Runaway train

Hi John, Bluewater,Averich and everybody.
Many thanks to those that have replied in response to my earlier posting on procedure and safety in the Canadian/American rail systems. what you basically seem to be advising is that the power units are left running basically 24/7 so as to avoid start-up procedures and safety checks. The foregoing is understandable and is a problem we have had to deal with in the British road transport industry in recent years.

With the development of heavy goods road transport in the UK from the 1960s until 2005 it became predominant in the 1990s for vehicles to become double shifted and then treble shifted meaning that the vehicles are not stood down at any time as three drivers will carry out an eight-hour shift on the same vehicle. It soon became apparent with the development of these changes that dangerous defects and accidents where being caused because vehicles were not receiving safety and mechanical checks in the way that they would when there is perhaps a four or five hour stand down downtime.

Safety personnel involved in the industry in cooperation with the vehicle Inspectorate then introduced what is now a statutory system of changeover checks where every driver prior to the commencement of driving a vehicle has a tick box type form to complete which has listed all the checks that have to be made prior to leaving the start point and on completion of his duties with that vehicle. The list is very comprehensive and initially it bought many complaints regarding the time it took for each employee to complete the listing.

However, pressure from the large road haulage companies on the manufacturers of the vehicles has now cut that time dramatically by computer automating much of the procedure. By pressing a button in the cab, brake air pressures are now measured over a three-minute period with the engine shutdown and any loss of pressure however slight is registered by a notification on the vehicle computer. Likewise the hydraulic system, electrical system and trailer couplings all checked in the same manner. The foregoing only leaves the driver to check the tyres for cuts and tread depth which all can be completed within a few minutes and the form can be handed into the office prior to leaving and a copy retained by the driver which can be handed to the vehicle Inspectorate if he/she is stopped on the road. A copy of the check is also retained on the vehicle computer for up to 3 months.

I outline all the above as it does show what can be achieved when there is a desire in an industry by both management and employees to solve problems and safety issues. Perhaps following this rail tragedy the same can be done across the Canadian/American rail networks. As John Citroen has advised in a different thread it is complacency which causes accidents in life. Perhaps it was complacency regarding cold start procedures and ways of avoiding them and modernising them that has led to this accident and great loss of life.

Sadly it very often takes an accident for us to learn of the real dangers in any situation. However, it is learning from that accident that always prevents similar accident occurring. Perhaps the investigations into this one will ring the changes in rail procedures across the pond and especially regarding cold start procedure or the avoidance of them

Bill
posted from the 20:25 London Paddington to Taunton HST service. At the rate we are travelling on this delayed train I certainly hope someone's done the safety checks before we left London. (LOL)

Last edited:
especially regarding cold start procedure or the avoidance of them

It's not really the avoidance of them, pretty sure all railway operators check locomotives after each run 'they do where I live', the only time a locomotive is shut down in between breaks is mainly the shunters as they have small engines 'V6 567C's and V6 645E's' and don't need the cold start procedures as they'll only be shut down for 3 to 4 hours, run for 1 to 2 hours and shut down again, it's the ones that are used from 03:50hrs till 00:30hrs that get left on idle during the night and get checked at the loco depot as seen in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB_2YbxoRGY

I recorded it few months ago at 02:00 hrs, these locomotives where built 1985 and none have been scrapped so far as they are the most successful locomotive we've had for the VR, they are pretty much on 24/7, only time their shut down is at South Dynon when they get maintenance done or if one isn't going to be used for a couple of days.

Cheers.

I am no expert on railway operations but would offer the following observations.

In Canada it is common practice to leave locomotives running for days when they are not being used. I often see them idling in the yard near me, not just one, but several (6, 8 10…). It is my understanding that this is done because they are hard to restart, particularly when the temperatures are -20 to -40 °C in the winter, but the practice occurs year round.

