how do you create slow orders

cwells1218

I have all my flags like yellow and green flags. my problem im running into is trains speed limit will increase with train still being on slow order. i put an invisible 10 down on a bridge but when it hits its next speed change it increases the speed limit. i need it to hold slow order speed until entire train clears restriction then increase speed.

The only way I can think of is to put in a stretch of invisible slow speed limits for that area you want to simulate a slow order. I'm not sure if it's possible to put speed limits on a session layer but that would be ideal because they can then be turned on and off depending upon the session rather than needing multiple copies of the route.

Do you have a higher speed limit before the slow one?
Trains slow when the front reaches the lower speed limit but if the rear passes a higher speed limit while the train is still in the slow area it will speed up. You must have at least the length of the train plus a bit between the speed signs.

Not disagreeing with you whatsoever about how it /does/ work, I think that the way it /should/ work is that the lowest speed limit in effect anywhere along the length of the train would be the effective limit.

Not disagreeing with you whatsoever about how it /does/ work, I think that the way it /should/ work is that the lowest speed limit in effect anywhere along the length of the train would be the effective limit.
This is how we like to operate but in real life, the speed is in effect for the length of the train. A train will slow down for the slow speed limit and will remain at that limit until the train completely passes the slow speed section. The reason for this is safety. The end of the train has to be completely within the next speed zone prior to speeding up, if the speed is faster after being in a slower area due to the possibility that the freight cars or passenger cars in the rear of the train are still negotiating tight curves or switches while the front of the train is now speeding up.

I don`t understand. The first two thirds of your "but in real life" sound to me exactly like what I said myself, while the last third is just confusing.
The train has to run at a slow speed, within the slow order, until the very last coach/car/wagon, whatever you want to call it, has exited the slow order section. This is for safety reasons to ensure that the whole train can negotiate junctions, curves, etc., and applies to all slow speeds. As soon as the end of the train is completely past the resume speed sign, the train can accelerate to the posted speed for the tracks.

This is how it is in real life.

Exactly what I said. Exactly. I just said it in fewer words. So why the "but in real life" if you`re agreeing with me? <puzzled head-scratching>

Exactly what I said. Exactly. I just said it in fewer words. So why the "but in real life" if you`re agreeing with me? <puzzled head-scratching>
Many people assume that like car drivers a train engineer can put his foot to the metal and take off at full speed once he sees the new speed limit then complain that it doesn't work that way in real life according to operating rules and apparently worldwide for that matter and not just in the US.

This happened to me also, so at my coal plant where I load a 100 hoppers, let's say the train is 1000m long, you have a reduced speed 30km/h at 500m before the loader and then the required 8km/h speed at the loader. When the train starts to load. The back 500m of the train has not pass the 30km/h sign, although the train is already travelling at 8km/h,as soon as the last hopper passes the 30km/h, the speed increases to 30km/h, although the front section is still passing the 8km/h sign. So I just make sure that there is no other speed signs within the length of the train. Maybe a bug?

Not a bug. A consist has two trigger points, the lead vehicle and the last vehicle. they both react on passing a speed signal. If you have a 1000m length train speed signs need to be at least 1020m apart.
As Lewiscc65 said use the set max speed (8kph) driver command to reduce speed through a slow section. Place a second set max speed (unlimited) 1020m past the slow section. This command overrides the track speed if lower.

Not a bug in the implementation, agreed, as that is apparently how it was designed. Personally, I think that it is a bug in the design, because the design fails to take into consideration intermediate reduced-speed zones. I can think of a way that /would/ work: When the session is loaded, the train should scan the track under it for speed signs and record all it finds in an array. Whenever the train passes a speed sign, the details need to be added to the leading end or removed from the trailing end, depending on which end has encountered the sign. The effective limit would then be whatever the minimum speed recorded in the array is. Suitable arrangements would have to be made for when trains lengthen or shorten, of course. Rescanning the track underneath the new consist(s) would be sufficient. Most of this could easily be implemented in gamescript. Getting Trainz to use the modified code, on the other hand, might require intervention by N3V, as I believe that instances of class Train are created and destroyed by the game engine, and I don`t know any way of tricking the system into using our modified class, short of hacking the game.

Do you have a higher speed limit before the slow one?
Trains slow when the front reaches the lower speed limit but if the rear passes a higher speed limit while the train is still in the slow area it will speed up. You must have at least the length of the train plus a bit between the speed signs.
Absolutely. I find this often happens at points (switches) - I used to try and slow my fast trains before the switch and then set another high speed mark on the straight, express line, while the turning off branch remains at a fairly slow speed. So I might have a 120 kph main line slowing to 40 kph before the switch and speeding up again after while the turn-off slows down to 20 kph for a while. In practice, the back end of the train on the slow branch encountered the 40 kph again, so I have (almost) learnt not to do things quite like that.

Absolutely. I find this often happens at points (switches) - I used to try and slow my fast trains before the switch and then set another high speed mark on the straight, express line, while the turning off branch remains at a fairly slow speed. So I might have a 120 kph main line slowing to 40 kph before the switch and speeding up again after while the turn-off slows down to 20 kph for a while. In practice, the back end of the train on the slow branch encountered the 40 kph again, so I have (almost) learnt not to do things quite like that.
Use <kuid2:137715:23002:3> Invisible Speed-Signal v2 (TRS2004 SP2) before junctions. This asset can be set for different speeds depending on the junction's direction. The Mainline can stay at 120 kmh while the branch can be 20 kmh. You can use scenery speed signs to show visible track speeds.

Use <kuid2:137715:23002:3> Invisible Speed-Signal v2 (TRS2004 SP2) before junctions. This asset can be set for different speeds depending on the junction's direction. The Mainline can stay at 120 kmh while the branch can be 20 kmh. You can use scenery speed signs to show visible track speeds.
Thanks for the tip. I will try it, but why does this one work where others don't?

Back