Idiot AI's

skeeter314159

Hi everyone, I have noticed a trainz trend, as trainz technology gets better it seems to me that the AI drivers are going in the other direction. From randomly derailing to not being able to complete their programed jobs(not programed by me, by trainz) if anyone knows a fix please tell me.
Thanks

If the AI has the same information you have given us then its no wonder it cant complete its job. What are you refering to? to get a fix.

I have found that telling an AI driver to drive to/via, from Point A, to Point Z is too non-descript ... You should instruct them to, drive to/viaPoint A, B, C, D, E, F ... Z.

Track markers help tell a train to take a desired path through switchs ... Track direction markers help block wrong runing AI Trainz.

Somtimes a signal placement needs moving, up, or down, the track, as it is blockading train movements.

I agree with the problems of AI Drivers. Sometimes, in order to get to a specific place, they back-up, and go strange places, when they could have just driven directly there. There are also a lot of problems whenever turnouts are close to each other. And, as Cascaderailroad mentioned, signal placements are at bad spots sometimes. Alll of these issues should have been dealt with before TrainZ was sold. I beleive Auran is selling their products before they have been well-tested.

Dean

Sorry about the confusion, what I mean by programed by trainz are the driver tasks set in built in sessions. Get what I mean? (sorry if I don't always make my piont clear)

Sorry about the confusion, what I mean by programed by trainz are the driver tasks set in built in sessions. Get what I mean? (sorry if I don't always make my piont clear)

Unless the session was made by Auran (-18, -12, -3, or -1), the AI trains in built-in sessions were programmed by end users like us.

I sometimes have hassle with the AI as well. For example, when I try to have AI trains on Neil's Desert Mountain Plains Route, some signals are red even though there's a clear track ahead, and I have to manually control them to keep them going.

The AI isn't stupid. It is inexorably logical and adheres exactly to it's programmed instructions. It has no choice, it's a computer.

Now while I accept that there can be issues in getting the AI to do exactly what you want it to, that doesn't equate to a 'stupid AI'. It means the instructions are not correct. Working out WHY they are not correct can be a challenge, even a frustrating challenge, but there is always a fix even if it involves asking somebody to write a new command or rule....

I wish there was a command or script or whatever whereby it could instruct A.I. trains to not go backward. I think that would solve some problems.

Cheers,

Dave

Yes but why do they randomly derail? I can't complete the avery-drexel "Northern Pacific Lookout Pass" session, because when I have made it down the pass and am going to join the MILW at Haugan (or is it Henderson?) on my way back to drexel, an AI waiting in the siding derails, and it says Derailment Detected Session Over and I can't complete the session.

In my case, I can issue the commands to AI and in the first session they work. You save the session and next time the train is repeating the exact same thing it did, it gets confused and takes the wrong turn, realizes it did, and goes back, then sometimes the switch switches at the last car, and the train derails. Those that say it is an exact science controlled by our programing.. can you explain why it happens to me? (and for the look of it, I am not the only one..)

I wish there was a command or script or whatever whereby it could instruct A.I. trains to not go backward. I think that would solve some problems.
Cheers,Dave

That is an excellent idea !

I use:
Autopilot
Autodrive
Drive
Just Drive
Drive Via
Drive To
Derailed Vehicle Eraser
All of which Rules are on the DLS

Mostly I use Cab Mode and drive like a real engineer ... and for the most part, I use DCC mode

Last edited:
Back