Keeping an interest in routebuilding

Andres_Nunez

Buffalonian
How do you keep an interest in routes your making? I am so serious!!! I mean i start making routes all enthusiastic and stuff and then after a while i start to avoid it. Like i get tired of it after a while and then it sits around until it gets deleted. Its so hard staying interested in something your making. Does anybody else feel the same way about making routes? You start doing it and then you get distracted either by making something else or not doing it at all. Somebody give me some advice because i desperately need it, This does not refer to my MN NH line im making, im pretty involved in that because apart from route building there is converting measurements and finding out elevations and the environment keeps me interested in it. But making a fictional route how do you stay interested in making it?

I've made a few routes, lost a bit of interest for a while, but never delete them before starting a new one.

Switching Routes can mean researching and building a different country or location, and/or a different era. That tends to maintain the interest.

The other thing that can happen is that a new asset can be discovered which is "just what I need on that route I abandoned". Often, a return to that saved route generates new enthusiasm to continue building.

The Forum can also generate new interest with the exchange of ideas and techniques which can be applied. It's all part of the learning process.

Constant practice can help enormously. Newly discovered ways of doing things can result in a make-over of a route, improving on what has already been laid down. I try to do something every day. I recall Dermmy giving that advice, "even if it's just adding one tree". That action can often stimulate a productive session lasting much longer than the time it takes to lay one tree. You have been warned!

I started out making fictional routes - the first two that I posted on the DLS were fictional. I initially enjoyed the freedom that they gave me - not having to conform to any realities or facts (apart from maintaining a "realistic look"). I then started on modelling a real route (not really sure why) and noticed that, unlike fictional routes, they presented me with a different kind of challenge, with real problems to solve. I had to get the geography, both natural and man-made, right. Suddenly reality and facts did matter. All my posted DLS layouts since then have been based on real routes and I have little, if any, interest in going back to fantasy.

I haven't done a route but I like making screenshot scenes.
P1040934_20.jpg

My list of failures (not complete by any means) is reproduced here: http://www.trainsimdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=481

The biggest single problem is distraction, particularly compared to 10 years ago when it was much harder to gather resources and information. Long projects also lead to boredom, particularly placing endless fields or having to create several towns to at least a convincing level of reality - non of which has much to do with the railway infrastructure or ultimately driving trains on the route.

As Cascaderailroad mentions the main thing is to find something you find interesting, not necessarily playing to the crowd. It needs to sustain your enthusiasm through the dark days when you're lacking motivation or generally tired, when things end up hitting the recycling bin for the most trivial of reasons. Certainly these days I've more chance of finishing a model based project or short branch line than a complex main line route. If the mojo is failing then break off and do something else for a few days, put down some laminate flooring, do some decorating or run through a Sudoku puzzle book. Don't sit staring at the computer screen with your head in hands and heart pounding in a panic attack - it's not worth it.

And finally, never ever announce an intended project or WIP until it is 80% complete and certain of getting a release as otherwise eventually you end up losing all credibility.

Andres

I think you have answered your own question. It seems that prototypical routes hold more interest for you than fictional ones. So stop doing the fictional routes, or at least only make small ones so they get finished before you lose interest. They could be as small as 1 baseboard, there are many like that. Or you might like to do one of those "model railroadz" since they are quite compact.

Another alternative, completely different from route building, is to take up 3D modelling and make some assets for use in Trainz. That's what I did when I got disenchanted with doing layouts and I've never gone back to them.

~ Deane

This happens and is part of the creative process no matter what it is. Artists and musicians will work feverishly on a project the reach the brick wall. When that happens the best thing is to take a break and do something else, otherwise things get ruined and in our case deleted.

So there are various things you can do to spark the interest again.

I find that watching rail videos, whether old or new, or whether they're not eve of my current route project, will get me enthused again. This is especially true of cab rides as they give a different perspective of the route rather than just a drive by of the locomotives.

If I'm not watching videos, I'm looking at maps, both past and present, and gathering ideas for track layouts, buildings, and other things.

Go for a drive, walk, or bike ride and go see the real thing. You don't even have to take photos. Sometimes just watching the operation in real life becomes inspiration for a new route or continued construction on a present one.

Do something else outside the hobby, as Cascade mentioned. Having other hobbies and things to do helps put this into the background so the creative process is continuing while you're doing other stuff. Then when you sit down and do some building, stuff is planned, well sort of, and you will have an easier time route building.

John

I limit myself to working on my route each day to 20-30 minutes and if I start getting bored with something, like putting in trees, I will switch to something else like power poles. I have been working on my Polar Bear Express route now for about 4 months and am making good progress, now putting down snow. I think marathon work sessions turn the hobby into a chore.

I think the biggest challenge like Mezz says very true but also making a list of things that you want on paper...
like jotting down items from cmp that you like...for most part is goin back and searching for things you want kindda puts the ugh in everything...

What I do is to archive my old routes onto a special hard drive when I tire of them.
It means they are not staring at you when you start Trainz.
Then when I check them out sometimes if I am looking for something to do, I find a fresh look often does wonders.
My routes are not worth uploading because I don't do scenery other than very basic stuff. I spend a lot of time on tracks, relaying or tidying up, I have got very good at making neat and complex yards.
I set my routes to run in a dispatcher mode, to see how many trains can be run at the same time.
Cheers,
Mike

How do you keep an interest in routes your making? I am so serious!!! I mean i start making routes all enthusiastic and stuff and then after a while i start to avoid it. Like i get tired of it after a while and then it sits around until it gets deleted. Its so hard staying interested in something your making. Does anybody else feel the same way about making routes? You start doing it and then you get distracted either by making something else or not doing it at all. Somebody give me some advice because i desperately need it, This does not refer to my MN NH line im making, im pretty involved in that because apart from route building there is converting measurements and finding out elevations and the environment keeps me interested in it. But making a fictional route how do you stay interested in making it?

i have the same problem like you.

Since first playing Trainz, I've been doing fantasy routes, and my one route that I have not lost interest in is my A Forest Test route. My other routes that I started I've either shelved for a much later time, or scrapped entirly. Currently, however, I've started working on a relistic route, the Yankton SD railroad, and since beginning the BIG task, it comes with it's ups and downs.

If you like solving lots of problems ... then Trainz is for you.

If you have a short attention span ... running Trainz may be your speed ... but not routebuilding

Same as if you wanted to take a long college course in CAD ... "How will I keep my interest in the schooling program" ?... Either you do it ... Or your flunk, and abandon the class.

Back