The train that ran away in Quebec had a one-man crew, the engineer, as is an accepted and common practice. At the end of his run he parked the train and, according to him, applied hand brakes to 11 cars. After the accident he was suspended without pay by the company chairman, who said that he did not apply enough hand brakes (apparently 11 cars wasn’t enough?). He apparently left the locomotive(s) running, as would be common practice, and it was after he left by taxi for the hotel, that was some distance away, that the fire broke out on the locomotive. The fire was attended by the local volunteer fire department. Volunteer fire departments in small communities are usually made up of local citizens who are not fire-fighters per se but local businessmen, farmers, etc. who respond to emergencies. It would appear form the press that hey decided to shut off the locomotive by pulling the circuit breakers as a precaution after putting out the fire, probably not realizing that the running locomotive was supplying air pressure to ensure the application of the pressurized braking system. The railway company chariman originally blamed the volunteer fire department for the accident by shutting off the locomotive.

“The chairman of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway, Edward Burkhardt, accused firefighters of releasing the train’s brakes when it was stopped in Nantes, around 13 kilometers (eight miles) west of Lac-Megantic, for a crew changeover.
Those firefighters had been called to douse a small fire in one of the train’s five locomotives.

Burkhardt told the daily La Presse that Nantes firefighters “showed up and put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. To do that they also shut down the first locomotive’s engines. This is what led to the disaster.” He explained that the train’s brakes were powered by the locomotive and would have disengaged when it was shut down, causing the driverless train to start rolling downhill towards Lac-Megantic.”

http://statter911.com/2013/07/10/ra...hey-followed-procedures-set-down-by-railroad/

It was only later he decided it was the engineer who was at fault for not setting enough hand brakes.

Edward Burkhardt, whose company is based in Chicago… said Tom Harding, the engineer who went to sleep last Friday night and left the oil-laden train on a siding, may have neglected to put on the hand brakes, adding that MM&A (Montreal, Maine & Atlantic) [Railway] has suspended him without pay.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...kes-on-runaway-train-that-killed-at-least-20/

It was not his (Edward Burkhardt) fault, of course, because he was not there.

According to the following article (Understanding a Runaway Train: How Do Air Brakes Work?) loss of air pressure under these circumstances could result in the loss of braking when the system bleeds to the point where pressure is lost in the individual reservoir on each car.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...runaway-train-how-do-air-brakes-work-15678938

The latest news reports:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ec-explosion-speaks-lawyer-time-disaster.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...-yellow-zone-disaster-first-hand-account.html

Cayden

Unbelievable ... News reports of unauthorized first responder firefighters blatently pushing red buttons (Emergency Fuel Cutoff) on a RR Company's loco's, and pulling up on coupler cut levers ?

Wittness's said the train rolled downhill at a hellish speed, accordianed 40 some loaded tank cars, resulting in the deaths of how many dozens of town citizens ?

When a simple rail chock, or a piece of RR tie would have stopped the train from rolling away ... Unbelievable !

News reports are: That the train rolled downhill, uncoupled, away from the locomotives that had 5 handbrakes applied, and 11 railcar handbrakes applied ... did someone pull up on the coupler "cut lever" handle also ?

1373407705000-AP-Canada-Oil-Train-Derailment-001-1307091809_4_3.jpg

0708-canada-train-derailment_full_600.jpg

130708040938_07-07-2013 quebec train crash2 640x360 16x9.jpg

AP_canada_oil_train_derailment_tk_130708_16x9_992.jpg

Smoothe move Ex-Lax ... Nozzle Nutz ... "Hey, what happens when I press this big Red Button" ?

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Cascade I have always respected your views and comments on this forum but, living in Somerset, United Kingdom which is a very rural area we rely entirely on volunteer firefighters to turn out whenever there is an emergency on the roads or fires in our homes or businesses. One of those firefighters is female and works in my business as a legal typist. She is highly skilled in the work that she does for me/us as she is highly skilled in the work she does for the community in her firefighting duties. Over the years that I have lived in this part Britain those firefighters have saved many lives rescuing people trapped in cars on the motorway following accidents, as well as saving many following fires wherever they are situated. To describe them as nuzs is disparaging and insulting and I hope you would have the good grace to withdraw your comments.

