Runaway train

Hi Everybody
US and Canadian locos are left running continually (24/7/365) for several reasons. The compressor must stay on, to keep the trainline air pressure, and reservoir up, and the loco control stands are disabled either mechanicly by removing handles, or electronicly locking the loco control stand out so that no one can tamper with the loco and drive it.

I would think that locking the loco doors with a key would be the next security improvement, and making the Emergency Fuel Cut Off switch inoperable to personell outside of the railroad field (including firefighters).

The firefghters left the scene, the trackman that assisted the firefightes left the scene, the dispatcher was notified that the fire was extinguished, and that all persons were done their work, and were leaving, yet no locomotive engineer nor Train Master arrived at the scene, and no chock was put on the track to block a downhill runaway, and it is being kept secret exactly what location on the 11 Km long 1.8% gradient that the consist became decoupled from the 5 locos. This surely was the most perfect location to leave a rolling bomb, parked, on a steep slope

If USA and Canadian locos have to be left running continuously to keep up the train air brake pressure then something has to be wrong. First, modern air braking system should not and do not leak. If they do it is a sure sign of inadequate and poor maintenance by the operators. Back in the 1960s and through until 1990s the old type plunger tap connections on vehicles used to develop leaks on a regular basis when continuously being connected and disconnected during vehicle shunting. However, the modern Suzie type connections have proved to be a huge improvement with even the smallest of leaks rarely occurring while carrying out the same number of operations. The foregoing is my own personal experience in the British road haulage industry.

My second thought on the matter would be that even if a leak did develop following an engine shutdown that should not bring about the release of the vehicle(s) braking system as loss of air pressure apply modern braking systems and not release them. Basically it is loss of air pressure in the airlines on the application of the brakes from the cab that allows air from the trailer (or rail freight car in this case) reservoir tanks to enter a second system and apply the brakes. Non-return air valves stop air transferring between the two systems and therefore the reservoir tanks cannot drain. The only way these air reservoir tanks can be drained is manually normally from underneath the vehicle. Maintenance fitters and shunter drivers often drain them this way while carrying out their duties as it saves having to continuously connect and disconnect the Suzie airlines while moving trailers around.

Cascade, your obsession with no one else but railway personnel shutting down rail locos is somewhat beyond belief. Let’s take a scenario that a train is parked up in an oil refinery with a cargo of crude oil, the engine left running and the driver/engineer has gone off duty. A fracture then occurs in one of the engines injector pipes which is certainly not an unknown situation with diesel engines as these lines convey diesel under high pressure to the engine. The diesel then sprays across the engine block onto the exhaust manifold and catches fire. Within minutes the loco is ablaze and is quickly attended by the on-site fire-fighters and safety personnel quickly followed by the district fire service all ready for action. However, under cascades “rail personnel only” none of them can shut down the engine or even turn off the external diesel supply tap from the tank. The loco blazes away, the fire fuelled by the still flowing diesel pipe, it then sets fire to the overhead gantry pipelines, this spreads the fire to the bitumen and heavy oil tanks and then to the petrol silos and we then have one of the world’s great firework displays on our hands.

Fire-fighters will always shutdown any running machinery while attending an emergency. Every commercial business knows this and it is for them to ensure that an equipment shutdown does not turn into a full-scale disaster for the business and especially for the community as has happened on this occasion. The European Hazchem regulations state that vehicles carrying cargoes covered by the legislation are not allowed to be left unattended or un-monitored at any time. So for this train to be left in the way that this consist was would be totally illegal in Europe and my feelings are that it is probably the same in Canada and the United States.

If not then this terrible tragedy proves it certainly should be.
Bill

If you turn off locomotives compressors, the trainline air pressure WILL bleed off rather quickly (due to a rule that allows less than 1lb of air leak per 5 minutes ... If you turn off locomotives compressors, the trainline reservoir air pressure WILL bleed off slowly and will disable all air braking.

If someone tampers with the locomotive, and shuts them down, shutting down the locomotive air compressors, this WILL cause a runaway !

No if, and's, or but's about it !

Hi Cascade.
Would you care to expand on your statement ref loss of air pressure disabling brakes as counter to my explanation and expierience.
I am always willing to learn something new even at my age
Bill

Only thing I'm slightly confused is the way the auto brake cylinder triple valve works, dropping brake pipe pressure dumps air from the aux res through the triple valve then into the brake cylinder, so if the brake pipe is 0 then it should cause a full brake application on all brake cylinders, keeping air charge in the brake pipe will release the brakes (50 PSI brake Cylinder and 50 PSI aux res equalized pressure, when that falls below brake pipe pressure triple valve releases the brakes), the brake pipe it's self isn't linked to the brake cylinders like on cars, trucks and buses.

