Signal box needed more space....

magickmaker

5447.1396730306.jpg

Well... that's different. Note, the axles are still on it, and it looks like the wheels are actually supporting some of the weight.

Dunno bout you, but this is just BEGGING to be modeled.

Hi,

Immediately after Word War II quite a number of such makeshift contraptions could be seen alongside German tracks. Initially they were a quick way to fix war damage.
Because of the constraints imposed by the communist economy the East German Railways (Deutsche Reichsbahn or DR) had to rely upon such devices until after the end of the communist regime.

Cheers,

Konni

That is a neat looking and great use of unused rail equipment. This I'm sure isn't uncommon. Here's something I came across while out storm chasing along the Hereford sub. We were in La Junta Colorado and I passed this. I remembered seeing this while riding along the van and zoomed right in on the location. :)

Note the old track sleepers along the road. Apparently live hoppers were once filled by the one converted to a storage bin and chute.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.9...9P9zrVeRyyte03IUQ&cbp=12,143.51,,0,0&t=m&z=11

All over the Great Plains and west, I saw former boxcars, dating back to the 1930s, 40's, and 50s still emblazoned with the old railroad names and slogans.

John

Back