How do we contact, via PM using the forum, a specific member ?

Rail4Pete

QCR Route builder
Hi, I would like, sometimes to contact a specific member that has not been active for awhile. Before, in the old forum, we had the member list in the choices at top of page, but I don't find it anymore. Typing the member name in the search box does not always work as it brings me to his name written in a post but it does not necessarily bring me to his contact....so how do we do this now ?

Thanks !
Rail4Pete

You can use the search function to look for the authors name, or you can send a PM by going to your PM Inbox and pressing Send New Message in the column on the left hand side. Have to know the users exact name though.

Good Luck,
Falcus

Thanks....but, I want to know for example, when username ''drstrach'' was active last time ? To know that, I have to get to his profile..... but how do I get to his profile ?
Rail4Pete

Rail4Pete, more generally, click the "MyTrainz" button at the top of the forum page, which will bring up your dashboard. Locate the "community" label at the bottom of the navigation panel, at the far left of the page, and click on "search". Enter the user name in the appropriate box on the search page, and it will bring up the profile of the user. This latter method works even for users who have never posted to the forum.

I find it to be the case often that a user tends to try to keep the same user ID on a new platform. So doing a search on a user name for a user who is no longer active in Trainz will sometimes find the same user in a more recent game. In the case of "drstrach", an internet search revealed that there is a user by this user ID who is from Poland, and is currently active in "War Thunder".

ns

Last edited:
Rail4Pete, more generally, click the "MyTrainz" button at the top of the forum page, which will bring up your dashboard. Locate the "community" label at the bottom of the navigation panel, at the far left of the page, and click on "search". Enter the user name in the appropriate box on the search page, and it will bring up the profile of the user. This latter method works even for users who have never posted to the forum.

I find it to be the case often that a user tends to try to keep the same user ID on a new platform. So doing a search on a user name for a user who is no longer active in Trainz will sometimes find the same user in a more recent game. In the case of "drstrach", an internet search revealed that there is a user by this user ID who is from Poland, and is currently active in "War Thunder".

ns

Thank you for this, this will help ! But I'm wondering, if from here (my trainz/community/search/profile) if we can get to the other profile to be able to send a PM.

I took the example of drstach...that was very easy to get to his profile using the ''search'' box because he started a thread and we quickly see his name. But when a user have not started any thread like robertoconti19....trying to find his profile to be able to send him a personnal message is much more complicated if you do not want to spend 1 hour reading all post to get to one made by him.... and this, if he made one post because he could only be cited in a post by other members but not have been participant.

This was the purpose of this thread: Is there a short way to get to the profile of a non participant (maybe only viewer) username (like robertoconti19) if I want to send him a PM via this forum?
Rail4Pete

Last edited:
Rail4Pete, if you look at the top of the forum pages, there is the row of buttons which are labeled, "articles", "forum", "blogs",..., and below that, specifically below forums, is a button labeled "private messages". Click on that button, and you get a page for private messages. To send a PM to a user who has not started a thread, or made a reply, from the "private messages" page, select "send new message" in the pane labeled "My messages". A "send new messages" page opens, and you can type or cut and paste the desired user's name into the "recipient users" panel.

ns

You could also add them to your Itrainz Chat in-game to see if they ever log on, but if they're that far gone I wouldn't hold my breath.

Falcus

Rail4Pete, if you look at the top of the forum pages, there is the row of buttons which are labeled, "articles", "forum", "blogs",..., and below that, specifically below forums, is a button labeled "private messages". Click on that button, and you get a page for private messages. To send a PM to a user who has not started a thread, or made a reply, from the "private messages" page, select "send new message" in the pane labeled "My messages". A "send new messages" page opens, and you can type or cut and paste the desired user's name into the "recipient users" panel.

ns
You really got it ! How can I have missed that ...to obvious maybe ? Thank you very much !
Rail4Pete

Back