So how would keeping all locos running hold the brakes on when it's the aux res that keeps them on? the only reason why we leave locomotives running 24/7 where I live is because of the 2hr check list before using on the main line per loco and when you need to get 5 or 6 online by 05:00 to get the first peak hour passenger trains ready and only a few crews you won't get them all online in time.

Cheers.

Azervich, that is exactly it. zero pressure in brake airline should apply the brakes to the maximum from the freight cars air tanks. These tanks should not be able to drain through loss of pressure in the supply line. That might be possible if they where applied and released continuously until the air pressure was exhausted. However that would take dozens of applications and releases while the train was stopped for it to runaway. while you where doing that the audio alarms would be blasting your ears off.

As stated, perhaps Cascade can explain how as he sees it it could happen otherwise.
Bill

There are 2 systems on US/Canadian air brakes, the trainline is charged, releasing the brakes ... the air resivoirs are charged providing air to the "air brake portion" ... if the "Air Brake Portion-Resivoirs are empty/discharged/blead off ... a train will have NO air braking capability ... it takes air pressure to push out on the brake piston ... this air pressure is in the charged air brake resivoirs.

When the trainline hoses connection is severed it allows the air brake resivoirs to release their air, to the air brake portion, to push out on the air brake piston.

So lack of air pressure applies the brakes ... but it also takes air pressure to make the "air brake portion" function.

No air pressure ... no braking.

Due to the fact that there are millions of railcars traversing the Contenent, there is no way to repair all the air brake defects, on millions of loaded railcars in use.

A US train may have more 20 leakers on any given train, some that have a excessive air leak defect ... No doubt railcar repair in the US is truely inadequate.

Some traincars are "kickers", ones that have their trainline air brake control valve in set in the "cut out" position, intentionally disabling it brakes, just in order to get the train to its destination, and then hopefully a car inspector will "Bad Order" the defective railcar for repair.

On system, company, railcars are the most defective, as repairing ones own RR equipment does not generate billing income to the RR company.
A RR loves a foriegn railcar, as they can bill the foriegn railcar conpany thousands of dollars per repair

Last edited:
Heard this on the news and they said the engineer was at fault for improperly setting the brakes. I guess he set the independent/locomotive brakes but not the train brakes.

There are 2 systems on US/Canadian air brakes, the trainline is charged, releasing the brakes ... the air resivoirs are charged providing air to the "air brake portion" ... if the "Air Brake Portion-Resivoirs are empty/discharged/blead off ... a train will have NO air braking capability ... it takes air pressure to push out on the brake piston ... this air pressure is in the charged air brake resivoirs.

When the trainline hoses connection is severed it allows the air brake resivoirs to release their air, to the air brake portion, to push out on the air brake piston.

So lack of air pressure applies the brakes ... but it also takes air pressure to make the "air brake portion" function.

No air pressure ... no braking.

Due to the fact that there are millions of railcars traversing the Contenent, there is no way to repair all the air brake defects, on millions of loaded railcars in use.

A US train may have more 20 leakers on any given train, some that have a excessive air leak defect ... No doubt railcar repair in the US is truely inadequate.

What the hell are you talking about, man? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_(rail)
So now your argument is "there were more than 20 leaks on the MMA train" and that caused the derailment.

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

I worked for the RR ... I have seen it happen !

The air brake system is designed to work (in theory, on paper) ... but it does not have an ultimate failsafe ... brakes are not spring loaded ... air braking systems can fail ... and sometimes they DO fail ... air brakes can be over ridden, disabled, by tampering, or by severe air brake defects, or inproper procedures !

One of which is "Shutting Down Locomotives engine fuel supply" ... disabling the air brake compressor.

Fact ... No if's, and's, or but's, about it !

Shut down a loco ... runaways are almost sure to happen !

Last edited:
Well there you have it.

While I'll keep my grains of salt handy until the OFFICIAL word comes out about this, I'll take the word of someone who actually worked on a railroad over the "on paper" theory of the system any day.

I work on old organs and amplifiers, and I have NO degree at all. Yet, I can troubleshoot rings around "papered" techs because I've been at it for 30+ years and I know how the gear "really" works in the real world - paper theory and intended operation be damned.

