Might be cutting back on Trainz...

SantaFebuff

That's So Trainz Forum
I don't have any money to upgrade. That's it. I'm going to have to cut back on Trainz. It's getting too much to run it.

My computer can't handle the new sims anyway. My friend came over with his copy of TS2010 and I tried it out, HORRIBLE. I had 5.0FPS at best. It turns out I can only party run TRS2006 because it doesn't take as many resources.

You also know it's bad when TrainzDiag tells you your Video Drivers are 39 months out of date with no possible updates available. My video card is the outdated (and unsupported) Intel GMA Chipset 938 Integrated graphics card. Just like the laptop ones. My RAM is limited to 533MHz even though it's 1800MHz because my motherboard is that slow. Also, 2GB is my maximum allowed RAM. 2x 4GB RAMs will mean my motherboard will be toast. BTW, don't worry about me getting an actual Graphics Card, HP make sure to screw me with a straight PCI-Express x16 slot... not a 2.0 or 2.1. Meaning any graphic card I get will have to be a small one. With at most 1/2GB of RAM. (I might do that to help anyway.)

My processor isn't too bad, but is still a little behind with today's standards, since it is an Intel Pentium D dual-core processor @ 2.9GHz. My HDD drive is only 224GB in size and so that was clogged. So I bought a 1TB External HDD drive from Western Digital. That cleared up a nice a free 25GB of open space on my internal drive.

On TRS2006, my Trainz (at best) gets 10fps. I can run about 2 JR locomotives on a very un-detailed (and probably UTC era) route. However, since 3D model rendering is the problem, I have no problems handling huge hi-resolution textures.

Why post this? Well... here's the problem. I am a content creator. I have my own content. That's not a problem, but Trainz is getting buggy on me. REALLY freaking buggy. Today I was starting a new route, for example, and it ended with a Fatal Error. It started to stop showing Spline points... Then track points. Soon, I was just using what I thought would be the spline point. Then, it just froze, and on came the Fatal Error message. It's not just Trainz, it's also CMP.

Here are cases my CMP will crash/stop responding:

- Clicking fastly on it.
- Packing more that 45MB in a CDP
- Clicking too many filters at once.
- Minimizing it.
- Starting CCP for longer than 20 minutes.
- Making a new asset and waiting to open CCP for longer than 2 minutes.
- Importing a large CDP.

With it being buggy, I have it's original DVD disc, and I'm looking at re-install. The only problem is... well... here we go again. I'm a content creator. I have so much of my own work... I CANT download some of the stuff I have again. CMP doesn't want to co-operate. I have most of my stuff packed in small CDPs, so I'm fine for now. I might try a reinstall. I think my uninstaller got deleted though. :hehe: Good thing I have a force-uninstaller program lying around.

Don't worry about me, the point of this thread was to explain how I MIGHT just not be actually working with Trainz too much soon. So this isn't me trying to get your feelings soft for me, because guys, If I'm honest, I can fall back onto MSTS. Plus, I might copy CMP over and see if I can isolate it so I can make content and have someone else see if it works.

So, I'll still be around (of course!), but I might be away from creating for awhile. ;)

(Do not suggest for me to buy a new computer or build one... I have no money.)

Cheers,
Joshua

I don't have any money to upgrade. That's it. I'm going to have to cut back on Trainz. It's getting too much to run it.................
Cheers,
Joshua
I'm surprised at the poor performance you report, since your computer is in some areas more powerful than mine, and I can run ECML quite satisfactorily.
I'd look around for operating system issues that might be slowing your computer down.
Mick Berg.

Last edited:
I do have Windows 2000 Pro on a disc, that's about it. :hehe:

I run Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (32-bit). So, yeah, not the best OS.

Can't really afford the Win7 upgrade. They want nearly 300 dollars for that OS!

I'd give it worth 150 dollars. It's Windows '00 perfected with a lot more graphical appeal. Some modified features are nice too. Also, people with Windows '00, ME, and below shouldn't ask for more than $20 dollars for it. Sorry to ramble on my opinion on Operating Systems.

Cheers,
Joshua

Last edited:
TRS2006 kept things in folders under world didn't it? Just copy the world folder out.

TS2010 should do better than TRS2006 on your machine but the integrated graphics won't help. Set the sliders way back, and use native bode, the default distance in TRS2006 was 1 km in TS2010 its 5 so set that back.

