Possible Resolution for Raildriver Steam Engine Problem

Just use "View Config" in CM and copy the enginespec Kuid into the EngineKinds.txt.

More than likely the loco isn't in the EngineKinds.txt.

Harold

Just use "View Config" in CM and copy the enginespec Kuid into the EngineKinds.txt.

Yep, you can do that ... or another option ... is to select all of the engines listed in the Open for Edit Tab ... Copy to Clipboard ... paste into the EngineKinds.txt file ... remove everything before the kuid (Engine Name, a comma, etc.), add the RD Engine Type [STEAM or MODERN] ... save it.

There are a number of options ... We need to get the author of PEV Tools to write a utility to do it automatically for us!

Actually, I've sent a tech support request to P.I. Engineering ... It feels like there's a bug in something of their's that should be doing all of this for us (and it does look like it's trying [with the messages in the trainzhid.log file] ... maybe we're just missing a registry setting or something that points to where CM puts the config.txt ... I figure they should know)... don't know if it will help any ... but I figure it's worth a try. I feel like we've already done the evaluation of the problem AND figured out a manual resolution (work-around) ... and even tested it with other options ... maybe they can automate it for us (or fix a bug that's causing the automation to fail). I'm going to try to stay on this (maybe even call them in a couple days if I don't hear anything).

Heck, if they gave me the source code I could probably fix it!

Last edited:
Yep, you can do that ... or another option ... is to select all of the engines listed in the Open for Edit Tab ... Copy to Clipboard ... paste into the EngineKinds.txt file ... remove everything before the kuid (Engine Name, a comma, etc.), add the RD Engine Type [STEAM or MODERN] ... save it.

There are a number of options ... We need to get the author of PEV Tools to write a utility to do it automatically for us!

Actually, I've sent a tech support request to P.I. Engineering ... It feels like there's a bug in something of their's that should be doing all of this for us (and it does look like it's trying [with the messages in the trainzhid.log file] ... maybe we're just missing a registry setting or something that points to where CM puts the config.txt ... I figure they should know)... don't know if it will help any ... but I figure it's worth a try. I feel like we've already done the evaluation of the problem AND figured out a manual resolution (work-around) ... and even tested it with other options ... maybe they can automate it for us (or fix a bug that's causing the automation to fail). I'm going to try to stay on this (maybe even call them in a couple days if I don't hear anything).

Heck, if they gave me the source code I could probably fix it!

I called them 2 days ago and emailed their tech support person a link to this thread. Hopefully that will help too.

That would be PEV that you want to contact, as he is the one responsible for the PEVSoft tools.

Let's see if we can get an 'official' resolution; if not, then I will give PEV a try. But he's definitely on the list people to eventually contact if P.I. doesn't help out in the very near future.

Probably best. Depending on what is needed, I may also be able to help as I'm also a utility creator (but probably not as well known for utilities as PEV is).

Shane

I called them 2 days ago and emailed their tech support person a link to this thread. Hopefully that will help too.

GREAT! I sent them information on where to find this thread when I filled out the Tech Support request ... so hopefully one (or both) of us will get a response ... I'll update here if I get any type of response.

Probably best. Depending on what is needed, I may also be able to help as I'm also a utility creator (but probably not as well known for utilities as PEV is).

Yeah, I've been doing software development myself for almost 30 years (mainly C, C++ & now C#) ... so given time, I could probably do it myself too ... but I'd rather use my free time playing Trainz ... not fixing it! :n:

Been trying forever to figure out why when I have Enable In Game Video checked ... and a video does play that when I close the window it crashes trainz to the desktop (TS2009, TS2010 and TS12) ...with NO ability to forward crash info to auran ... so it's a hard crash to debug ... I don't know if I have a conflicting codec, whether it's a 64-bit issue, or what ... guess I should start a new thread ... rather than get into it here ... really in-general, trainz works well ... just a couple little things I'd like to see working better.

Just a quick warning!!!
If you add items to the end of the "EngineKinds.txt" file, be careful not to add any empty space/lines. I did, and this resulted in the well-known "We are very sorry .......etc .... and send a message to Microsoft" error.
I ran a Extended Database Repair, no change, then I removed all the space at the end of the file and Hey-Presto everything is working again!
This was in Trainz 2010, but may apply to other versions aswell.

Andyz

Just found a steam engine where the Reverser responds fine, but the throttle doesn't do anything (and if I use the mouse or press 'W' on the keyboard, it works, but it doesn't respond at all to the raildriver throttle control) ... everything else seems fine, just the throttle.

TS12 Specifically: Northbay County (Route) ... moved over from built-in of TS2009, the default selected engine at startup for both the Gossen Ore Run & the Gossen Princess Ore Run (Sessions): Engine Name: NGG21 ... Kuid: <kuid2:65931:51411:2> ... I've tried it with STEAM and just for grins MODERN (but the Reverser stopped working too with MODERN setting) ... and it seems to still be the same one that was moved with the built-ins (i.e. no reverting or deleting available). In-fact this is one that is in the original EngineKinds.txt file (i.e. I didn't add it .. I did change it to MODERN temporarily, but I didn't add it originally).

Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Just letting you know ... I have heard from P.I. Engineering ... and I have responded with additional information (including indicating my hopes are to get this fixed so we don't have to do manual updates to the EngineKinds.txt file ... it really should be automatic)... I'll let you know if/when I hear anything more.

By-the-way ... I just noticed that (in TS12 anyhow) the Display Clock button on the Raildriver actually toggles the display of Junction Overlays. Anybody know what the Reset Controls button does? ... I don't really see anything different when I press it.

I had an engine today, The Union Pacific Big Boy, that when loading the engine spec Kuid into the Enginekinds.txt file, the controller would not work. I had gotten the engine spec from the CMP config file as always. I then decided to look at the "Discovering engine type kuid as stated in the OP, and found that the kuid number listed there was different. I took that number and put it in the enginekinds.txt file and everything worked. So if you run into a problem with one engine, check the Discovering engine type for <kuid:xxx:xxxxxxxxx>, recursion 0 and make sure the number matches the number you are inserting in he enginekinds.txt file.

Just a quick warning!!!
If you add items to the end of the "EngineKinds.txt" file, be careful not to add any empty space/lines. I did, and this resulted in the well-known "We are very sorry .......etc .... and send a message to Microsoft" error.
I ran a Extended Database Repair, no change, then I removed all the space at the end of the file and Hey-Presto everything is working again!
This was in Trainz 2010, but may apply to other versions aswell.

Andyz

^SHOULD BE ALL CAPITALS!^ Gah! In 2009 you can get away with one (1) additional blank line (CR+LF) after the last entry, but no more.

<:B~)

Just tried the NGG21, confirmed it responds to all controls except the throttle. I found that for the raildriver LED to display any speed other than zero, the loco has to have a cabview with a working speedometer - so apparently it reads the speedometer data from the cabview rather than the HUD. Possibly this is similar, the loco has no working controls in the cabview.

Confirmed, I cloned that NGG21 and changed the interior to one with working controls, throttle responds to raildriver. So apparently there's something about the cabview that raildriver is reading and/or sending output to.

Finaly! I can now use me rail drive again! No longer shall it collect dust! Thanks for posting this!

Back