Now i HAVE to buy a FCT to download from the DLS ??

Redlum

Up to last Friday i had no problems whatsoever downloading from the DLS. Last Friday all of a sudden i cannot download any more, message is : "server is full".
I went to the helpdesk and i found the following message :

Quote :If you do not have a First Class Subscription, Content Manager will use a shared server which is limited as to how many people can download from it. To remove this limit, you will need to purchase a First Class Ticket subscription from our shop. http://blablabla Unquote.

Here's my response to that : I have full understanding for the fact that if someone does not have a FCT, downloadspeed and downloadamount are limited. Someone who does not want to buy a FCT has to live with that, and that's ok to me. BUT: I.m.o. Auran has to make sure that people who don't have a FCT still CAN download from the DLS ! Making a statement that someone has to buy a FCT to be able to download is bull. Until last Friday i could download every day. It seems to me that Auran decreased their servercapacity in a very questionable way.

This is just normal management of a limited resource. There are always a limited number of possible connections to any server. I assume that they are divided between FCT ports and non FCT ports. By not buying a FCT, you have to take your chances that a non FCT port will be available when you attempt to connect. If this is the first time you have been made to wait for a port to be available, why is that so bad?

This is just normal management of a limited resource. There are always a limited number of possible connections to any server. I assume that they are divided between FCT ports and non FCT ports. By not buying a FCT, you have to take your chances that a non FCT port will be available when you attempt to connect. If this is the first time you have been made to wait for a port to be available, why is that so bad?

Bollocks. Other simulation sites, like avsim.com, flightsim.com, trainsim.com, just to name a few, have been free for years and continue to be free - and they don't even make money selling a product. They're run by volunteers who are enthousatic about their hobby with an unprecedented and appreciated level of support. I have a FCT and yet I am unable to access any content from the Auran servers.

B******s. Other simulation sites, like avsim.com, flightsim.com, trainsim.com, just to name a few, have been free for years and continue to be free - and they don't even make money selling a product. They're run by volunteers who are enthousatic about their hobby with an unprecedented and appreciated level of support. I have a FCT and yet I am unable to access any content from the Auran servers.
Please mind your language as there are young Children on this forum.
But first off have you activated your ticket it should show up as Activated in the planet Auran web site.

Hi Martin,

No, it is not the first time. Sometimes it occured and i do not have any problem with that, because 1 or 2 hours later it's ok again. As i say in my first post, i have no problem with that whatsoever.
I have a problem with the fact that for over 2 days i haven't been able to download something from the DLS. That's way too long. I'm not a whiner, but i think this is just not done.

And then there's this : If you go to the helpdesk, you get the message as in my first post. BUT : If you look around on the forums over here, you can find quite a few examples of people who DO have a FCT and are not able to download at the moment too.......

Last edited:
... Other simulation sites, like avsim.com, flightsim.com, trainsim.com, just to name a few, have been free for years and continue to be free - and they don't even make money selling a product. ...
and everyone who ever bought one of them can download at the same time all the time :wave: :hehe: right. The DLS is also free for those who don't want to pay money. They just have to pay with time.

Just downloaded a 40ft container from the DLS via FTP without any issues. But even if I had not been able to connect, a short wait is usually all that is needed. The number of ports are not infinite and even a FCT can not guarantee a connection 100% of the time. :eek:

Take a deep breath, hold, exhale slowly. Repeat 10 times. :)

Other simulation sites, like avsim.com, flightsim.com, trainsim.com, just to name a few, have been free for years and continue to be free
Interestingly I had a look at flightsim.com and trainsim.com and found out about 'First Class Membership'.

Key Features:

First Class Membership gives you access to enhanced features of the site:
o Fewer pop-up ads! (What is a pop-up ad?)
o File library index feature (What is this?)
o No daily time limit
o Faster downloads (Additional information)

Your membership helps pay for the programming costs for new features as well as server bandwidth

With a First Class Membership you'll never see an "All Nodes Busy" warning again

Discounts from advertisers: upon completing your First Class Membership signup a variety of discounts and special offers on flightsim products may be made available; availability varies depending on offers provided by our advertisers
Cost is $30 (U.S.) for one full year:
o This is a one time charge; you will not be automatically charged again at any time
o Near the end of your membership period you'll automatically receive a warning linked to an opportunity to renew
o Multi-year options are also available

Special: Sign up for a First Class Membership on FlightSim.Com and also get a TrainSim.Com membership for half price!