With regard to them shutting down the engine of the power car it would be obvious to anyone who thought about it that it would be obligatory to do so as well as standard procedure. What would you have them do try to fight the fire in the power car which was probably full of smoke and where there would be the engines fans, belts and pulleys rotating and where there would be a high likelihood that you could put your hand or leg into one of those in all the smoke and confusion. As I have already stated in an earlier posting the fuel and oil pumps on on the engine would be a prime source of combustible material while they were running as well as being a severe threat to the firefighters should a fuel line fracture in the heat and start to spray fuel or oil throughout the power car.

Cayden, many thanks for your comprehensive update in your posting. There are two points I would wish to make regarding those reports. One of them would be the point of air system leak between the rail cars. As I have stated I have no experience in rail investigations following incidents but I have much experience in heavy goods road transport investigations. From my experience I have always found that an air leak on a trailer would not affect the air pressures on the vehicle drive unit due to non-returnable valves used in the system. Therefore should the air pressure fall on the trailer it would have no effect on the drive unit or on its braking system. Why then did the loss of air supply from the power car in this situation affect the brakes on subsequent freight cars throughout the train. I also feel that when vehicles undergo regular maintenance schedules such things as air leaks etc do not occur. During my time as a heavy goods vehicle driver which ended in 1989 a vehicle parked up for the weekend would not lose more than one-five lbs air pressure so there would certainly be no need for the engine to continuously be run over those two days.

My second point would be with regard to Mr Burkhardt. As chairman or managing director of the company he is ultimately responsible for everything which happens within that company. I accept he was not there on the ground when this tragedy happened but he has responsibility for the actions of his employees wherever they occur. He seems very keen to blame the driver/engineer for what has happened but there is also the question of training of employees. Had the engineer received proper and adequate training regarding how many handbrakes should be set versus the number of cars there are in a train. There is also the unanswered questions of whether the engineer was instructed to leave the train on completion of his shift even though the consist had registered a fire emergency earlier in the day.

It would seem Mr Burkhardt has many questions to answer and it also seems he did not wish to do so on his visit to the town which not happen until three days after the tragedy. He also then avoided meeting the mayor of the town who doubtless would have had many stark questions to ask.

Bill

Last edited:
How did the consist become de-coupled from the locomotives that had 5 hand brakes applied (as the 5 loco's were not involved in the derailment, and remained at the top of the gradient) ?

Some firefighters are not trained on what means to extinguish a railroad fire, some would hose down a burning car that reacts violently and chemicaly with water.

Some firefighters are not trained on railroad disaster drills at all ... especially volunteer fire departments.

The small fire was in one of the loco's, and was reported to be quickly extinguished with one fire extinguisher.

I have seen consists that leak 5 lbs of trainline air pressure in 1 minute.

It seems 2 major things happened:
1) engines were shut down, by non-railroad outside personell
2) the train became de-coupled, somehow (or a knuckle broke, on a stationary train, that had 11 handbrakes applied ... very doubtful).

Locos do run almost allways continually when unmanned, and are rarely ever shut down.

Diesel fuel in loco's fuel tanks is very non-expolsive, and very rarely would a fire in a running loco be very hard to extinguish, in the cab, or engine compartment fire.
===========================================
PS: As to a relief fund for survivors of Lac-Magantic, suposedly there is a Facebook page that has 16,000 members, yet I have been unable to find the page.

I felt badly for Amanda Gabriellle, who was but one of the hundereds of survivors, who are now homeless. But as most survivors have no PC, no cell phone, and escaped with just the clothes on their backs, I am having quite alot of difficulty contacting any of the survivors. Can anyone help me contact them ?

