How do you Download stuff?

Stuntie

New user here, so apologise if I'm missing what's obvious to long term users.

I have been trying to download a couple of items to get a particular locomotive I'm interested in.
However nothing I try works.

I've tried the "Content" in the launch menu, and the "updates" section in Trainz itself - both tell me asset file not found. Nothing downlaods at all no matter what I select - even recently uploaded items just to try and get downloads working.
I've tried the Download Station here and it tells me "The address wasn't understood" (trainz://install/<KUID:438196:51405> etc.)
I've tried some Cart system but it says that the appliocation isn't installed.

I have no manual (steam install), and quite frankly have no blooming idea how to get anything downloaded whatsoever.
ANy help would be appreciated.

I don't mind getting a FCT, but I am loathe to buy a FCT when I can't get the downlaods to work at all.

Hi and welcome to Trainz,

First make sure your game is patched. Since you are on Steam, they probably took care of that for you.
Next: Make sure you run the game as Administrator.
Next: Make sure your username and password are correctly entered under Options.

After that, go to the Content menu on your start-up window, search for what you want and start downloading.

After you click "Content" and the program appears, open the Search pane on the left.

In the first dropdown box select "Asset KUID".
In the second dropdown box enter "KUID:438196:51405".
Click "apply" or press enter.

Open the Download Helper pane on the left and drag the shown asset into it. Alternatively simply right click > Download.
Don't forget to commit the asset if you haven't set CM to automatically do so.

Without a FCT your download speeds may be 3.7kbs, and limited to 100mb per 24 hours... but with a FCT your speeds may be 375kbs, and unlimited downloads

Thanks for the help, but still no joy.

On Steam, and fully patched.
Have full admin rights on the PC (Vista with the stupid admin UAC lockdown system turned off)
Also Steam installed to a non program files folder, so not a UAC issue.
Full access granted on the TS2012 folder.
Username/Password set and key registered with Auran. ID correct in Content manager.

Tried adding the KUID directly, or by selecting it. No luck.
Get: Failed to download asset '<kuid2:438196:1703:1>' etc. for everything, no matter what I select or do.

Tried multiple times at different times of the day.
Content settings say 100mb Limit. Downloaded 0kb.

I'm not even getting 3.7kbs to prove that I have a connection and can download things. So no FCT for me till I get the thing to work.

In Content Manager (CM) when you try to download do you see any message at the bottom of the Window like "Server is full try again later" ?

Have you allowed permissions for Trainz through your firewall / AV Software ?

There IS documentation for TS12 and it resides in the Steam Folder on your computer.
Using Windows Explorer go to where you have Steam installed and then to Steamapps and then Common.
Once there you will see the folder TS12 and if you open that and click on Extras you will find the manual in PDF format. Hopefully that may help
mike

Status bar says: Ready.
Briefly turns to: Searching for dependencies for <KUID....>
then logs: Failed to download asset '<kuid2:......>'

Firewall is already set to let Trainz Simulation 2012 through.
Not being blocked by AV either.

Everything looks to be fine, except it doesn't download.
Most frustrating.

Example:

Just tried to download the file: Autumn River Hills - Free Drive: DAY
KUID:335536:100001
Trainz 2012 uploaded yesterday with 77 dowmloads, so fresh and should be there and active.
Get Failed to Downlaod Asset for all the bits.
Not one item successfuly downloaded.

Maybe his problem might be that he need to be in C:\program(x86)
This is not the case at all, you can install Trainz where ever without affecting functionality. In fact it is generally better to install anywhere except c:\program files in order to avoid issues with permissions.

Stuntie, have you tried the download by ftp option from the online download station? To do this click on "Download Details" next to the asset of your choice then on "Download FTP". This provides a direct file download outside of content manager.

I'm also wondering if the same permissions issue that affected another user recently has also affected the original poster.

Stuntie - If you can, raise a ticket with N3V's Helpdesk and get them to check your account permissions for the Download Station.

Shane

Will I know that I had the same problem when TS12 was not in the (X86) folder and after installing it there everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the Advice.
Will raise a ticket.

I don't install into Prog files folders due to the problems many games have with running in there.
Also limited to where steam puts it so can't reinstall to prog files.

Back