best choice?

choochoobob1212

so first off steam is having there big spring sale and have trainz on sale i have trainz 12, TANE and Trainz 19 in my cart with a total of $19.58. is that a good deal and how well will they preform on my computer?

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1155G7 @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points
graphics card INTEL (R) Iris (R) Xe graphics

Your GPU is an intel integrated graphics albeit an Iris XE. 3d Score 2,690, which is above the minimum recommended GT 430 score 601, but realistically you want something with a 3D score of 10,000+ to get the best out of TANE, TS19 and TS22.

TS12 uses more CPU than GPU but again realistically the content for TANE is much more reliable. So yes it will work however TS22 will run TS12, TANE and TS19 content and give you better frame rates. Set the viewing distance well to the left. Middleton for laptops will definitely run on this machine some of the longer routes using more demanding content may not give you 20 fps which is the minimum I find acceptable.

Personally I'd go with TS22 https://store.trainzportal.com/pages/trainz-railroad-simulator-2022-base $24 and the PLATINUM version at $69.99. Most assets are on the DLS and are free to download but the PE version gets you a good base.

TS19 is $15 tonight night by the way https://store.trainzportal.com/pages/trainz-railroad-simulator-2019 and you don't need TS12 or TANE. TS19 will run that content.

Cheerio John

Embedded video is not a choice for Trainz.

My" GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" - 10084 score. It is difficult to cope with large routes on low graphics settings of the TS19.
Recently I tried the TS12, for some reason it is impossible to play. The hardware is half loaded, but constant jerks and frame delays do not allow you to play.

In addition, TS19 is excessively demanding on the CPU, for my i5 6600, 4 cores have to be limited to 30 FPS with large routes. Need at least 8 cores for 60 FPS.

I just wrote a little guide for TS12:

Last edited:
Most content in Trainz is created by end users of differing skill levels. Some have the attitude if it runs on my machine that's fine, others optimise the content with lower number of polys used. The content you select will have a major impact on performance. Fortunately manage content, right click, open, preview asset will show you the number of triangles and whether it has LOD or not. You want low number of triangles with LOD. IF you're happy with UK assets then use my 17_5 range, they all use the same undercarriage and repeats are practically free in Trainz.

Middleton for laptops came about as I had a Dell refurbished laptop lying around an i5 with series 4000 integrated graphics 3d score 345 so I thought I'd see if I could build something that ran on it. The result was Middleton for laptops which uses jus/t about every trick in the book to get 20+ fps. Film is 24 fps by the way so yes 60 fps is nice but do you really need it?

The ideal machine to run anything in Trainz including Sketchup models would be an RTX 4090 with a suitable CPU to keep it fed. Unfortunately the number of people who are willing to purchase such a beast before trying Trainz out is rather few. If they can start with what they have available and get a taste for the SIM that generally works out better.

CPU power is more complex than the number of cores, in general yes but feeding data into the CPU has always been a bottleneck. We use internal caches to speed up this process and the size of them has an impact. Other things that count include the complier used to compile the program. Each CPU instruction set is implemented slightly differently and an optimising compiler that is tuned to the CPU model can make a big difference, having said that in general the more cores the faster the CPU if only to spread out the heat generated which is another major limiting factor.

On a laptop heat generation will often be a problem and cause the CPU to throttle back.

Running the same content at the same viewing distance and slider settings TS22 will gain you a half fps over TS19 which in turn will gain you a frame per second over TANE. On a lower end machine every bit helps.

Cheerio John

Let me clarify with a specific example what I meant.
TS19 - I set 60 FPS in the launcher, launch the London - Edinburgh route, 50-60 FPS in the game, the CPU is always loaded at 100%, the GPU is slightly more than half.
Constant freezing, twitching, in short, it can be sustained for no more than five minutes, then blood from the eyes.
I set 30 FPS in the launcher, and I calmly drive to Edinburgh in 5.5 hours, enjoying the East coast.
At the same time, the CPU is loaded by 70-80%, and the GPU is less than half.

Best regards, Yura

Last edited:
Embedded video is not a choice for Trainz.

My" GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" - 10084 score. It is difficult to cope with large routes on low graphics settings of the TS19.
Recently I tried the TS12, for some reason it is impossible to play. The hardware is half loaded, but constant jerks and frame delays do not allow you to play.

In addition, TS19 is excessively demanding on the CPU, for my i5 6600, 4 cores have to be limited to 30 FPS with large routes. Need at least 8 cores for 60 FPS.

I just wrote a little guide for TS12:
Check the Trainz settings and make sure it's not set to Open/GL.

Not in TRS19 but in TS12 as you were posting about TS12 running like crap.
I get it, you mean my one specific message:
I forgot to write, and now I've added TS19 to it so that there are no ambiguities in the future.
Everything in this thread I wrote about TS19, but I only mentioned 12 and created a separate thread:

Back