Are you renewing your First Class Membership? You can do so at any time; sign up before you current membership expires and it will simply be extended for a full additional year

Last edited:
Other simulation sites, like avsim.com, flightsim.com, trainsim.com, just to name a few, have been free for years

Hmm, lets check that...

flightsim.com:

from https://www.flightsim.com/mbrinfo.htm

"First Class Membership gives you access to enhanced features of the site:
"With a First Class Membership you'll never see an "All Nodes Busy" warning again "

Hey look, just like the FCT - almost exactly like the FCT in fact, faster, no daily limit and less chance of being 'too busy try later'.

avsim.com:

Well, they appear to subsidize their download from their online store, but it's free, I'll grant you that, limited to 4 downloads at a time, but free...

trainsim.com

exactly the same as flightsim.com (not surprising, since it's the same people)

Hi Martin,

And then there's this : If you go to the helpdesk, you get the message as in my first post. BUT : If you look around on the forums over here, you can find quite a few examples of people who DO have a FCT and are not able to download at the moment too.......

I live on the other side of the world from Auran and I’ve just downloaded two routes and loads of other content plus all the content that is attached to those routes in less time than it took to write this.

There is nothing wrong wilth the FCTs... the servers are another matter but are not Auran's fault, there could be up to 90 conections between here and Auran, it takes only one to fail.

There is nothing wrong wilth the FCTs... the servers are another matter but are not Auran's fault, there could be up to 90 conections between here and Auran, it takes only one to fail.

And given that there was a systemic failure in the UK's internet backbones on friday that they're reporting will take 5-7 days to fix, which causes connections to break, and servers to be unreachable intermittently, we should all brace ourselves for a plethora of 'Auran are evil. waah!' posts this week.

This IS an Auran issue, because I can FTP to the Auran server (both files.auran.com and firstclass.auran.com), but unable to actually get to the files. The problem lies in the permissions and provisioning of the accounts and has nothing to do with connectivity or network issues.

$ ftp firstclass.auran.com
Connected to firstclass.auran.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.1 Server (Auran's FirstClass FTP Server) [174.121.103.178]
Name (firstclass.auran.com): Patrickc26
331 Password required for Patrickc26
Password:
230 User Patrickc26 logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

I sometimes get a 'server full' message when trying to download and so I wait and get my downloads a bit later on. Weekends are sometimes a problem especially if the servers are down because there is generally no-one around on the weekend to reboot them but I have never failed to get something that I want, even if I do have to be patient !

The cost of a FCT works out at less than 7c a day... - I wish some of those tight a..'es would EITHER stop bitching about the "free" service or dig into their pockets and shell out a small amount of coin (for a FCT) to help N3V cover their costs (& to help them stay afloat)...
That's part of the problem with this sim/forum. To many people have been riding on the gravy train for too long, always expecting "free" lunches... In some cases, 6 or 7 years of "free" lunches without shelling out anything in return...

Take, take, take, take, take... Don't some of you people ever give???
:hehe:

Happy Trainzing.
Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
The cost of a FCT works out at less than 7c a day... - I wish those tight a..'es would EITHER stop bitching about the "free" service or dig into their pockets and shell out a small amount of coin to help N3V cover their costs (& to help them stay afloat)...
That's part of the problem with this sim/forum. To many people have been riding on the gravy train for too long, always expecting "free" lunches...

Take, take, take, take, take... Don't some of you people ever give???
:eek:

Happy Trainzing.
Cheers, Mac...

It is beside the issue, if paying for downloads are justified or not. The issue is that even FCT subscribers have not been able to get to anything this weekend.

Hi Nikkia And Everybody.
we should all brace ourselves for a plethora of 'Auran are evil. waah!' posts this week.

As usual I think you are very right with what you stay there Nikkia. The "oh my God I've got rights" brigade will no doubt be out in force again this week.

I expect they all belong to the same " it's all a conspiracy against me" crowd that were complaining that nothing was being done about the snow on the roads last week here in Britain.

These people were saying that someone else should sort out there problem for them without ever thinking that they could possibly sort out the problems themselves. Simple things like getting up half-hour earlier when there is frost or snow on the ground to allow time to scrape off the car and a bit extra for for the journey into work would never occur to them. It's all somebody else's fault that the snow was on the road in the first place.

It's the same with Auran, these people think that it is all a conspiracy against them because everything should be free and without any problems whatsoever. speaking personally I've just about got sick to death of these wimps
:'(

Bill

It is beside the issue, if paying for downloads are justified or not. The issue is that even FCT subscribers have not been able to get to anything this weekend.

I've download content on three separate occasions over the weekend without any problems, at very good download speeds. So no problems in this neck of the woods... (I put it down to either "global warming" or "global freezing" your side of the world)...
Well, we have to blame someone/something, don't we??? :hehe:
Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Back