N3V NON-Help Desk

skidmark22

Retired MX Mis.Test Pilot
On Jan. 29th, 2011, I submitted the following ticket.

System info: Windows Vista (SP2) 32 bit running on AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core processor 6000+ and 3 gigs ram. Display: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT with latest drivers.

Yesterday I ran Trainz 2010 (version 44088) and downloaded from the DLS the following 2 items.
CAT 950G Logger Kuid2:31891:29002:1
CAT 950G (2003) Kuid2:31891:29001:1
After downloading and installing the items, I ran trainz in both surveyor and driver mode with no problem. I then closed the program. The computer stayed on overnight and this morning, Trainz will not start. I can open the CM but when I try to launch trainz, I get the following message:

Your computer hardware and or software is unable to communicate correctly with trainz.
Ensure you have:
Installed DirectX9
Installed the latest driver for your video card
Tried both OpenGL and DirectX settings
If the above does not work, please consult your manual or visit Technical Support etc etc

I made not changes to my computer. I did not install any new programs. I am running the program as administrator. I have done a database repair this morning after I found trainz would not start. I have Trainz 2009 and it starts and runs fine, no problems that I can tell.
This is the third time in a year that I have had a problem with Trainz 2010. Both other times, I had to uninstall and reinstall trainz. I do not want to have to do it again. It is a real pain to get all the patches back in and the extended data base repair. HELP!!!

I have never received a reply. Today I sent the following reply to the NON-Helpdesk.

I sent this in on January 29th, 2011. I have received lots of emails since then advertising your products but none in answer to my problem. Do you really expect me to spend anymore money on your products when you won't even support the ones I have now.

Well you can take you NON-helpdesk and put it where the sun don't shine. I don't need it anymore. You can close this ticket and take me off your email list. Thanks for nothing.

I see you have not realised that the helpdesk is very busy, and is currently working through a backlog of tickets.

They are sorting out the simpler ones first, then moving on to the more complex ones so they can give more time.

Technical support questions are better posted here on the forums anyway, as someone else may have had the same problem.

Shane

May well be those items you downloaded, difficult to remove them though if can't start Trainz. Could try a search on the local folder though.

Check that the screen resolution hasn't changed in trainzoptions.txt that can cause that message. Very difficult to trouble shoot that sort of error at long range, even with a help desk.

Computer stayed on over night, any updates downloaded? virus scans? check the log in case the AV has removed a bit of Trainz.

Are 2009 and 2010 on the same drive? if not I would suggest a disk check and a defrag, maybe an idea to do that anyway.

no help desk

If your help desk is so busy I thought it woul be prudent to take on extra staff to cope like any other firm and this goes for the DLS as well I had a problem caused by patch 4 and didnt get any help either but the firm I buy my train stuff from gave me anew keycode and now i am back in bussiness so lets go back when auran was running this show we had a lot more help then:sleep:

A moot point. I have the problem fixed. The main point is that in 7 weeks, N3V has had plenty of staff to try and sell their products. Plenty of staff to write advertising email and newsletters. I would guess that in that 7 weeks, I have gotten close a dozen emails and newsletters trying to sell me a product. Maybe they should take some of the sales and advertising staff and put them on the NON-helpdesk. It seems to me that 7 weeks is plenty of time to at least start to work on my problem or send me an email telling me that they have no idea what the problem is and that maybe I should try the forum. It is a sorry excuse for a company who only want to sell new products and not support what they are selling. It is totally obvious that N3V is one of those and they will never get another penny (US or Australian) out of me.

Hey skidmark,
its gud to hear your prob is solved, whenever u got a prob search and post in our forums,if its not solved then go for support ,and i think n3v should need enough team for game support.

Your computer hardware and or software is unable to communicate correctly with trainz.

anytime i get this message, with any computer program... you will need to just reboot the computer,

While I understand your frustration with the lack of a help desk response, please keep in mind that there IS a support forum here, and it's a rare problem that would have been unreported quickly.

The main point is that in 7 weeks, N3V has had plenty of staff to try and sell their products. Plenty of staff to write advertising email and newsletters.
My company does software publishing in a completely non-game related arena, and let me tell you how many people in my immediate 50 person office do emails like the ones you're complaining about: 2.
I happen to be the one who sends the emails that say "hey the product was updated".
One of the sales managers sends the "buy new products" emails.

I haven't been a customer of Auran long enough to have any idea how big their workforce is, but consider this:

A lot of companies understaff Support because of the wonders of email and voicemail and hold times.

While I understand your frustration with the lack of a help desk response, please keep in mind that there IS a support forum here, and it's a rare problem that would have been unreported quickly.

My company does software publishing in a completely non-game related arena, and let me tell you how many people in my immediate 50 person office do emails like the ones you're complaining about: 2.
I happen to be the one who sends the emails that say "hey the product was updated".
One of the sales managers sends the "buy new products" emails.

I haven't been a customer of Auran long enough to have any idea how big their workforce is, but consider this:

A lot of companies understaff Support because of the wonders of email and voicemail and hold times.

Welcome to Trainz.

I know exactly what you mean about the helpdesk. I work for a very large company with over 110,000 people. I provide the local support for over 400 people in my building. People are supposed to call the helpdesk, which is located offshore. The wait times are nearly 2 hours in some cases, with many times where no help is given anyway, because the helpdesk is way understaffed.

Because of the long dwell times in the queue, end-users get very frustrated and come to me to solve their problems. I fully understand their ire, having been a victim of the service myself. So, even in really big, well funded companies, IT support is one of the areas that is run the thinnest with the minimal amount of people in that position.

I think at Auran, there is only one person at this time, Zec Murphy, and he's trying his best to help everyone in the best way he can. I have a lot of respect for Zec and what he has to put up with. Being in this position is really a thankless job. When things go well, you rarely hear anything, but when things hit the fan, well you'll get the wrath from everyone because you're the one right at the edge of the fireline.

The good news is, I did see a job posting for someone else, so I think they're looking to get some more help for him.

John

Back