GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Just a screen of my converted covered hopper that I am making for the Mayburry. It is still a WIP though.
01590a8551e4f1e75f37fd2f39861033.jpg

hmm.looking at that car that is still in the works,I'd say that looks as if it goes back into the steam era,but that is impressive work you have there,keep going!;)

440win.jpg

It's making progress...

And I'll say it again, not for Trainz. Maybe could use it for bump maps or something, but we'll see. I've decided it will become a camelback.

Sorry, but my stuff is forced to be for 09. (Though I might be able to ship it to Dylan for the 06 side of things.)

As for your Camelback, you are not making it for trainz... so what are you making it for. I wants me a camelback, lol

Edit: Wait, is that a new Fairbanks Morse locomotive in the works that I see. I like.

Last edited:
How the crap did you even get that many polys into those?? That can be made under 500 polys easily.

Our friend Bill is making this, trucks on this are only like 6k.

Let's do some counting: 4 wheels of 240 triangles each is 960 triangles and the bogie sides are at least 250 triangles each, which leaves us with 1500 and that is not a difficult number to reach when modelling a truck/bogie in some detail.

Futhermore if our friend Bill works in 3DS Max he is probably aware of the polycount shown by hitting the "7" key represents the number of 3DS polys which is (often chockingly) different from the number of 3D triangles.

6K for a great looking truck like that sounds somewhat optimistic judging by the number of chamfers visible, eight very smooth looking brake cylinders, the wheels and God knows how many rods, bolts and holes.

Anyway; the point is remember to count triangles when supplying a polycount - personally I don't care about the size of the count as long as it is correct.

My latest Swiss electro locomotive (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=527389&postcount=2353) has bogies of 16.5k triangles a piece, but that is normal when you want to build something that looks prototypical including most of the larger bells and whistles.

So if our friend Bill reaches 20k triangles it is just the way things are and I am sure there are lots of trainzers who are quite pleased to run the locomotive none the less. (Me for instance)

But again remember: all triangles are polys, but not all polys are triangles.

I don't know how I could reduce it, I can't really remove anything else as I got almost everything that isn't visible.

As for the camelback, it's just for renders and stuff, though if I can figure it out maybe I'll do bump maps for a Trainz version.

truckwin.jpg

I figured while I was at LOD, I'd go ahead and do 3D springs. Now before you yell at me about this raising poly count a ton, it really doesn't compared to what you'd think. The springs are less than the overall polys of the truck. As to how it will work in LOD: close version is this, medium basically has no springs, and far has simplified wheels and sideframes and such.

G'day Simulatortrain,

I know you're trying to save on the polygon count but I really do think you will find that the 'frame' of the bogie actually 'surrounds' the wheel journal box on three sides (the centre of the bogie, the top and on the outside of the 'box'). This allows the journal box to move up and down with the confines of the hole created by the three 'sides'. Your model here, clearly has a problem if the bogie were to move in either direction...

...without anything to stop them, the journal boxes of the trailing wheel-set (in whichever direction one travels), will simply "fall away" from the bogie, causing an instant derailment (if your 'construction' were a 'real life' engineering concept). It 'just don't look right'...

Jerker {:)}

Back