Last edited:
The MMA has alleged that the lead locomotive was tampered with subsequent to the engineer leaving; that the diesel engine was shut down, thereby disabling the compressor powering the air brakes which allowed the train to roll downhill from Nantes into Lac-Mégantic once the air pressure dropped in the reservoirs on the cars. Teamsters Canada Rail Conference vice-president Doug Finnson disputes this theory, stating that the key braking system on a stopped, unsupervised train are the hand brakes, which are completely independent from the motor-powered compressor that feeds the air brakes.[SUP][/SUP]

According to Nantes Fire Chief Patrick Lambert, "We shut down the engine before fighting the fire. Our protocol calls for us to shut down an engine because it is the only way to stop the fuel from circulating into the fire".

This man was responsible for the accident.

Hi everybody.
I would wish to make some comments with regard to Cascades posting on this disaster.

Some firefighters are not trained on what means to extinguish a railroad fire, some would hose down a burning car that reacts violently and chemicaly with water.

Certainly here in Britain and throughout Europe and I would suspect both in Canada and the United States on call volunteer fire personnel attend exactly the same courses as their full-time counterparts. They receive exactly the same training and retraining which enables all involved in the fire service to act with the same knowledge and skill in any situation,

Some firefighters are not trained on railroad disaster drills at all ... especially volunteer fire departments.

All large industries have their own fire and emergency drills which are laid down for their own staff who along with others who may be in attendance at any of their sites when an emergency breaks out gives a set of rules and drills to follow. With regard to the fire services who attend their Hazchem knowledge and training will be called into force and carried out in dealing with a fire or other emergency. If the fire services were to start special training for individual industries where would it end? Perhaps there could be special training for the local sewage works…………… The ice cream factory………… Or even the towns undertakers with all the embalming fluids etc involved.

Diesel fuel in loco's fuel tanks is very non-expolsive, and very rarely would a fire in a running loco be very hard to extinguish, in the cab, or engine compartment fire.

Cascade, could you explain that to the families of those who died and those who still suffer from severe burns scarring and mutilation following the Southall rail disaster in 1998. This was where an HST train collided with a freight train which resulted in the lead power cars diesel fuel tank rupturing and spraying fuel backwards over the following passenger cars. The diesel ignited as it did so trapping and burning many in those cars through this very non-explosive fuel.

Engines were shut down, by non-railroad outside personell
The small fire was in one of the loco's, and was reported to be quickly extinguished with one fire extinguisher.

I believe that the reasons for the fire service shutting down the power cars engines has been explained several times in this thread and need not be dealt with further. However, this was the second time that day that the fire service had attended this train due to system malfunction causing fire. As fire in workplace plant is almost always caused by inappropriate use of equipment or poor maintenance, being the second fire of the day people very much have to suspect that poor maintenance on this occasion is the culprit. Therefore it is the railroad company involved and not the volunteer fire service who should be answering questions regarding that.

As for the volunteer fire service, well the girl that works in our office has been a volunteer firefighter for the last five years. 18 months ago she was involved in the rescue on the M5 motorway of two young children trapped in a car following a multi-vehicle accident. She assisted in cutting those young children from the vehicle while their parents lay dead in the front. For that she and the rest of her crew received a special award for the way that they had dealt with the incident. But of course “cascade” you do not need any special training for that, it takes more training to sit in front of your PC Linked to this forum and cast misinformed allegations against those who voluntarily serve their communities in this way.

I will end there while I can still keep this civil.

Bill

Last edited:
How did the consist become de-coupled from the 5 locomotives ???

The 5 locomotives remained at Nantes ... and the runaway consist, with no locomotives, rolled down a 1.2% grade, several miles into Lac-Megantic.

Did someone pull up on the cut lever on the consist, detatching it from the locomotives ?

Does this look like a broken knuckle ? No it is locked shut !

