New computer thoughts

johnwhelan

Mine is about four years old so it's probably time to start thinking about a new one.

So let's start with the requirements it should last roughly four years. In the last four years we've moved from DirectX 8 to Directx 9 so my assumption is I should be purchasing DirectX 10.1 hardware etc.

I want it to run cool and not over heat the house so technically the newer Intel 45 nm cpu sounds reasonable, as do the new ATI 55 nm video cards. nVidea are running 65 nm at the moment. The 8800GTX has been around for nearly two years now so the choice is probably 8800GT but it appears very few are actually available, or the new ATI video cards with Directx 10.1

Operating system well technically on a 64 bit operating system I can let a 32 bit game program run in 4 gigs of memory provided it's permissions are set correctly when compiled. Plus a gig for the operating system say 5-6 gigs of memory. So 64 bit Vista.

I'm paranoid about memory errors so I'll probably go with ecc memory so that means something with the Intel X38 chipset which also can do the RAID thing so three drives in RAID 5.

I suspect that I'll be purchasing early next year when the 45 nm cpus are more readily available.

Thoughts

Cheerio John

Hello John,

I am currently in the market for a brand new PC, and have been surfing the net for one with certain specifications, but I almost forgot about Directx. When you install say TRS2004/6 it says do you want to download directx9 during the installation process, I have always said no because I have it installed already, but if I purchased a new PC would I need to download directx9 or maybe version 10 separately, or does the Trainz DVD do it for you automatically when you install it please ??

Thanks in advance.

Ex-railwayman.

Hello John,

I am currently in the market for a brand new PC, and have been surfing the net for one with certain specifications, but I almost forgot about Directx. When you install say TRS2004/6 it says do you want to download directx9 during the installation process, I have always said no because I have it installed already, but if I purchased a new PC would I need to download directx9 or maybe version 10 separately, or does the Trainz DVD do it for you automatically when you install it please ??

Thanks in advance.

Ex-railwayman.

Basically with windows update once you have one version on it gets updated at the operating system level to the latest version. When you install the operating system if it's fairly new then it should include directx 9 if it's an old set of disks pre sp2 XP then I'd pick it up pick it up from Microsoft. Basically you need directX 9 not 10 for Trainz and Vista for directx 10.

I'd hold off until the dust settles on the new video cards and the 45 nm Intel cpus.

Cheerio John

John

It may not worry you but I tried WinXP64 on my 64 bit CPU and Gmax wouldn't run error free, it was not happy.

Are people running Gmax OK in Vista?

Cheers

Peter

Basically with windows update once you have one version on it gets updated at the operating system level to the latest version. When you install the operating system if it's fairly new then it should include directx 9 if it's an old set of disks pre sp2 XP then I'd pick it up pick it up from Microsoft. Basically you need directX 9 not 10 for Trainz and Vista for directx 10.

I'd hold off until the dust settles on the new video cards and the 45 nm Intel cpus.

Cheerio John

Thanks very much sir, I'm not going anywhere near Vista, I am choosing a new PC with Windows XP Home Edition or Professional installed, there are quite a few PC's on the net in the UK with these pre-installed.

Cheerz ex-railwayman.

John

It may not worry you but I tried WinXP64 on my 64 bit CPU and Gmax wouldn't run error free, it was not happy.

Are people running Gmax OK in Vista?

Cheers

Peter

I think there is something called a virtual machine that can run under Vista which can run XP hence GMAX. GMAX is an issue to me, perhaps some one knows an answer?

Cheerio John

This is the best computer for games and its liquid cooling and is for dx 10.1

Liquid cooling can be quite expensive if something leaks. Unless you are running your components out of spec air cooling works fine according to tomshardware.com . I run my components in spec.

I don't see how your post helps anyone unless you work for the company.

Cheerio John

shakes head in sheer amazement
I haven't seen something overpriced in a long while. What a heap of junk (in relative terms).

john: I would say wait a couple months. The 8800 GTS just got an upgrade in cores (G92), between the 8800 GT and HD3870 they are about even in performance. And like you said the 45nm Intel CPU's should be out soon (AMD just released the first Phenom core). Most new parts are slated for a Q1 release 2008.

MAGLEVSX: For goodness sake, if your going to post pointlessly at least post with accuracy. 4TB of memory isn't even possible (well ok it is but not on a cheapo alienware) The max the ALX Crossfire can have for memory is 4GB Now on the other and it can have 4TB of HARD DRIVE (HDD) storage space.
Compared to a top-of-the-line nVidia SLi setup the ALX Crossfire is junk.

from what I've seen of john he could build a computer from scratch blindfolded, a $6k+ Alienware is definately not worthy of being called an expert's computer.

Last edited:
shakes head in sheer amazement
I haven't seen something overpriced in a long while. What a heap of junk (in relative terms).

john: I would say wait a couple months. The 8800 GTS just got an upgrade in cores (G92), between the 8800 GT and HD3870 they are about even in performance. And like you said the 45nm Intel CPU's should be out soon (AMD just released the first Phenom core). Most new parts are slated for a Q1 release 2008.

MAGLEVSX: For goodness sake, if your going to post pointlessly at least post with accuracy. 4TB of memory isn't even possible (well ok it is but not on a cheapo alienware) The max the ALX Crossfire can have for memory is 4GB Now on the other and it can have 4TB of HARD DRIVE (HDD) storage space.
Compared to a top-of-the-line nVidia SLi setup the ALX Crossfire is junk.

from what I've seen of john he could build a computer from scratch blindfolded, a $6k+ Alienware is definately not worthy of being called an expert's computer.

Thank you for the complement but to be honest I keep dropping the screws when I try it blindfolded.

Note to Maglevsx there are two intentions behind this post, first to wake people up to the fact that just because it is Christmas it is not a good time to buy at the moment and second to have a discussion about the technical and cost effective merits of various options. We are talking my hard earned money here so every dollar gets stretched as far as possible. Components get selected not so much because they are the fastest but because they give a very reasonable level of performance at less than top dollar.

Cheerio John

I get your point thanks (I Im only 13)

Take it gently and you'll actually learn quite a lot by reading in the forums especially on PCs. Trainz is very demanding but because it isn't mainstream there are few benchmarks.

What you could do to be useful is run the benchmark mentioned here http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=14993 and then post your results. What that does is gives us something to compare.

If I get 24 frames per second on the benchmark with my existing computer what increase in performance am I likely to get by purchasing a computer with these sort of components? Then I can make a decision based on something other than a flashy advert. Working out what is important is a technique that can be applied to many things and normally it means you make better decisions and are more in control. Don't always fall for the flashy ads.

Cheerio John

Back