Saving my Pile of Content

bnsfc

Steam Nut
Its time for new hard drives here and I'm looking to save all the stuff I've hoarded collected. Mostly looking to get basically everything out of T:ANE, as that is where most of the stuff I can no longer get is, and onto an external drive. I'm just not sure the best way to do it and looking for advice. I do have the steam version of TANE, witch I'm sure makes it more fun

Best bet is probably just to move a copy of the T:ANE data folder to where you want it as a repository and then change the T:ANE install to there. Even if you only use it as a repository, you will want the install to be able to use CM to export assets when you want them. Of course, if you are going to keep playing T:ANE then maybe it is good where it is? I think trying to figure out what all you need to export without missing any dependencies is going to be a lot of work and cross-checking. I am running into the same question, as I would like to use the space T:ANE takes up for the new 22PE, but don't want to lose anything in the process.

I don't plan on continuing to use TANE, just don't know what version to get next when i feel the itch. i just want to make sure all the stuff Ive got is usable.

Whatever you do, dont mass export them to a cdp.

I made that mistake, and discovered when I tried to import that big cdp that it was too big for the game to open. :mad:

In the end I had TRS19 and TANE and TS12 all installed, then I'd export to cdp a few at a time and imediately import to 19. Once I felt I had everything I wanted moved, I uninstalled TANE and TS12.

Of course, that takes quite a bit of HDD space.

I'm somewhat interested in this question too. What should the maximum filesize of a CDP file be to ensure it's still useful for asset storage and a source for content imports?

I simply put all the Trainz local data folders onto a external storage drive. When it comes time that I needs something on the storage drive, I just change the default local data folder in the settings to the folder on the storage drive. Works like a charm for me. I had to find another way to deal with all the Trainz content. With so much content, loading times were getting rather long.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat interested in this question too. What should the maximum filesize of a CDP file be to ensure it's still useful for asset storage and a source for content imports?
Never explored it, but I know for sure that trainz will write a CDP too large for it to read

Whatever you do, dont mass export them to a cdp.

I made that mistake, and discovered when I tried to import that big cdp that it was too big for the game to open. :mad:

In the end I had TRS19 and TANE and TS12 all installed, then I'd export to cdp a few at a time and imediately import to 19. Once I felt I had everything I wanted moved, I uninstalled TANE and TS12.

Of course, that takes quite a bit of HDD space.
I cant do that because this is part of a computer rebuild. I need everything external of the game somehow :(

I cant do that because this is part of a computer rebuild. I need everything external of the game somehow :(
Unless your going to fill up all the sata ports, you could always hang your old drive on the computer temporarily.

Also, there are kits made that will let you hook a sata drive up to usb.

I try to keep exported CDPs under 2GB, because I know that CDPExplorer will open them so I can search and export selected items. I haven't tested the limits of that or Trainz. I thought I recently read 4GB, but I would want to test that before committing.

I try to keep exported CDPs under 2GB, because I know that CDPExplorer will open them so I can search and export selected items. I haven't tested the limits of that or Trainz. I thought I recently read 4GB, but I would want to test that before committing.

I recently got an error message while saving a CDP around 1 GB that said the file was too large to save! It could've been data corruption or this could be a new thing I'm not sure. Going forward, I'll stick to my paranoia and keep the files smaller if necessary. I don't want to write files to bit heaven.

Here is a neat trick that new folks can do. Since I started this username, My content has been made in order by kuid numbers....1,2,3,4 and so on. I'm close to 400 now. As a quick back up, I packed all 000's, 100's, 200's and 300's into their separate .cdp files. This seems to work fine for me.

So, no definitive answer for the maximum, safe size of a CDP file then. Could it be that the file size is not the determining factor, but the number of assets in the CDP? Or is it something else such as the memory available on the computer that is trying to open the CDP? Would it vary according what version of Trainz is being used to make or to import the CDP? So many unknowns. I don’t know enough about this to even make a sensible guess.

Last edited:
Back