Possible Resolution for Raildriver Steam Engine Problem

jkfrench

Hi,

I just got a Raildriver ... been through (at least some of) the forums ... to find out Steam Engines (generally) don't work ... a little disappointed ... but NEVER GIVE UP!

Well ... I've been playing around a bit and might have found a solution (no Asset changes, no keyboard reprogramming ... just a possible fix). Keep reading if you are interested.

For this example I'm going to use the Norfolk & Western - Appalachian Coal: Westbound Merchandise Train session in TS12 ... but feel free to try another.

1. Plug in Raildriver.
2. Start Trainz
3. Start the session (let it load to the point where it is ready to start driving) ... I am going to assume that at this point when you pull back on the throttle, the Steam Engine just sits there ... fear not ... that's why we're here.
4. Shut down Trainz (important! You must exit all of the way out).
5. Startup Windows explorer and find your Trainz installation directory (mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V Games\Trainz Simulator 12).
6. In that directory find and open the trainzhid.log file in a text editor (notepad will work just fine).
7. Scroll down to the bottom of the file where you should see something simular to this:

Set Str Prp called for current-engine-kuid=<kuid:523:1972916>
Set Str Prp called for current-interior-kuid=<kuid:523:1972918>
Discovering engine type for <kuid:523:1972916>, recursion 0
New Property current-physics-model has value 2.000000
path of filename: \config.txt
opening file: \config.txt failed!
Set Engine Type failed

What's important in the above lines are the two lines in Red

The reason that the Set Engine Type failed for <kuid:523:1972916> is that the file located in the Trainz Installation\Controllers (for me it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V Games\Trainz Simulator 12\Controllers) called EngineKinds.txt DOESN'T have the engine listed, so it can't realize that it's a steam engine. So, let fix that!!!!

8. Go to the Trainz Installation\Controllers and open up that file (EngineKinds.txt) in another copy of notepad and let's add that engine to it. Again going to the bottom of this file, let's add another line... the line in Red is the one I added (there are a whole lot more lines than shown ... just an example of what was towards the end of the file and what was added by me. Please note: I not only added the <kuid:523:1972916> but I also added a space and the word STEAM and I hit the enter (or return) key. Note: The reason I said open ANOTHER copy of notepad is that it's really nice to be able to cut and paste the kuid (avoid mis-typing, etc) ... but you are welcome to type it in manually if you'd like.

<kuid:-1:42004212> MODERN
<kuid:61119:81000> MODERN
<kuid:-1:42004213> MODERN
<kuid:67873:51940> STEAM
<kuid:523:1972916> STEAM

9. Now save the updated EngineKinds.txt file.
10. So .. what are you waiting for! Fire it up ... let's see if it worked!

I have found it does ... in-fact ... I have done this for a number of steam engines and so far they have all worked (even from Add-on Packs, SnC, Murchison 2, etc, etc, etc). And when I pull back on the throttle to give it some power, the steam engine starts moving ... and the throttle can be controlled.

Notes:

a) I have been able to start multiple sessions with unworking Steam Engines and the trainhid.log file had information and failure statements about each of the kuids ... so typically, I think you can try more than one locomotive before shutting down trainz and adding the failed kuid(s) to the EngineKinds.txt file.
b) I would think you could do something similar with non-STEAM engines that don't work ... just add MODERN rather than STEAM after the kuid (and a space) ... although it might be that it just defaults to MODERN when it can't be found in the EngineKuids.txt file ... I've never really had any problems with non-STEAM engines yet.
c) REMEMBER ... you MUST restart Trainz before the changes in the EngineKinds.txt will take place: Alt-Tabbing out of Trainz to the desktop, then making the changes, followed by Re-focusing back to Trainz and trying it, without fully restarting Trainz, well ... just doesn't work!!!
d) Also, keep in mind that if a session doesn't start with the STEAM locomotive selected that you are interested in driving with Raildriver (which isn't working) ... you are going to have to (at least) start 'Driving the train' so that you can see the failed results in the trainzhid.log file, otherwise it probably won't even show up in the log file.
e) Oh ... and I wanted to show you what happened to the trainhid.log file after running the session a second time with the added Engine to the EngineKinds.txt file:

Set Str Prp called for current-vehicle-kuid=<kuid:523:1972911>
Set Str Prp called for current-engine-kuid=<kuid:523:1972916>
Engine type set to: STEAM, index is 2
Set Str Prp called for current-interior-kuid=<kuid:523:1972918>
New Property current-physics-model has value 2.000000

This time ... it found it (<kuid:523:1972916>) ... and set the Engine type to STEAM!

Please ... feel free to share your experiences ... and I hope it works for you too! Good Luck!

Last edited:
Confirmed, I tested the UP Big Boy which I hadn't driven in a long time, checked that it does not respond to the raildriver reverser or throttle. Didn't bother with the error log, I just went to content manager and copied the Big Boy engine spec KUID and pasted into a new entry in the EngineKinds.txt file. Fired up Trainz and tried the Big Boy again, now it's drivable with raildriver. Setting the reverser forward isn't necessary, once the engine spec is added to that EngineKinds.txt file it works like any other engine, if you have the reverser in the middle when starting it immediately responds to that and starts going toward zero.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.png

Worked on a pencil42 1870's Mogul

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::Y:

Thanks
Harold

Confirmed, I tested the UP Big Boy which I hadn't driven in a long time, checked that it does not respond to the raildriver reverser or throttle. Didn't bother with the error log, I just went to content manager and copied the Big Boy engine spec KUID and pasted into a new entry in the EngineKinds.txt file. Fired up Trainz and tried the Big Boy again, now it's drivable with raildriver. Setting the reverser forward isn't necessary, once the engine spec is added to that EngineKinds.txt file it works like any other engine, if you have the reverser in the middle when starting it immediately responds to that and starts going toward zero.

