Request for HD Terrain Routes

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
1. We're preparing an update for TRS22 owners which will provide compatibility to load HD routes, and we're looking for a couple of example routes showcasing the new details.

Does anyone have anything they think might be suitable? If so, please let us know here or through PM.

Ideally something that isn't too big, and uses primarily built-in content. Even if it's only some small sections updated that would be fine.

DLS doesn't support 5.3 routes yet so we'll need to host the route elsewhere.

Since there will also be questions about TRS22 and HD support, here is a brief list:
  • can load HD terrain routes at "Basic" shader level (which is a higher performance option with resolution somewhere between 5m grid and full HD detail)
  • cannot edit the HD terrain (or textures)
  • can convert HD routes back to 5m or 10m grid (allowing terrain and texture edits with some loss of detail from HD)

2. We'd also love to see some before and after screenshots if you have any from your own testing/route building.

Hi Tony --

I missed this when you first posted it. Any responses yet? Or am I too late?

I've been toying with updating one of my T:ANE one baseboard layouts to include HD terrain, "Clear Lake Mining". It's got some really rugged terrain that should look considerably better in HD.

Questions:
What is your timeframe? It might take me a couple of weeks to complete. That's assuming that I manage to master at least the basics of Surveyor 2 (which I've avoided using thus far).
What will you guys do with it? Will it be put to one side meaning that all my endeavours will be just a semicolon in the passage of Trainz time?
With my layouts I now use TrufFX to cover most of the terrain. Should I do one version of "Clear Lake" with TurfFX and one without? The former hides most of the terrain detail; the latter reveals it in all its glory.

Surveyor 2.
In the past I have tried to use the Surveyor 2 feature that smooths the terrain under the track spline. When this is used, is it possible to reduce the smoothed terrain width under the track to less than one grid square? 2m width would be excellent where the track is benched into the cliff face.

Phil

In the past I have tried to use the Surveyor 2 feature that smooths the terrain under the track spline. When this is used, is it possible to reduce the smoothed terrain width under the track to less than one grid square? 2m width would be excellent where the track is benched into the cliff face.
Just adding my vote for this feature. Better yet, give us a value we can tweak to change the angle of embankments or cuttings created when using the "smooth terrain under spline" feature. 😉

I've struggled and wrestled mightily with Surveyor 2 for the past couple of hours. I converted the original directly to HD and did some terra forming in the last two pairs of images. With more experience I think I could do better. The real show stopper for a while was the water.

Actually, in some ways it might be easier to start afresh rather than modify existing layouts but to do justice to the HD terrain it might take months rather than weeks.

Anyway, the following pairs of images compare the original "Clear Lake Mining" layout with the HD layout. The images were taken in an extreme hurry, so the points of view and the lighting are not exactly the same. But it still gives an impression of the changes.

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

Tony --

Is it worth while continuing?

Phil

Last edited:
Nice work Phil. I'm wondering though whether there's enough difference to justify the massive increase in filesize? And the texture limit?

Paul

Hi Paul --

I've had a first run through with textures to portray an extremely barren, dry and arid environment. I thought that this would highlight the details of the HD terrain. It certainly does, though maybe I've over cooked it a bit too much? If so I'll consider doing an alternative which will be much softer.

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

6a.jpg

File size? I still have to add some vegetation (obviously very limited) and all the fiddly other details. Maybe TurfFX too. At the moment the saved cdp file is 4.8MB. By comparison the saved cdp file for the original T:ANE version is 3.08MB so the difference might be about 1MB per baseboard. For a large route this could be significant.

Textures? I generally use I very limited palette, maybe no more than half a dozen, so I'm well within the maximum limit.

Is it worth it? Hmm. Actually I think yes. Most definitely. It's been an interesting experience learning the very basics of Surveyor 2.0. There are many things I still prefer to do in Surveyor Classic. But the incredible ability to do terra-forming and textures at much higher resolution is incredible. It is more time consuming though so I'm glad that I experimented with a one base board layout.

Phil

Now all I need is for Tony to get back to me. If his response is along the lines of "Thanks Phil but it looks absolute rubbish. I'll wait for someone else to come up with a high detailed HD route that I can use to advertise the new features" then I'll share this version through Dropbox.

Is it worth it? Hmm. Actually I think yes. Most definitely.
From the screenshots you posted I also agree. And I also agree with you that HD terrain is probably better suited to a brand new route, and not retro-fitted to an existing one. My current projects are quite large and started out as TS12 and earlier - they would be too difficult and time consuming to meaningfully convert to HD (i.e. do the actual HD terrain work and not just use the "Upgrade" option).

The 16 texture limit per baseboard is not an issue for me as only one of the two routes actually exceeds that limit on just one baseboard.

Back