GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Who says you can't do anything in sketchup :p
4cbd38b4c518059d611cbb38e9d73f9a.jpg

And how many textures and polys did it take to make such a simple object. No one said Sketchup couldn't do anything, just that it's a very inefficient program. After spending all the time to make something complex, you have to spend even more time going over the object, slimming the result and reducing the textures down to something more reasonable.
Instead, use a proper 3D editor and spend all that time creating.

4733 edges, 2540 faces, and by my count 6 small size textures. Also, there is absolutely nothing simple about making an aircraft or the aircraft itself, and it doesn't matter what program you use to do it. If I wanted fewer polys, I could probably drop it close to the 2000 mark by going back inside the aircraft and cleaning up the artifacts left over from creating the aircraft. Also, from start to finish, 5 days to make this, add a few hours if I decide to go back and do poly reduction, which I don't think it really needs (there are certainly massive higher poly counts in trainz).

I always start my models in Sketchup because its easier for me to get the dimentions right (but I only get as far as making, say a box if I'm making a loco, with the right dimentions.
Then over to Blender for cleaning (yes, even that box has double vertices and triangulated faces :eek: when exported from sketchup) and textures.

A friend of mine made a wagon in Sketchup, amazing model, no idea how he did it in Sketchup, gave it to me for cleaning in Blender and from ~29.000 polys in Sketchup its now around 4.000 in Blender.

Here's a pic:
f7f98abc05b5908196cf3124dc6a12d7.png

64x64 px textures add the effect of 2k polys? It's just a plain color texture.

I am against Sketchup, but don't mean to come off as personally offensive. But the fact that it's just solid color adds more insult to injury, in this case. The way I see it, each texture is another file that needs to be called from the game, and the way the directory/data/details or whatever is received by the game adds more penalty, it's not just about the content of the texture file. This is all figure-work from what people have been saying, it's better to have a single large texture file than multiple smaller ones.

Maybe if you port it over to Blender, clean up a mass of vertices, and combine all those 64x64's into one bigger 256x256, and map the faces to that texture, it'll be OK.

TRAINZ HANK!!!!

Here's a final render of my engine along with a test 3D face I did up for Hank:

b4f60f1fbd030b47f14e8db123b1c7c8.png
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! Someone finally made a trainz hank that is really realistic to the model in the show!!! When will it be released because I love it!!! I hope it won't be private. Does it have changeable faces?

My first contribution to this thread. It still needs a lot of work, but I'm starting off small and then working my way up.

8D5zeGoh.png

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! Someone finally made a trainz hank that is really realistic to the model in the show!!! When will it be released because I love it!!! I hope it won't be private. Does it have changeable faces?

Seriously ? You're just another of these gimme pigs. Let James work on his model.

With how ppl have been treating James over the past few mouths hes mostly not relessing it and I'm getting tired of the bad attitude twords hem, and bleave me its been nasty ppl have been treating hem like ****.

Back