Overclocking with a locked BIOS

saintjimmy

You! Off my planet.
Hello everyone,
I was wondering, my computer's BIOS is locked when it comes to overclocking (see my specs here), and I was thinking about entering the realm of overclocking.
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, so it's not like I really need overclocking in the first place, but I would like to see how far I could push it using the default cooler (I know, bad choice, but I will upgrade if I want to push the processor far enough). I recently found the AMD OverDrive program, which seems to be the ticket to overclocking, but I just wanted to get some opinions first on the program, and overclocking in general.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

Hello everyone,
I was wondering, my computer's BIOS is locked when it comes to overclocking (see my specs here), and I was thinking about entering the realm of overclocking.
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, so it's not like I really need overclocking in the first place, but I would like to see how far I could push it using the default cooler (I know, bad choice, but I will upgrade if I want to push the processor far enough). I recently found the AMD OverDrive program, which seems to be the ticket to overclocking, but I just wanted to get some opinions first on the program, and overclocking in general.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

Hi Kyle,

While not a huge fan of overclocking myself, I have in the past had reason to. I'm not really into the bios-based OCing, though, so I used ClockGen. The program seems to have been discontinued, but there are still mirror sites around. Try to get v1.0.5.3 if you can.

I definitely suggest finding some good tutorials on how to use it, or checking some of the Overclocking forums for details.

Cheers,
Craig.

Try Guru 3D forums?

Hello Saintjimmy,

A good idea would be to go onto the Guru3D forums. They are real big on overclocking over there. That is where I finally learned how to overclock my computer in the BIOS.

But be prepared to download a program called CPU-Z (I think it is), which is the most popular way to tell how fast your CPU and memory is running. You overclock your CPU and that overclocks your memory also (sometimes too much), then you have to use dividers in the BIOS to slow the memory down seperately).

There is also a popular program for showing the speed of your video card called GPU-Z.

It takes a little study, but somebody there might possibly take you through it! Good Luck! Bob.

Now I can see that you said your bios is locked. Maybe not. I thought mine was locked, but sometimes you can still overclock....

Last edited:
Back