Hi cascade and everybody.
Cascade, what you have described in your last three postings on this thread is a terrible indictment of the American/Canadian railway system and all those that manage it. I believe the system you describe two postings back where at least some air pressure is needed in the main feed line to enable the air reservoir tanks of the trailer or rail freight car to act has not been allowed to be fitted to any vehicle both road or rail in Europe since the mid-eighties.

Vehicles that already had the system fitted when the legislation was enabled have been allowed to continue in use but happily now are few and far between. I would not have believed that America and Canada (if the situation is the same Canada) being technically advanced nations would not have seen and experienced the same dangers in that system and then enacted similar legislation.

However, perhaps the saddest thing you have stated in your postings is the complete disregard in many operations of regular maintenance. To say that these rail freight cars do many thousands of miles across the country and therefore it is impossible for them all to be regularly checked and maintained is just not acceptable at any level in today’s heavy transport industry. You describe freight cars having their brakes disabled entirely just so they can continue in use. You also describe heavy air leaks being accepted as “normal” together with an attitude of “Oh if you just leave the engine running, it will be all right”.

Well, as can be seen from this tragedy, attitudes such as the foregoing always finish up in tears eventually when it proves to be not “all right”. I am not a paper theorist, as I have worked in the transport industry since 1963 starting as a heavy goods vehicle driver before progressing to the senior safety officer and since 2006 have run my own company carrying out accident/incident investigations and safety audits on behalf of employers and insurance companies based in the transport industry. In Britain that industry has successfully increased safety and thereby reduced accidents by over 80% since 1974.

However cascade, what you advise deeply saddens me as coming from a generation who has always looked up to America and Canada as the world leaders who set standards for us Europeans to follow, it now seems that it is the almighty dollar that rules in its transport industry and that lives matter little. That said cascade, I do respect your candid advice on the true situation in the rail industry in your part of the world. There have been many threads on this forum regarding America having its own high-speed rail network. Well, all I can say is that the railways will certainly have to up their game by many levels if they are to achieve that and run those services without having numerous tragedies on their hands

Bill

CSX, NS, Conrail, Amtrak, CP, CN, VIA, M&MR, are all different, private enterprise corporations, with FRA inspectors showing up every once in a while to keep them in line with rules and regulations.

If not for the FRA the RR's would pinch pennies, with just enough maintenace to get trains from point A to point B ... believe me ... RR's are in the business to make as much short term money in the least amount of time, with the least expenditures.

ie: one man train crews, and closing thousands of railcar service facilities

Sad but true !

But as I said: What initally started a chain of events, that caused this accident was: The shutting down of the locos. and cutting off their fuel supply, by fire personell ... if that had not happened, 50 people would be alive today ... and we would not have had this discussion.

Also a "Trackman", that assisted the firemen in shutting down the locos, and extinguishing the SMALL fire, was working outside of his job discription, as trackmen are not qualified as car inspectors, nor are they certified as conductor or engineers.

Air braking systems have gone virtually unchanged in the US, as retrofitting millions of railcars, or scrapping older ones would cost trillions ... so brand new railcars still employ the same type of air brake portions, resiviors, and air brake systems as older cars still do. EABS was a novile idea, and still exists on unit trains, but air brakes are largely the same technology of the 1960's (or older).

Throw a train of scrap gons on that same hill, loaded with dirt, and shut down the locos fuel supply ... and it would probably result, of the same braking failure.

I'd be willing to bet that new laws are enacted, that all shut downs of locos ... requre track chocks, and or a TrainMaster being preset at the scene.

A train must be inspected, and walked by a car inspector, checking for defects. I personally worked with car inspectors that falsified reports, by jotting down the first car number, and the last car number, and sometimes they would apply air lines, and charge the train, and sometimes would check if the last car applied it's brakes, in an Initial Terminal Air Test ... while some car inspectors completely falsified reports, and let trains go out of the terminal untested ... one made it to Valley Forge, with 78 hotbox's due to no oil in the bearings (shows how old I am ... hot box's ... friction bearings). Alot of car inspectors are passed on, some are replaced in by huge job cuts, where there are now only 2 roving car inspectors, as previously there were 40.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread because of some additional info released within the last day or so. FRA investigators have said tests revealed the rail cars were carrying a Class 3, Group II flammable liquid, not the Class 3, Group III liquid shown on the manifest. They say the refinery in New Brunswick has responsibility for the labeling of the liquid. Group II has a much lower ignition point than a Group III liquid, according to the release, which helps explain why the fire started so quickly and exploded with such intensity. They also attribute the locomotive fire prior to the derailment to a broken piston in the engine that caught fire. According to protocol, the engine should have been shut down when it was parked if it is smoking heavily, emitting fuel oil out the exhaust, and sparking. Recordings of conversations between the engineer and dispatchers indicate he reported the problem of heavy smoking but was not instructed to shut the engine down. Also, because of insufficient insurance to cover claims and probable lawsuits, the MM&A has filed for bankruptcy. Canada says there are no laws pertaining to where trains carrying hazardous materials can be parked and left running and unmanned. The "perfect storm" of what can lead to a disaster?

