Port Huron and Detroit Railroad (some larger pixel sizes here 1100+)

dericm

Michigan Trainz Routes
After three motherboards going on two computers (two ASUS and one Asrock) I was set back on creating routes, beta testing, and doing my photograph work on the side. I have now purchased a MSI GT 780 and it's powerhouse and it does photo and video editing like it was nothing and makes TS 12 run like a scared cat! For those looking for a shortline to run, the PH&D is in the final phases of scenery being added, some track and industry work, and work in and around Port Huron and Tunnel Yard. This route was huge at one time. I was part of my Mt. Clemens Sub route I was working on, but the route was so large it was problematic to do work on because it crashed often. I have then broken up the large route and save it by deleting different baseboards for the multiple railroads' subdivisions that were all on it.

Anyway, off to the screen shots from around Tunnel Yard, Port Huron and Detroit Railroads yards and mainline. CN, CSX, C&O (Pere Marquette), GTW, and DBC&W all saw action at one time or another in Port Huron. CSX now operates the PH&D line.
71344798.jpg

A Chessie train heads east to the Pere Marquette Boat Yard in Port Huron. The PH&D offices and wye are in the distance.
71344801.jpg

West of Tunnel Yard is where the C&O and GTW cross. Here C&O waits as a GTW freight from Flint rolls into the yard.
71332998.jpg

PH&D GP-9 (VMD version) pulls a string of boxcars from St. Clair north just south of the new St. Clair Yard (built by CSX in 2005). The PH&D never had GP-9s... they were an all Alco S-2 or S-4 road... I just don't like the look of the only S-2 on the DLS.
71329372.jpg

St. Clair Yard sees this Geep heading out. This is just south of Davis Rd. Built in 2005 by CSX this yard is new on the line and was not there when the PH&D had ownership. I have added it for operational interest.
50845080.jpg

As things progress, I'll post more. It should be done in a month or so.

Dan

I use both content on the DLS and third party sites like VMD, USLW, and those freeware listings on the forum. Some of the re-skins are done from photos I have taken. The real route is flat so there are not a bunch of grades present (I have included subtle grades here and there where they exist), but it is very slow in creating any route. This is about 18 scale miles from north to south. I have track maps and an industry list from both the 80s and early 1940s. It is amazing what industries were gone by then. The route's main customer base now is LPG, petrochemicals, salt, plastics, some lumber, corn / ethanol, coal (two power plants), and auto parts.

Thanks for the smashing comment! This is the latest edit / reskin of the PH&D offices which we (the historical society) have been restoring.
50068630.jpg

71540748.jpg

Though the building in TS12 is not the exact size and configuration, it is close enough I think to make it work. The real trees were removed this past year. The sim represents what was there at one time. The route has about 1/3 of the scenery done and about 90% of the track and industry in. Two power plants, two LPG plants, ethanol plant, and autoparts plants are left.

DM

Updates... this route keeps slowly getting stuff added to it. The C.W. Wills & Company (now Marysville Axle of Chrysler) building and trackwork is in. The siding in Marysville is in as well as other tracks to several other indusry there. Trees and some spline scenerey is in. Not all streets or buildings are in yet. Some grade crossings and roads are not operational as well.

73324685.jpg

The overall view of the Marysville area. This view is looking NE with Canada in the distance across the St. Clair River to the right. Note the diamond in this industrial area. The PH&D freight house is just of Michigan Ave center left.
73324698.jpg

Two locos that the PH&D never had, but I have skinned some for this route. The real PH&D had steam 0-6-0s and in1941 converted all to diesel Also switchers up until the end when Chessie bought them in 1985.
73324694.jpg

Having Chessie trains or CSX is fine for operations after 1985 when Chessie bought the line. Here a pair of GP-15s, which are common power on the line today, work across the diamond on a switching run. Marysville Axle is in the back ground.

73324690.jpg

With things going so well on this route creation, I see no reason why it will not be ready by the first week of July.

Dan

I'm enjoying what I've seen of this route. What version will it work for? I'd be willing to test it, if needed, for TSMAC/TS2010. Plus, I live about an hour away from this area and am a big fan of the Chessie System/CSX and GTW/CN.

TS12 is what I am building it in. I have TS10, but have not tested it on that build yet.
This week I have completed most of the Belle River Powerplant. I met with and talked with some railroaders on the line and had to make some corrections and additions. One can only get so much information from aerial images from the 1940s and on. It is best to ask the real workers from the line.
73882514.jpg

The Puttygut Rd. spur north of the Belle River Powerplant.
73882426.jpg

A vintage late 1970's image of Chessie heading west out of Port Huron for Saginaw. The I-94 overpass is above and the GTW Flint Sub is in the foreground.
73883382.jpg

The Belle River Powerplant is a 2,200 acre facility modeled to scale in the sim. This is still served by rail today by CSX and is the end of the line today, but in the sim it continues south from there to Marine City, MI.

Dan

Back