How do I do this...?

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
1. Go to the first unread post when I enter the forum? There doesn't appear to be a way to do so EXCEPT by loading all unread posts, which I never so as I get way too many posts I have no interest in. At the far right, there is a link to the LAST post, but no way to see the intervening posts I haven't read yet.

2. Mark a particular thread as "read." The only way I can see is to use the button at the top-right of the first page of the thread and mark the thread as read. This does not help when you're at the very top (category) level and searching for threads to view as those thread markers are still in bold typeface. (Does this make sense?)

3. PM anyone?

4. See where a particular member is from? Right now, hovering the mouse over the name brings up a huge pop-up of data. I liked the old method where it was on the right side of the post.

5. Know what versions a given user owns?

If any of these are to be added "soon" (tm), then I will wait and see.

Bill

1. I don't know the answer to this on.
2. You might have a little check box next to the the "Replies" column; (mine says "select for moderation" if I hover over it) which if I select I can then hit "Mark Read" at the top of the thread table.
3. PMs are now called "Discussions"
4. You can't easily anymore; not sure that was a highly used feature anyways (I never used it)
5. It's a missing thing. I know they're still working on adding & tweaking the new forum, so we might get that feature back.

I guess the best thing is to wait and bear it until things even out. It would have been nice to get some kind of warning before this happened though. Even a short poll offered to members might have been a aid to them in their decision.

Bill

If it makes you feel better:
Even moderators were not informed about this whole forum change. I was surprised about the forum being down; every other maintenance has been announced well before they happened.

I do hope there will be some sort of explanation forthcoming later. Maybe a server farm breakdown moved up a timetable for change. Whatever. It's done now.

Bill

1. Go to the first unread post when I enter the forum? There doesn't appear to be a way to do so EXCEPT by loading all unread posts, which I never so as I get way too many posts I have no interest in. At the far right, there is a link to the LAST post, but no way to see the intervening posts I haven't read yet.

Bill
G'day Bill, I was also a bit confused when I finally found out the forums were back in action. I notice though that when you click on the link to a thread, it will take you to the last unread once you have visited the thread. If you hover over a link it will have unread at the end of the link.

Hope this makes sense.

P.S. Liking the new forum software, would have been nice to have been given a heads up about the change though. Not everybody is on discord and not likely to be either.

This is not RJ Artim that's me. What do you want? Come to Beaver?

RJ Artim

Last edited:
Back