Such a sad occurrence, a bankrupted RR, dozens dead, and trillions in insurance payouts to victims, a town destroyed ... and a train left parked on a -1.8%, 11 mile long, downhill gradient, could have been held in place with several "Rail Chocks" costing less than $100

https://www.google.com/search?q=rai...poHwDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1424&bih=713&dpr=1

Did you know that a modern diesel locomotive ... if you chock its all it's wheels (in all directions) with 24 Quarters, that in one shove of the throttle, it will not be able to power up and over the 24 Quarters (however repeated reverse to forward, heaving and hoeing, it may be able to eventually squeesh the quarters and eventually be able to power up and over the 24 Quarters). So a train could have been hypotheticly chocked in place, with mere $6 in coins !

Last edited:
I've never really thought about it, but I am surprised that an unmanned loco (train) isn't regularly chocked... esp on a grade.

Meanwhile, have they said what caused the actual run away?

I look at this tragic mess as something that was caused by big companies trying to save a buck and cut corners. The railroad was originally the Bangor and Aroostook who wanted to pull up tracks. The MM&A took over the operations, but instead of putting money back into the infrastructure, they ran what they could as far as they could into the ground. A good example is the small crews and the track worker working on the locomotive. I suppose that being a short line, this wouldn't be uncommon as employees may wear multiple hats in the course of a week. This scenario isn't too uncommon. The suits and investors want their instant financial returns and will suck a company dry rather than rebuild and replace equipment. I saw this at the Polaroid spin-off I worked at. The management walked off with investor cash while the rest of us took salary cuts. We also never had any PC upgrades while management drove BMWs and expensive Porches and Mercedes. Keeping this in mind, apply this to a railroad and you have track that is never rehabilitated after the purchase, locomotives that are running on their last wheels, and everything else that's ready to fall apart.

Now, we add in the refinery placing the wrong label on the oil. This is probably done to save the shipping costs. The more risky product most likely costs more to ship so by putting the wrong label on it, they can save quite a few bucks. I saw this kind of thing when I was in international shipping. We had to follow specific rules for universal product shipping codes, and even special customs tariff codes. We were only shipping paper, plastic sheets, and ink-covered sheets and we followed the codes to the letter. If a manufacturer or supplier uses the wrong codes, they can be fined and the people responsible can go to jail. We had one customer from South America who wanted us to use a different code for paper to avoid the custom's fees. We refused to comply and they had to find another supplier for their paper. If I had listened to the customer and did this, I could have been fined personally for $250,000 and sent to jail for 2 years. This wasn't something I wanted to put it bluntly.

So now we wait and see how the rest of this plays out. I'm curious too what the rest of the investigation shows, but from a corporate standpoint, I see money as the root of everything right in the beginning.

John

Can someone explain something to me about all this. I always understood that the Westinghouse air brake system was a fail safe system, and that springs held the brakes in the "brake" position until such time as a loco began to build up air pressure in the system, the force of the air pressure being able to counteract the force of the springs and release the brakes. If a moving train pulled a coupler and broke in half, the free half would be prevented from becoming a run away since the springs without air pressure would apply the brakes and the run away portion would come to a stop. So how was this train, with a now dead locomotive, able to run away? Did they change the original system to a "better" system that is not fail safe, or what?

It is not a fail safe, when one, or both, of the 2 air resivoiurs air presure is psssssst away ... the brakes no longer function as a failsafe ...it can be accidently blead off, depleted by multiple rapid brake applications, or if the air compressor fails, or is disabled, or sabotaged ... It takes air pressure from one of the 2 charged air reservoirs, to push out on the brake piston ... it is not spring loaded.

The two air reservoirs act in ballance with each other ... the one, when charged, releases the piston by pushing back on it, and holds it retracted ... but when its airline is ruptured it triggers the control valve, and the piston is forced out by the 2nd air portion.

Basicly it takes air pressure to release the brakes ... and it takes a second air pressure to apply the brakes

Last edited:
Related:

[video=youtube_share;jB_pB7lDDpI]http://www.youtube.com/jB_pB7lDDpI?t=5m18s[/video]

Last edited:
Back