Speed Limits

rhban

I am very dissatisfied with the speed boards on offer on DLS. I don't want invisible speed signs, but it seems they are the only high speed ones available over 130 kph. It does appear that high temperatures may prevent any long distance high speed trains every running here in Australia, although I suspect financial and political forces are also behind this, but in my routes, I expect my trains to move at European speeds, ie up to at least 200 kph. On top of that, much of the existing signage would be illegible to drivers moving at speed, so I want to design my own speed boards.
The problem is I haven't the faintest idea how to go about it. Could some kind person please point me in the right direction?

My (admittedly limited) understanding on how speed restrictions work on high speed lines is that the speed limit is transmitted to the driver via a radio link from track equipment as the train approaches a new speed zone. As you state any physical signs would flash by so fast that they would be unreadable to the driver.

So in this example, invisible speed signs would be perfect.

Hi,

I've also made speedboards up to 210km/h, for each step of 10 km/h . Be aware that they have definetly not an Australian look !! (<KUID:23299:230xx) .

Cheers,

Philippe

I don`t remember much about them, but I`m pretty sure that back in my Trainz2004 or Trainz2009/2010 days I saw a speed sign that was configurable in Surveyor: You could change the limit and that`s what drivers would see. I think that they also had a displayed number that would also change. I haven`t seen any such since I installed Trainz22PE, however. (Different machine, for one.)

a speed sign that was configurable in Surveyor: You could change the limit and that`s what drivers would see.
The closest I could find to something that matches that description is

<kuid2:61119:22000:1> VSB NSW LHS

which has two speed signs, one I believe was for priority 1 trains and the other for priority 2 and 3 trains. The values displayed on both could be set in Surveyor. It is available on the DLS.

There is another Surveyor only version which is only visible in Surveyor - I would guess it has no effect in Driver.

<kuid2:61119:22007:1> VSB NSW Surveyor Only (there is a more recent version <kuid2:61119:22007:2> which is packaged in a DLC download).

Both have a build version number of 2.2 which makes them TS2004 era assets.

My (admittedly limited) understanding on how speed restrictions work on high speed lines is that the speed limit is transmitted to the driver via a radio link from track equipment as the train approaches a new speed zone. As you state any physical signs would flash by so fast that they would be unreadable to the driver.

So in this example, invisible speed signs would be perfect.
I have to agree with you, recently i managed to catch 318 Km/h with TGV Duplex after a straight of opportunity after a lake in Adrushivka -Vinnitza. Practically travelling above 250km/h and in real life also makes it impossible to see details, with this speed the only things that are visible are trees, the track , the sky and the signals. The only way to read a signal is to press pause.

There is another Surveyor only version which is only visible in Surveyor - I would guess it has no effect in Driver.
I disagree. I think that it would be fully-functional in Driver, just invisible.

I can`t build map objects worth a hill of beans, but if I were to find an editable sign that looks good, I could probably convert it into a functional speed limit sign for current versions of Trainz. I wouldn`t be allowed to upload it to the DLS without permission, of course.

I don`t remember much about them, but I`m pretty sure that back in my Trainz2004 or Trainz2009/2010 days I saw a speed sign that was configurable in Surveyor: You could change the limit and that`s what drivers would see. I think that they also had a displayed number that would also change. I haven`t seen any such since I installed Trainz22PE, however. (Different machine, for one.)
Moreover, only a few version back, I could use DB speed signs that went up to 160 kph, but now they no longer seem to work.

radoslavcz kuid 242944, has made a lot of speed boards.
Search the name: CZ rychlost
Thanks for the tip. They work well and are sufficiently large to be legible at speed. I am going to change all my speed signs to this type.
Who would have thought that the words for "speed": Macedonian brzina, Russian skorost' and Czech rychlost would be so utterly different?

Brzina sounds like a girl's name. I can hear guys yelling "Hey Brzina!, come over here!"

I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

Back