I'd be tempted to back up the drive the operating system is on then reload the operating system. Get the latest drivers etc. Over time sometimes you start to get cluttered and performance drops off reinstalling the operating system can help. It also normally gets rid of any malware that might be in the system. For anti malware software the free Microsoft one doesn't do too bad a job but more importantly it doesn't have the same performance hit as some of the other anti malware software has.

Cheerio John

I do have Windows 2000 Pro on a disc, that's about it. :hehe:

I run Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (32-bit). So, yeah, not the best OS.

Can't really afford the Win7 upgrade. They want nearly 300 dollars for that OS!

I'd give it worth 150 dollars. It's Windows '00 perfected with a lot more graphical appeal. Some modified features are nice too. Also, people with Windows '00, ME, and below shouldn't ask for more than $20 dollars for it. Sorry to ramble on my opinion on Operating Systems.

Cheers,
Joshua

G'day,

With "only" 2 gigs of ram you would be hard pressed running windoze 7, let alone anyting else. It is very memory hungry.
$300 for an OS is a bit of a rip-off if you asked me. They get away with it because Smallimp has a monopoly.
Wouldn't it be nice if N3V made a Linux version of TrainZ.

E.C.

Being from 2002 rather than 2006, it runs quite well.

I don't have the performance as others (obviously) but it is still very very nice.

The only problem is actual hard drive space for all the content, which would be solved if I uninstalled Trainz. I can't bring myself to doing it, so yeah. :p

Satyr,
Precisely why I have no wishes to upgrade my Operating System.

Euphod,
Although I already have a pretty decent registry defrag, I will try that out since I always get the tracking cookies in my Temp folders. Why must Windows make them hidden. " YAAARRRGGGH! " - Quote from Half-Life Zombie

Cheers,
Joshua

Yeah, I've ran some SLI stuff. Pretty neat.

Euphod,
I really owe you one. You cleared about 30GB off my HDD from AppData and Temp folders/files.

Great program, I downloaded a few other utilities from that developer. ;)

Cheers,
Joshua

Euphod,
I really owe you one. You cleared about 30GB off my HDD from AppData and Temp folders/files.

I'm glad it worked for you. A friend of mine was having trouble with his PC, and I had installed CCleaner for him along time agao. He told me he uses it regularly, but upon intensive questioning he admitted he didn't ever use the registry cleaner tool. Once he did, his PC sped back up to usable rates.

TRS2006 kept things in folders under world didn't it? Just copy the world folder out.

<snip>

No, that was TRS2004. TRS2006 introduced CMP and the Local folder I believe.

Looks like you are in a bad situation, Joshua. The laptop computer that I currently run TRS2004 on has a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor (weaker than yours), 2 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series HyperMemory (mostly integrated) graphics, a hard drive very close to your size, and Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and TRS2004 runs well. Even when I ran it on a laptop until somewhat recently with a ~1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1270 graphics, only around 69 GB of main-partion hard drive space (running on empty now ;)), and Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit, it ran well also. Both of these are Dells. Not sure what is wrong with your computer that is killing TRS2006--I suspect that it would not be too majorly different from TRS2004 as far as performance goes--unless it is the Intel integrated graphics (just guessing) or an HP thing.

Windows Vista 32-bit is not that bad, and runs TRS2004 fine, as illustrated by our computers above, so I do not see where that would be the problem. 64-bit operating systems, according to other posts around here, allow Trainz to access more RAM, but I am not sure if that would be of an advantage on a system like yours and mine with only a couple gigabytes of RAM or less. I agree that 300 bucks is a waste on an O. S. that might not be so different from your current one when you could spend that much to upgrade your hardware instead. ;) Now I do not run Windows 7, so maybe I am missing something major, but from what I perceive from reading stuff about Windows 7 on Wikipedia, it might not be that much different from Vista, so having the latest and "greatest" might not be so necessary. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Anyway, hope you get these problems sorted out eventually.

Regards.

I'm glad it worked for you. A friend of mine was having trouble with his PC, and I had installed CCleaner for him along time agao. He told me he uses it regularly, but upon intensive questioning he admitted he didn't ever use the registry cleaner tool. Once he did, his PC sped back up to usable rates.

YES

CCleaner is amazing. :D

CCleaner-Cleans all areas of your Computer
ie_16.png
Internet Explorer
Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.

I can do all these manually on my PC ... asside from: index.dat ... whatever "Dat" iz ?

Last edited:
Back