merging cloned (= modified) payware routes

.. I use this (wysiwyg) workaround:
If I see a turfx setting i like, i make a screenshot(sometimes2) of the settings .. go to the route i want it in and set it like on the screenshot .. a bit more work maybe but no merging needed ..
.. thankz gm, for the useful tip ..
i already use that method since the 1st merge i did .. and it's fine to remember it here .. i also use it for laying down the settings for the lightning .. so, i have some settings for effect layers and lightning from creators like jointedrail, philskene, smyers and some others, gathered in my skillbuilding database .. lightbulb : maybe i have to share them on my site ..
stay safe and let you inspire ..
grtz
daveric

QA team said:
Hi zsuda - Thank you for your report. A task has been opened .. Ref: TSR 650544280
This report is from: zsuda
1. Bug Summary : merging non-payware routes while maintaining effect layers
2. Build Number : 111341 Trainz Beta (PC)
3. Bug appears in previous version? : 105096 and before (from beginning trs19)@
4. Where does the issue occur? : Surveyor
5. Detailed Description
- open surveyor
- choose route
- edit route
- check topology / advanced / ground = effect layers existing
- exit route
- choose guest route
- edit route
- check topology / advanced / ground = effect layers existing
- exit route
- go back to 1st route and edit route
- tools menu / merge route
- choose guest route (which is checked for effect layers)
- merge (after setting everything is ok)
- check topology / advanced / ground = effect layers has no additives from guest route ..
6. KUID List : [Not asked]
7. Reproduce on demand? : Yes
8. What you expect to happen : i was expecting that the effect layers of the final merged route was the sum of the merging routes ..
QA team proceeds :
Hi zsuda - Just following up on this, the task has been placed with dev which they have marked as a request for a future build as it currently isn't in the design.
As you reported, the "parent" route (the one you open for edit) is the one that'll keep its Effect Layers.
The child route (the one being merged into the parent) will lose them but the custom effect layer will persist in the database so you can use it again.
i.e. - if you open effect layers dialog and if you've saved custom effect layers as a new asset, it'll at least be available for use in the dropdown list.

To demo my meaning here is the test we ran.
To avoid KUID conflicts, it's a good idea to test this against a new data folder.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Import the attached CDP having two routes and two custom TFX Effect Layers
2. Checking these in surveyor you will find:
<kuid:898961:100001> Route (EF01)
<kuid:898961:100005> turffx - SQA00
<kuid:898961:100006> Route (EF02)
<kuid:898961:100008> turffx - SQA01
3. Load "Route (EF01)" in surveyor, go "Tools Menu > Merge Route"
4. In the Merge Route dialog select "Route (EF02)" as your merge with target.
5. In the next dialog resolve all the "red" issues so you can do the merge
...you can merge route layers or not - no diff.
6. Now go to Topology > Advanced > Effect Layer (dropdown)

Expected:
Both effect layers SQA00 & SQA01 are resident on the merged maps AND in the Effect Layer dropdown.

Actual:
Only the parent route maintains its effect layer (SQA00).
The merged route is missing its effect layer (SQA01) on the baseboard & dropdown.

Work-around:
At step #3, go "Topology > Advanced > Edit\Add effect layers"
This opens the Effect Layers dialog.
Looking in the Effect Preset dropdown we can see both custom effect layers are resident (SQA00\01)
We need to add this to the dropdown in the "Advanced" section.
To do this click "Add a new effect layer" in the Effect Layers dialog.
Since SQA00 is already there, we want SQA01 - so I'll use that name again for my "new" TFX layer.
Now select the Effect Preset SQA01 and click OK to close the Effect Layer dialog.

Now if you click the dropdown under "Advanced" both SQA00 and SQA 01 are present.
This isn't a solution for the TFX missing on the merged map, but at least it allows you to reuse custom effect layers w\o having to redo all the params you previously had made.

me .. :
.. thank you very much QA team .. zikchil1 ..
i did the test with the steps to reproduce .. as checked in supplied pdf ..
i stopped at "step #3", after looking in the effect preset dropdown, because i didn't see both custom effect layers are resident ...
- did i point out the correct "effect preset dropdown" ?

additional questions - just curiosity :
- why are your effect layers <kuid:898961:100005> en <kuid:898961:100008> not present in the config.txt, nor in the dependencies list ?
- and why are only the used turfFX in the presets (<kuid2:701021:100029:5> and <kuid2:661281:65035:4>) mentioned in config.txt and dependencies list ?
- why are my own effect layer presets not in kuids like yours ?

thankz anyway for your time and willing ..
grtz
dave

supplied pdf :
merging-issues.jpg

QA team :
Hi zsuda - Ah yes, the difference is you're in a non TRS+ version of the game, so that additional dropdown isn't there as well as a few other features that explain the KUID\save question.
Sorry about that, I didn't account for that in my demo but as a result I've updated the bug reporting form with a question that'll help QA test against the correct user flag.

effectLayer_UI_diffs.jpg

You're very welcome, and thanks for the very fine & well formed reporting with excellent screenshots. Extremely helpful!
Here are some other links for Effect Layers that may be useful to readers of your thread as well.
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/TurfFX_Effect_Layer
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Effect_Layer_Dialog
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Effect_Layer_Assets
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Effect_Layer
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Clutter_Effect_Layer

George

.... end corresponding ...
so, there is a sub-solution when you have trs19+ ... and i'm gonna wait patiently till it is in a/the future build ...
thank you so much george / zikchil / qa team for listening and your time and willing ...
let's have some fun again ..
grtz
dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave and zikchil1
So it's partly possible, when you use Plus

a few questions:
-can those turfx.cdp's be imported in any version and thus shared(on DLS)?
-I see version 4.8, but what if we have 4.6 or 4.7?

I would change to plus for this, but only if i can get a version before SP1
fear you can only start at SP2 if I switch and thats no option here.
I need a stable version, where Undo is where I want and carz and splines behave normal.
greetings GM

edit: on the DLS I found 2 turfx, build4.6, downloaded and they work in my TRS 100240 European version
great !!

Last edited:
Back