What was the position of the knucle of the rear loco ... Was it opened ???

hi-lac-megantic-cp0469563.jpg

Nowhere has it been brought up that the locomotives were not involved in the runaway downhill.
No locomotives are involved in the actual wreckage. Do you see any locos in any of the wreckage photos ... NO they are not in the wreckage.
No one has brought up question why a coupler failed, or was opened, detaching the railcar consist, from the 5 locomotives.
Company sources stated that a nearby RR trackworker assisted the Nantes fire personell fighting the "small fire" at the summit of the gradient, and that the "small fire" was quickly extinguished ... Company sources stated the trackworker did not have experience to re-start the locos, and that the trackworker was the last person to see the train, when it began to roll away.

Many questions remain unanswered, and simply stating: "The train" rolled downhill as a runaway ... When the "entire train" did not "runaway" ... As the locos remained parked at the summit in Nantes. Hmmmmm ??? Multiple questions are arrising about the rear locomotive coupler, and the rear locomotives "cut lever", and tampering, as the RR Company is stating: "that the train was tampered with" !

Last edited:
As the locos remained parked at the summit in Nantes. Hmmmmm ??? Multiple questions are arrising about the rear locomotive coupler, and the rear locomotives "cut lever", and tampering, as the RR Company is stating: "that the train was tampered with" !

Cascade, that is misinformation; you need to check your sources. The 5 locomotives were not left at the top of the hill.

LAC-MÉGANTIC, QUE.—Five locomotives, the front end of a death train, sit almost completely hidden on a shabby stretch of track nestled within lakeside bush.

A person could pull the stakes out of the rotting and splintered ties with one good yank. Yet this corroded rail line held fast against the wheels of a runaway train’s forward section — the stubby head of the beast — with no engineer at the switch, no human manipulating any of the route.

How this severed section of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railroad freight train got to this location remains a matter of speculation. Officials won’t even reveal when these engines were found, far beyond the fatal jumping off spot where the rest of the 72-car haul crashed into the soft underbelly of central Lac-Mégantic.

To get from there to here, these locomotives would have rolled on right through town, clear around the bend of the bay and then curved back in the opposite direction — about a kilometre in distance from the full-bore impact epicentre.

There was enough forward thrust momentum from the train’s 11-kilometre downhill slide — the gradation incline between neighbouring Nantes and Lac-Mégantic — to send this uncoupled hunk of engines hurtling ’round that entire hook of shoreline before it slowed down to a full stop, causing not a shred of damage.

This is the “other” crime scene, according to RCMP officers who’ve been guarding the far-flung rump of train — squatting in its bucolic arbour — since Sunday. Only on Tuesday did investigators with the Transportation Safety Board catch up with the wayward locomotives as evidence of interest. But of course attention has been focused on the ground zero wreckage of derailed fuel cars that exploded into successive fireballs shortly after midnight Saturday, a furious inferno of gutted tanks and igniting fluids and mangled steel — and the helpless humanity caught in that conflagration.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/..._contradictions_amid_the_despair_dimanno.html

Last edited:
Don Ross, lead TSB investigator, confirmed to the Star that these are the almost forgotten locomotives that somehow became detached from the rest of the train before it barreled into the commercial core of the town, flattening dozens of businesses and multi-dwelling buildings There was enough forward thrust momentum from the train’s 11-kilometre downhill slide — the gradation incline between neighbouring Nantes and Lac-Mégantic — to send this uncoupled hunk train hurtling ... How this severed section of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railroad freight train got to this location remains a matter of speculation. Officials won’t even reveal when these engines were found, far beyond the fatal jumping off spot where the rest of the 72-car haul crashed into the soft underbelly of central Lac-Mégantic.

Last edited:
Yes, it was uncoupled and ended up coasting further down the line, not left at the top of the hill at Nantes. (Which would be impossible if you think about it because for that to happen the locos would have to run around a 72-car train.)

Not mentioned here but don't locos have hand applied brakes in addition to the air operated train brakes? If so I suggest they would have been applied before the driver left the loco after which he applied the other brakes as per protocol. It seems to me that the locos were uncoupled, loco brakes released and subsequently as the braking air leaked, the loaded cars followed the locos. It is possible that the locos were uncoupled and released with no intention of the loaded cars following.

