please help

tommy2tap

i have just moved up to 2009 from utc and i have a few small questions. first, i have noticed on 09 when a train runs behind a tree it dissapears. this also happens with other scenery items like open fences and power lines. is there a fix coming for this issue and does the trees pack have the same problem. second, i would like to RE COLOR some of my downloaded locos and rolling stock to represent my fictional line. i have checked out the tutorials on reskinning but haven't actually tried and of the things in those because i'm not really comfortable moving stuff around in the program files of the game. don't want to mess it all up. all i'm looking to do is re color some stuff with my colors and logos. is there anyone who would be willing to help me with this project? thanks in advance everyone

Last edited:
Tom,

First off, please edit the post and remove your email. You don't want your email Pharmed by spam bots that search the web forums!

To fix the disappearing train problem, try running the program in compatibility mode. This may fix the problem you are experiencing. There's a more technical way of doing this, but I'm not sure if it's applicable in your situation.

Editing content is done through the Content Manager. CM has replaced the old way of looking for kuid-folders. In some respects the old way of accessing the content is better, but that's for another topic. In CM search for the item you want to edit. Then clone it (good idea so you don't lose the original), and then open for edit using explorer. These commands are easily accessed by right-mouse button clicking on the asset. From here you'll see the normal config files and the textures. Make your changes in the clone copy, and then close the folder. You then need to commit the asset to the database. This is done by highlighting the asset and pressing CTRL+M at the same time. If there are no errors, your new asset will be available for you to use.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

John

i went back through the two tutorials i have links to. both are for 2006 and require extra software(i have downloaded the extras) but i still cant seem to get them to work. apparently i don't know enough to figure this out on my own. can someone please walk me through this. thanks

i went back through the two tutorials i have links to. both are for 2006 and require extra software(i have downloaded the extras) but i still cant seem to get them to work. apparently i don't know enough to figure this out on my own. can someone please walk me through this. thanks

Tom,

For reskinning assets, you need a program such as GIMP, PaintShop Pro, Photoshop, or some other picture editor. They range in cost from Free to Many Hundreds of dollars.

As far as helping you reskin, I'll have to pass the honor on to someone else. I've never had good luck with it myself, and definitely lack the patience and time right now to improve my skills.

John

i have downloaded GIMP, and IRFANVIEW, and got a free trail of paint shop pro this morning. I plan on playing around with them a little this evening. I keep you posted and, if anybody else reads this, i would still greatly appreciate any help on this subject. thanks guys

i played with the recoloring of an alco rs3(first step towards my lines paint scheme). did it with infranveiw, got the color to change on the files i was working with but then when i got it commited and went back into the game my color was not there. does anyone know what i missed?

ok. again, I've gone back through the tutorial listed above. and since i'm just trying to change a color for right now ( something basic to get me started ) i used an undecorated alco rs 3. and again the color changes when i'm working on it but when back in the game i get nothing. Just the same basic grey loco. Guess i'll walk away for a few hours and try again

ok. again, I've gone back through the tutorial listed above. and since i'm just trying to change a color for right now ( something basic to get me started ) i used an undecorated alco rs 3. and again the color changes when i'm working on it but when back in the game i get nothing. Just the same basic grey loco. Guess i'll walk away for a few hours and try again

Check you are saving the modified image to the correct folder you may find they are saving in your pictures folder.

Back