How to Post Screenshots (Simplified 2011 Version)

Steveo241

Hi All,

Recently, there have been many new members of the forum community asking for help on how to post screenshots, and since the original thread is a bit outdated, I thought I'd make a new one.

Today I'll be using two basic programs, FRAPS and Hostthenpost.

FRAPS is a screencapturing service provided free (with limitations) or for purchase (with no limitations). The free version works just fine for what we're doing here today.

If you do not have FRAPS already, you can download it here: http://www.fraps.com/download.php

After you successfully install that, you're ready to get going. Open FRAPS and make sure you have everything set to the way you want.

This screen is telling me that my images will be saved to the location listed, by pressing the F10 key in-game (if a yellow Frames Per Second counter isn't showing on the screen during a game, try pressing F12)

Once you've gone into Trainz and have taken a screenshot, you can get ready to post it here on the forums. I use www.hostthenpost.org for it's simplicity, and lack of advertisements.

When you get there, you will see this screen:

Click one of the browse buttons, as circled. Those will bring you to a menu such as this one:

Locate your image, which is in the folder you told FRAPS to save it in. I'm using a picture of my cat, because it's the first thing I found. Click the picture, and click the Open button at the bottom right corner of the window.

This is the screen you will then see. Click Host! to get your screenshot uploaded.

Voila! My shot has been uploaded to the site and is ready to be placed into a message on the forums. Copy only the "Forum" line, as everything else is pretty much irrelevant to this particular forum.

You'll then want to come here, to the Auran/N3V forums and head to the Screenshots section, which you obviously have found already. Find the thread you want to post your screenshot in, and click "Post Reply"

You'll be greeted by a blank box where you can post your comments, messages, and, when appropriate, questions. We're posting the link you copied in the last picture, like this:

Once you've done that, you're on the home stretch. Add a caption by writing anything below the link, and you're good. Make sure your post is neat and well written to preserve the decency of the forums by clicking "Preview Post", located below the box:

And if everything looks good to you, go ahead and click "Submit Reply" down below! Congratulations, you've posted a screenshot!

If anyone would like a tutorial for another site such as Imageshack, Photobucket, or TinyPic (I didn't use those because they aren't as straightforward, or there are those stupid CAPTCHA security checks), please let me know.

Also, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to post them here.

Enjoy!

Steve :wave:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the free version of fraps only saves in .bmp format.

Won't you need to convert to .jpg before posting to the forum?

2009, 2010, and 2012 save screenshots in the User Data folder, already in JPG format, whenever the "Print Screen" key is pressed. FRAPS may be useful to some users, but is not required.

Hmm, maybe it's me, but I rather had the lossless tga format for my initial screenshots, or an option of choice of course. :hehe:

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

I don't recall changing any settings to achieve the save in JPG format, but then I don't recall many things I have done in the past!:hehe:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the free version of fraps only saves in .bmp format.

Won't you need to convert to .jpg before posting to the forum?

It doesn't need to be, but it can be easier that way. And I know there is the built-in way, I've just never really liked it. Just thought I'd share my way :)

Steve :wave:

Back