It seems suspiciously like deliberate sabotage, possible eco-sabotage by people who did not foresee the damage they could cause.

Peter

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Apologies for bumping this thread as I have been very busy and unable to post in the past few days. However, it seems to me that some members of this forum are looking for excuses with regard to the railway company and are also speculating about circumstances that will be dealt with by the accident investigation teams. I would imagine that their preliminary report may well be available in the next few days which will almost certainly outline the cause of the uncontrolled runaway.

That said, it must surely be that the future of this railroad company must be in severe doubt as solicitors acting for the families of the bereaved, injured and those that have lost their homes and/or other property are probably landing claims on the desk of Mr Burkhardt amounting to tens of millions of pounds/dollars by the week. Whether the cause of the accident is found to be poor maintenance, vandalism or a failure to carry out appropriate safety procedures by the driver/engineer or management, it will be the railroad company and perhaps their insurers who will find themselves having to meet those claims.

It may well be that if poor maintenance, general procedures and safety issues are found to have played all or a significant part in the cause of this tragedy then insurance companies (if there are any involved) may repudiate liability in this accident. One point which may enable an insurance company to carry out the foregoing would be that in Europe to leave the train unattended and unsecure while relying on continuously running mechanical means to hold it in position would very much contravene the vehicle Hazchem regulations and I would imagine it would be the same in Canada and the United States.

Even if the insurance companies do meet a percentage of the claims you have to wonder who would wish to insure this outfit in the future. I would not wish to see this railroad close and the non-blameworthy employees lose their jobs, but if the present company where to cease trading and the railway where to be taken over by someone else, perhaps that would not be such a bad thing.

Bill
posted from the 16:07 Manchester to Bristol Temple Meads HST service with a pint of cider in my hand and looking forward to a few days off

Last edited:
US and Canadian locos are left running continually (24/7/365) for several reasons. The compressor must stay on, to keep the trainline air pressure, and reservoir up, and the loco control stands are disabled either mechanicly by removing handles, or electronicly locking the loco control stand out so that no one can tamper with the loco and drive it.

I would think that locking the loco doors with a key would be the next security improvement, and making the Emergency Fuel Cut Off switch inoperable to personell outside of the railroad field (including firefighters).

The firefghters left the scene, the trackman that assisted the firefightes left the scene, the dispatcher was notified that the fire was extinguished, and that all persons were done their work, and were leaving, yet no locomotive engineer nor Train Master arrived at the scene, and no chock was put on the track to block a downhill runaway, and it is being kept secret exactly what location on the 11 Km long 1.8% gradient that the consist became decoupled from the 5 locos. This surely was the most perfect location to leave a rolling bomb, parked, on a steep slope !

Something is truely Fishy !

Sound like right out the movie "Atomic Train":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuyUoELEBeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDrRSxUhOU

Last edited:
This is the “other” crime scene, according to RCMP officers who’ve been guarding the far-flung rump of train — squatting in its bucolic arbour — since Sunday. Only on Tuesday did investigators with the Transportation Safety Board catch up with the wayward locomotives as evidence of interest. But of course attention has been focused on the ground zero wreckage of derailed fuel cars that exploded into successive fireballs shortly after midnight Saturday, a furious inferno of gutted tanks and igniting fluids and mangled steel — and the helpless humanity caught in that conflagration.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/..._contradictions_amid_the_despair_dimanno.html

Wait, so this train rolled locomotives first into town - where most/all of the tank cars flipped off the rails from excessive speed - and the locomotives just kept on rolling down the line, coming to rest in this "bucolic arbor"?

It just gets odder and odder, doesn't it?

What if the locomotives were still under power? It is possible that the loco's had the independent set and rolled a ways before the emergency was auto applied...

In reply to the first poster about the Canadian runaway train.

Anyone in Australia find it strange that this happened the day that the movie "Unstoppable" (loosely based on a true story itself) the night before was shown?

Back