Dell 5820 with P4000

johnwhelan

My current box won't run win 11 so I noticed Dell refurbished had a tower that would. The cost was $661.71 can or $477.35 US which was cheap enough. I dropped in a used 10 TB HGST used drive from Amazon around $100 US and just for the heck of it tried running TS22 with the built in graphics card. It actually runs not too badly for my needs. The price varies wildly from day to day and for Win 11 you probably need a xeon w CPU, just check if win 11 in available on the new machines. Dropping the hard drive in was just unlatch the bay from the outside of the case and drop in the drive. No cables to connect.

Dell Precision 5820, Tower, 1x Intel Xeon 8 Core (W-2145) 3.70 GHz, 32 GB, 512 GB, No Optical, Nvidia Quadro P4000 (8 GB), 64-bit Windows 10 Professional

Cheerio John

Those refurb deals are great. Like you said, you have to watch for them because they come and go so quickly. A friend of mine got a similar system for about the same a few months ago.

I picked up a 12GB (10 GB formatted) Seagate Iron Wolf high performance server drive for $250 new on New Egg a couple of years ago. The drive comes with a 5-year warranty unlike the regular consumer drives with their 1-year and are meant for lots of use.

@johnwhelan , why the urgency to run Windows 11? If you really want to, there are steps to install it. Not worth it to me yet. It will run some things slower, by default, too. Newer hardware it will be less if not at all noticed. I am waiting for the hardware to die, or Windows 10 support to go away.

@johnwhelan , why the urgency to run Windows 11? If you really want to, there are steps to install it. Not worth it to me yet. It will run some things slower, by default, too. Newer hardware it will be less if not at all noticed. I am waiting for the hardware to die, or Windows 10 support to go away.
At the moment just internet banking but since Dell refurbished had a very cheap tower going that would run win 11 I thought I'd pick one up and play. I'll probably continue to run Trainz on my win 10 system with its multiple MLC SSDs etc.

Cheerio John

Back