Penrhyn station (Ffestiniog Line)

Hopefully, the route will be released as freeware. I've certainly given a large amount of my own time (when I could have been doing more profitable things!!) making the stock available. It would be nice to think that the route would follow the same ethos.

Kevin,

The route will be released as freeware if it ever comes to be. I have no intention of ever releasing payware, as I do not want people to go through the hassle that I have when I buy payware.

We do appreciate your work Kevin. Without it there would be no thought of this layout!

Right now Daniel and I are working on TRS04/TRS06 compatibility issues. I may have to try to reinstall that infernal contraption called 06!

~Zapper~

Hey,
I second and repeat what Zapper said. There is no current (good) DEMs for the Ffestiniog line, so we also have that issue of "how to make the route" and not also mentioning our capabillity issues.

I've been working some more on the station, and heres and update. (Not sure how to go about it from here because lack of resources).

Cheers, Daniel

Looks good Daniel.

Out of curiosity, what is the current polygon count? To find out, go to the very last tab on the menu (the hammer). There should be a polygon counter in the list. Give us the over all polygon count.

@ZappeeJet, at the moment its 6724 polys.

@redline41190, in Gmax, press "W", thats how i change from being 4 squares to just one.
Cheers, Daniel

Oooh, although it looks quite good, 6720 is rather high for a poly count for a building...very high in fact....

Go around all the cylinders, reduce the amount of sides to about 8 or 9 on all of them. Go around all the boxes and make sure that segments is reduced to 1 on all but the ones you have used for the main building nd the roof.

Cheers

Chris

Continuing on what Chris said, we can probably take those designs on the sides of the roof and use an alpha map instead of taking up polygons for them.

To give you a poly count guide, the MSTS version of Penrhyn station (including platform and out buildings) was 311.

Kevin

I think it had been done as one object, so it is probably made from planes, with any hidden faces deleted, each plane 1 segment high and wide, then phototextured.

It is highly possible to get such a low poly count on a building.

Am I right Kev?

Cheers

Chris

Here are some tips that I have been told and learnt myself over time.

Anything you can't see, or are highly unlikely to see, should be removed. This is everything from the end of cylinders, bottom of boxes, and sides you will never see (hidden by another shape, or would only be viewed from an angle impossible to get in-game; eg: under the roof). Remember, if you have a 6 sided cylinder, there are going to be 6 polys on the top and bottom (assuming it is set to 1 cap segment), that you more than likely don't need (bottom almost definitely).

Don't do an interior; use textures to give the impression of. Leave details such as the bits around the edge of the roof, to textures with alpha channels.

Make cylinders/spheres/cones as low as possible without losing the effect. This depends on the size; the spires on the end and chimney pots could probably go as low as 5 or 6 sides. 8 would be the absolute max. The stanchions would be higher than the spies/chimneys, but still don't need to go high.

Window frames, door frames and other details should be done with textures.

Ensure that all boxes, planes and other shapes only have as many segments as required. For example, the planes forming the roof would only need 1 segment for length and width. The only time you need segments is when you are going to manipulate the shape somehow; eg: using a plane to make an arch.

Take a look at other peoples models. In some cases, a house is nothing more than a 4 sided box (top and bottom removed) with two planes on top for the roof. The rest is done using textures.

Last edited:
Well good news fourjays5000, the poly count is at 1364. And i'm still not finished reducing polys. So i'll have and update when i've nearly finished the poly reduction.
Cheers, Daniel:D

Cheers, I now have to add more to Penrhyn that i didn't know existed, so the polys will go up again. Anyway, does anyone have any decent pics that show Penrhyn in its whole. For the mean time, i will show some screenies of the Ffestiniog line i'm working on.

Cheers, I now have to add more to Penrhyn that i didn't know existed, so the polys will go up again. Anyway, does anyone have any decent pics that show Penrhyn in its whole. Now also i need a gradient map. My gravity trains don't work so i think theres something wrong with the gradients.

For the mean time, i will show some screenies of the Ffestiniog line i'm working on.

This shot is looking in the direction of Portmadog at Penrhyn level crossing site. (extremely not finished)

The last shot is still looking the same way but closer to the station site.

I'll post some more once the route starts to take shape.
Cheers, Daniel:)

Anyway, just an update. I think i might redo this project again, proparly though. If anyone has any shots or knows where they are of the whole building, it would be appreciated if you could send them to me.

cheers, Daniel

Back