New PC - i7 + 4070 laptop

dundun92

UK Content Creator
I decided to get a new laptop to replace my old 1060 desktop, and I found one with an i7 and 4070 for just $1000 on black Friday sale, so I grabbed it. (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...70-1tb-ssd-mecha-grey/6535503.p?skuId=6535503). The performance is incredible. I can max everything, including draw distance at ultra, and still maintain 60fps on heavy routes. And I can now run resource-intensive apps like Substance Painter in the background without any FPS hit (before, my system would just freeze or trainz would run down to 5fps).

Specs:
i7-12700H
16GB DDR4
1 TB SSD
RTX 4070 8GB
1080p @144hz

Congratulations on your new machine!

How is the heat? Laptops don't usually like Trainz and tend to overheat even gaming laptops tend to not work well.

Congratulations on your new machine!

How is the heat? Laptops don't usually like Trainz and tend to overheat even gaming laptops tend to not work well.
Thank you. The fan is a little loud, but not super annoying, and it did get very warm at the front while trainzing, but I only did a few quick 10-minute sessions, and I can imagine it would get hotter if i did it for longer. It has several performance modes which I thought might help reduce the heat, but if I set it to the "balanced" or "auto", suddenly the performance isn't so great, and the fps drops considerably (I assume it tried to switch to the integrated graphics) so I guess Ill keep it at performance for now...

Thank you. The fan is a little loud, but not super annoying, and it did get very warm at the front while trainzing, but I only did a few quick 10-minute sessions, and I can imagine it would get hotter if i did it for longer. It has several performance modes which I thought might help reduce the heat, but if I set it to the "balanced" or "auto", suddenly the performance isn't so great, and the fps drops considerably (I assume it tried to switch to the integrated graphics) so I guess Ill keep it at performance for now...
Thanks, that's good to know. I've been looking for a replacement laptop myself, but my Jeep took that from me when it needed tires.

The performance drop is probably due to throttling back the CPU as well as the video card. Those modes can really kill performance on machines.

There are some nice laptop coolers on Amazon for not too dear.
I had one of those for ages I got from Best Buy for about $20. The unit uses a USB port for power and has a couple of low-profile fans in it. The fans eventually died in it but I think I can replace them. They are standard-sized computer fans just low profile and clip into place.

Back