The first method outlined in the OP didn't work for me. The Kuid number I copied was the same , even after a tried a couple of locos, ( <kuid:2512:51047>) so I tried your method and and the Kuid number that was listed in the engine spec, and it worked the first time. Got the engine spec kuid from CM, copied it into the EngineKinds.text , saved it , and it works like a charm.. Thanks to both of you. Need to let Raildriver know about this thread.:):)

And I forgot to mention, the reverser works for steam cutoff as it should. Everything works now.... Be careful with the pantograph key, it drops coal in the engine by the ton.

Last edited:
I tried putting the Loco Kuid in the EngineKinds.txt a while back and of course that didn't work. Never thought they wanted the EngineSpec, D-oh!

Harold

By the way, water injectors are controlled by the Range slider on the RD. Looks like it is 3 position, full on , med, and off. If you just tap the Pantograph button you can put in small quantities of coal. Haven't found a blower control yet, if there is one. What a blast running steam engines with the Raildriver.

Thanks JK! I bought the raildriver the same time I got TS12. I'd been noticing info here and there that said I will run into problems with steam locos. The raildriver still has it's plastic wrapper on it, it would still be in the box, except the father in law just had to have a look at it. I might get it out and give your advice a go today. I have to get away from learning about TransDEM for a day or two, although I am making progress. It will be nice to try something different for a change. Good thing I'm retired, I'd never have time to learn about Trainz, if I was still working.

Thanks again, cheers.......Rick

Setting the reverser forward isn't necessary, once the engine spec is added to that EngineKinds.txt file it works like any other engine, if you have the reverser in the middle when starting it immediately responds to that and starts going toward zero.

Yeah ... I justed needed to recalibrate ... updating the orignal post.

Do I have to do that? I'm afraid I'm kind of a newbie to this forum (and to the whole Trainz world for that matter ... lovin' it though!).

I think this is up to the moderators to do. I'm a newbie too when it comes to stuff like this. :)

John

By the way, water injectors are controlled by the Range slider on the RD. Looks like it is 3 position, full on , med, and off. If you just tap the Pantograph button you can put in small quantities of coal. Haven't found a blower control yet, if there is one. What a blast running steam engines with the Raildriver.

This is GREAT to know!!! I had no idea I could control the Water Injectors with the Range Slider ... Thanks! Maybe reprogramming some of the RD buttons for the Blower Control? Just a thought.

Well, I tried it with a couple of locos, works great for me. The raildriver sure is a lot more fun and seems much more realistic. Now I just have to learn how to drive! Scared the pants off me, and probably some of the neighbours, until I found the "volume control"! Nice work jk, thanks for sharing.

Cheers.....Rick

Well, I tried it with a couple of locos, works great for me. The raildriver sure is a lot more fun and seems much more realistic. Now I just have to learn how to drive! Scared the pants off me, and probably some of the neighbours, until I found the "volume control"! Nice work jk, thanks for sharing.

lol ! I'm glad it's working for you!

This is GREAT to know!!! I had no idea I could control the Water Injectors with the Range Slider ... Thanks! Maybe reprogramming some of the RD buttons for the Blower Control? Just a thought.

Blower up and down is E-stop, right next to the Range slider.

Blower up and down is E-stop, right next to the Range slider.

Yeah, I just loaded up the Raildriver Cab Maker app and moved my mouse over different things (looking at the tooltips that popped up) ... and low and behold ... with Trainz and Steam selected ... the Range 'slider' shows Injector Up (and down if you click on it) and the E-Stop 'slider' shows Cabin Blower Up (and down when clicked) ... so yep, you're right on.

Last edited:
Well ... I just found what might be an easier way of determining the invalid engine kuid # ... rather than having to open up and investigate the trainzhid.log file with a text editor.

Here's what I've found ... if the engine ISN'T found in the EngineKinds.txt file... that engine will be opened for edit (and left open) in Content Manager. If an engine is found ... it's NOT (I don't know if it's opened and reverted back really, but it doesn't seem to be left open when it is in the EngineKinds.txt file).

So ... to simplify things a bit ...

1) Try driving a locomotive (STEAM or MODERN) ...
2) If it's not found in the EngineKinds.txt file (i.e. you can't drive it with Raildriver) ... open up Content Manager, click the Open for Edit tab and see if an engine has been opened for editing *and you didn't do it, of course) ...
3) If so, just grab the kuid # from the Asset Details window (copy / paste if you want), add it to the EngineKinds.txt file (with the approriate RD engine type [STEAM or MODERN]) and you're done ...
4) well ... you might want to Revert the engine back in Content Manager (or Commit, I guess, but that doesn't seem necessary).

The next time, it SHOULDN'T be Opened for Edit in Content Manager because it's now in EngineKinds.txt file.

A bunch easier than going through the process of manually opening the trainzhid.log file, searching for the kuids, etc.

REMEMBER: You have to totally exit and restart the Trainz Simulator or the changes to the EngineKinds.txt file won't loaded (that is ... until you restart).

Now if someone would just write up a script to do it automatically for us ... we'd be good-to-go :hehe: Although I kind of wondering if that was the goal ... because if you remember, the trainzhid.log file had a couple other lines that indicated it couldn't open the config.txt file (and if it could've read the config.txt file it should have been able to find the kuid AND the engine type ... hmmmm ... maybe there's already a script that needs fixing? or something within the Raiddriver support apps that needs fixing? hmmmm.

REMEMBER THESE? (wrong path maybe?) ... hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! Where is this happening?????????????????????????????????????

path of filename: \config.txt
opening file: \config.txt failed!

Please share you experiences.

Last edited:
Back