trains, terrain and textures in higher resolution." Now I have one of last remaining low-end computer this side of a museum. What will be the Minimum System Requirements for running T09?

I hope it works on Wine Linux..

ATM I have 2006 running under Linux and it flies. Much better than windows in terms of rendering speed. I have my resolution at 1680x1050 and its silky smooth. Anyways, give it a try if you like and compare the 2.

I dnt think so.
There are enough games around with blood and guts without adding that sort of crud to the trains series of games.

No all you do is put it on line. Mount the six most popular maps on a server so we can co-operate and game play like the internet was designed or modified to do. I am sick of playing against the bots!!
Cheers
Rod

Rather selfish don't you think?

With due respect why? (Directed to all who think this way)
Hell, I know the content creators are going to scream, they already are as we find what wont run in TC3. Unfortunately that is progress.
Do you want to stay with an Atari console because you have 500 floppy disc's full of games?
Really what you are saying is that "I don't want to upgrade my content or my computer.. But I want to upgrade my game with all these new features"
Well I am sorry, but if you don't want to upgrade you really have to stay with TRS 2004 or 2006. After all according to Auran their are heaps of people around the World still playing UTC beause their computers are not up to running TC.
Lets all be reasonable about this, please. To improve the Sim we are going to have to accept some pain.
You are going to feel much worse when you spend the bucks, buy new technology and find your floppy disc no longer has a device to load it into :D
Cheers
Rod

I hope it works on Wine Linux..

ATM I have 2006 running under Linux and it flies. Much better than windows in terms of rendering speed. I have my resolution at 1680x1050 and its silky smooth. Anyways, give it a try if you like and compare the 2.
To all Linux Geeks!! :eek:
Is their already a Linux thread out there that tells us how to do this?
I have a spare core2 2.4 m machine here I would like to play around with. But being Linux ignorant :wave:
I would need a lot of help.
Is it possible you Linux savvy people could set up a Trainz Linux Forum and get some of us going?
Go on you know you want to :D
Cheers
Rod

Interesting point you raise comtrain. I have a spare pc in similar situ and would be tempted to dabble in Linux. I have heard of this Wine prog which can allow you to run programmes which would be confined to Windows machines. Did buy a Linux mag with a cd that allowed you to boot from the disc to see what Linux is like without installing.

The dreaded CMP

It would be great if it will be possible to download stuff without having to use the iniquitous CMP!

But I suppose that would be too much to ask for!

Ian

It would be great if it will be possible to download stuff without having to use the iniquitous CMP!

Ian

Yes it would. CMP is a great application when you use it correctly. It has already been announced that the application will be even developed further and should perform even better. No chance you will ever get a Trainz version without it anymore.

For thos who wonder ... I am not being sarcastic or cynical here. I truly like CMP a lot.

Ian

Hello Ian,
I never ever start my downloads using the CMP :)
I never got it to work for me. I just use the 2004 method.
http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS.php
You just tick the content you want. I usually tick UTC, 2004, 2006 and TC. I reset the page to show 100 images a page with photos so I could get to see the object should it be in another language. I have broadband and I can handle it this way. Stuff tends to be listed here up to a week before you see it on CMP, although that has been improved a bit lately. You can ftp download, which I prefer, or add it to the basket. Basket downloads and direct downloads then open CMP and get listed there. Simply start downloading. Every now and then you get a red bar telling you the asset cannot be found, even though the system tells you it exists.
Also you often get CMP stalling and yet other objects have not downloaded. Take note of the next asset to download right click it and delete it. Press start and downloads will continue. Go into the 2004 Downloads page try to FTP download the troublesome asset there. If that does not work, report the fault to Auran or just keep trying each couple days till it fixes itself.
Cheers
Rod

Last edited:
Hi Rod,

That looks very interesting! I also have TRS004 installed, so won't any download using your method go straight into TRS004?

Also could you please tell me how to reset the page to show 100 images?

Cheers,
Ian

...the 100 per page, is a good thing...

:cool: ...because you can examine all the options, on the DLS.

Content Manager Plus, is a great utility provided with TRS2006...

You can do so much more with CMP, than TrainzObjects, that was designed for TRS2004, and I still use, and have contributed to Terry's website, via PayPal.

Yes, you need to check all the content options you wish to purvey, CMP only does what content is 2+.

In fact, I need to go to the DLS, and see what has been added, this week...

Hi Rod,

That looks very interesting! I also have TRS004 installed, so won't any download using your method go straight into TRS004?

Also could you please tell me how to reset the page to show 100 images?

Cheers,
Ian

Actually that leads to another problem :hehe:
If you have trs2006 on your computer I have a feelng that if you re-install trs2004 on your computer, then all downloads will go into 2004. However next time you open up CMP it will change your downloads to 2006. You may have to download something for this to happen.
That is why I prefer to ftp my downloads then I can load them into program of choice and usually both.
You can manually set the dls up to your choice in trs2004 . But I cannot rememer the exe that does the job and I deleted 2004 for Classics3
Cheers
Rod

Hi
Just a quick one.

Is 2009 backward incompatible with a layout created in TRS2004?:)

I am guessing here that you meant "Will I lose my 2004 layout if I upgrade to TC?" You cannot run any map in an oplder version without a complicated conversion process. Some have done it but not to 2009 obviously)

Thats hard for me to answer :confused:
I have a map I imported into UTC, then took it to 2004 without a problem. I then took it to 2006 and lost all my sessions stuff, however the map survived. After cleanng out all the session stuff I tried t rebuild them, but a 2006 bug after SP1 was installed meant that I never got much satisfaction and I discontinued using rules to control AI trains.
I then deleted all of the US stuff from TC1 and 2 as well took out the trams as I have no interest there.
I then imported my old map from 2006 and it arrived, however missing most of its assets. Following another thread I then imported all of the Australian Rolling Stock I had, plus all the missing assets for my map. I repaired them as best I could using Content Manager and then opened the map, and it worked fine. Not a problem. Even AI sessions seems to work, and shutting TC down does not seem to make a difference anymore.
I have not moved the map into TC3 because I use steam engines and they don't operate in TC3 with out serious upgrading.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Rod

...no dulcoat...

You won't lose any route, car, locomotive, scenario, session, textures, objects, track, etc.

You will install TRS2009, and go on with it!

You will always have the Legacy software to play with it...

Same as I have TRS2004, however I only use TRS2006.

Compatibility, is not something to worry about, at this time!

Back