How to disable signal speed limits?

railfanner563

I am using the Jointed Rail searchlights and it changes the speed limit when I don't want it to. Is there any way to turn this off?

You must have a signal every 2 miles. This is the same as a real railroad. Violations of this assumes a defective signal and automatically slows the train since the engineer/driver is "driving blind.

You must have a signal every 2 miles. This is the same as a real railroad. Violations of this assumes a defective signal and automatically slows the train since the engineer/driver is "driving blind.
What if I have signals spaced out less than that?

What if I have signals spaced out less than that?
Probably no problem. I have done that by accident and did not see any unusual reaction. . Since railroads are cheap it is unlikely in real-life. As a note, I stopped messing with the ruler and simply estimated so I am sure I am less than 2 miles in most cases.

This also depends upon the type of signals. Interlocking signals (Type 08 in JR parlance) will force a slowdown to 15 mph to cross over the interlocking. The other issue is if you don't have enough signals, your AI drivers will operate under yellow signals. What you might want to try is place a series of Type 05 (permissive/advance) signals spaced out to equal the longest consist you are running if you are not using interlocking signals. For faster, shorter trains, your signals can be closer. The reason for this is because you want your consists to fit completely within the blocks for smoothest operations.

When you go from double to single track you want a Type 06 on the single-track side and an absolute or Type 04 on the double-track side to protect the switch.

Here's a breakdown of the different signals to help you:

Type 04 = Absolute. There is no yellow signal, it's either red or green.
Type 05 = Permissive. These have that small black bar where the name of the signal is located.

In real life, the engineer or conductor would call the dispatcher for permission (aka permissive) to pass, but since we don't have a dispatcher, the AI just pass them. Spaced out carefully and multiple trains can follow each other. A yellow Type 05 indicates an upcoming red, so they're very useful some distance prior to a junction or where tracks go from double to single to indicate the aspect of the upcoming Absolute signal protecting the junction.

Type 06 = Diverging signals. Placed where two tracks split - usually where tracks go from double to single. These will show which track is active by which signal is green in on this two-headed signal.

Don't use the for a track splitting off for a stub-ended siding because that will confuse the AI.

Type 08 = Interlocking. Use these for crossovers and wyes. On wyes protect each junction. The speed will drop to 15 mph when traversing through a Type 08.

Thank you, JCitron; I`ve never understood signals well, though it appears that I`d gotten Absolute and Permissive right. Now to figure out how to tell them apart in Surveyor.

This also depends upon the type of signals. Interlocking signals (Type 08 in JR parlance) will force a slowdown to 15 mph to cross over the interlocking. The other issue is if you don't have enough signals, your AI drivers will operate under yellow signals. What you might want to try is place a series of Type 05 (permissive/advance) signals spaced out to equal the longest consist you are running if you are not using interlocking signals. For faster, shorter trains, your signals can be closer. The reason for this is because you want your consists to fit completely within the blocks for smoothest operations.

When you go from double to single track you want a Type 06 on the single-track side and an absolute or Type 04 on the double-track side to protect the switch.

Here's a breakdown of the different signals to help you:

Type 04 = Absolute. There is no yellow signal, it's either red or green.
Type 05 = Permissive. These have that small black bar where the name of the signal is located.

In real life, the engineer or conductor would call the dispatcher for permission (aka permissive) to pass, but since we don't have a dispatcher, the AI just pass them. Spaced out carefully and multiple trains can follow each other. A yellow Type 05 indicates an upcoming red, so they're very useful some distance prior to a junction or where tracks go from double to single to indicate the aspect of the upcoming Absolute signal protecting the junction.

Type 06 = Diverging signals. Placed where two tracks split - usually where tracks go from double to single. These will show which track is active by which signal is green in on this two-headed signal.

Don't use the for a track splitting off for a stub-ended siding because that will confuse the AI.

Type 08 = Interlocking. Use these for crossovers and wyes. On wyes protect each junction. The speed will drop to 15 mph when traversing through a Type 08.
The Forum has a wealth of information for the seeking.

I always hear issues with AI slowing down, or completely stopping with confusion.

Did not know stub-ended Siding was an issue with Type 06, now I have to go thru and update my Stub end situations to a different signal.

Thank John, it was fun going to Signal School today. ;) (y)

You're so welcome, Blue. It's fun stuff once you start wiring everything up and it works.

I've had AI sit at signals for unknown reasons as well. I reported this issue ages ago to N3V during the early T: ANE days but no one could figure it out because a slight change in the signal configuration would make everything work and then it wouldn't again. As you know from being in IT, intermittent issues are the most frustrating if not impossible critters to find.

I have had the mysterious stops at 06 signals for no reason many times. I would just stick in a 05 signal as better than nothing (2 mile requirement) . However the123784 TRS22+ does not have this problem. Now 06 signals seem to work in a rational fashion. The diddling with the AI code for TLR may have fixed it.

You're so welcome, Blue. It's fun stuff once you start wiring everything up and it works.

I've had AI sit at signals for unknown reasons as well. I reported this issue ages ago to N3V during the early T: ANE days but no one could figure it out because a slight change in the signal configuration would make everything work and then it wouldn't again. As you know from being in IT, intermittent issues are the most frustrating if not impossible critters to find.
Good Morning John,

Meant to ask, instead of 06 Signal for Stub and AI issues, what do recommend to use as a replacement then, would some type of Dwarf be good to use. I await your thoughts. :unsure:

Good Morning John,

Meant to ask, instead of 06 Signal for Stub and AI issues, what do recommend to use as a replacement then, would some type of Dwarf be good to use. I await your thoughts. :unsure:
I would put a dwarf on the stub siding facing towards the mainline and put nothing on the mainline at all. Think of dwarf signals, since they are absolute signals unless specified, as stop signs.

Curiosity question - does the dwarf on the stub stop the train at the dwarf or prevent entry?
With the signal light facing towards the stub-end, it will stop the train. I don't see why you would want to face the signal the other way unless you did that by mistake.

Back