Found a migration from TRS2019 to TRS2022 process...

pdkoester

DoubleYouPea & Espee fan!
Hello to all,

I just bit the bullet, a lot of content and desired DLS items are using TRS2022 level and not backward compatible, so I purchased TRS2022PE.
I used Copilot search on how to migrate from 2019 to 2022.
Copy your complete TRS19 user data folder to another location.
Call the folder TRS22 DATA, or whatever you want.
Start-up TRS22 and point to the TRS22 DATA folder.
It'll do a DBR, and you'll have everything.
You will need to do some Content Store updates to ensure you have all the latest updates.

This worked too easily to not be shared.

Paul

Last edited:
In 2019 note the path in the Trainz settings/install. This is the location of the data for 2019. Copy the build folder and paste it into a new location (rename it). Now open 2022, look for its path, redirect the path to the relocated build folder location, and do a DBR. All 2019 assets should now be in 2022.

You only need to copy the following folders from TRS19 user data folder and paste them into TRS22 user data folder.

Local
Original
Packages

If however, you build routes and create sessions

Make a back up of, these folders

Backups
Editing 'If anything is inside this folder'

-----------------
The issue is sharing user data directly from TRS19 with TRS22. Is that, if you look inside both user data folders! You will see files and folders that I WOULD NOT recommend sharing with TRS22 such as

Cache
Libraries
Files with a .TDX extension
Crashdump.dmp is a BIG no, no to share with TRS22 especially if you have had crashing in the past that relates to TRS19.. You are migrating errors over, is what I'm trying to say.

Fair enough, yes the game is going to work blah, blah, blah! But in the end you will have issues.. Also never ever share the Libraries folder.. Makes sense why people are complaining about faulty assets because you are corrupting TRS22 with old Libraries from TRS19..

That's just how I see it!! Just my opinion..

Do not forget that Trainz 2022 saves a lot of space on the files installed on the hard disk, as long as they are downloaded from the DLS or from third party websites via CDP files.
An example: I have searched in my Trainz 2019 a very large object, a library of meshes and textures of 703MB in folder format.
In Trainz 2019 in tzarc format : 882MB
I import it to trainz 2022 through a CDP or in folder format, I look for its tzarc file, and it has 209MB .
The final size may vary depending on the objects and their contents, the more texture or image files the more I save in size.

Do not forget that Trainz 2022 saves a lot of space on the files installed on the hard disk, as long as they are downloaded from the DLS or from third party websites via CDP files.
An example: I have searched in my Trainz 2019 a very large object, a library of meshes and textures of 703MB in folder format.
In Trainz 2019 in tzarc format : 882MB
I import it to trainz 2022 through a CDP or in folder format, I look for its tzarc file, and it has 209MB .
The final size may vary depending on the objects and their contents, the more texture or image files the more I save in size.

Local and Original files is all you need regarding everything that you've downloaded from the DLS
Packages is all your payware content

If you copy and paste your original and local folders of Trainz 2019 in 2022, maybe it will work, but as I said you will not get to save space on your hard drive which is the new feature of Trainz 2022, but this is only achieved if you download from the DLS or install CDPs from Trainz webs or you have saved.
I have done the test with in object installed in 2019 in tzarc format of 882MB located in the local / hash-9F folder, I copy and paste it into the local / hash-9F folder of Trainz 2022. I rebuild the database, open the content organizer and the new installed object appears, then I look in the local / hash-9F folder of Trainz 2022 and there is the object in tzarc format but the same size as in Trainz 2019: 882MB.
Conclusion: if you copy and paste from 2019 to 2022 you will not get a considerable saving of space on your hard drive, this is not important if you have very little content installed or a large hard drive very empty.

All folders in the build folder will get updated when you use a newer version of Trainz. The TRS19 library folder when moved will update to the TRS22 library folder. On launching Trainz the data folder checks with the program for all the default settings. My library in TRS19 was dated 2020 but now shows 2024 in TRS22. This is the same folder moved from 19. Trainz updates only update the program and not the build folder.
The library folder is in the resources folder of the installed program and can not be altered. The data folder copies that folder for the game to read.

Last edited:
I've used the method outlined by the OP since T:ANE. It's easy and it works 100% of the time. Copy the data folder to a new location and rename the folder to something else. Connect the freshly minted TRS22xxx/Plus to the freshly planted data folder and let it run a DBR. This method is also perfect for setting up beta and other test copies, and what's nice about it is the data-folder doesn't have to be in the C:/users/___/app data location where there is usually not a lot of disk space due to being located on the boot drive.

I use the same data-folder copy for backups. It may seem redundant to have the Content Store data in the backups but when restoring the content from a backup, having everything makes for a much easier setup, besides, downloading via the Content Store is dreadfully slow.

As always, go into Content Manager and view errors and warnings and perform any content updates as necessary.

Another note, which might help with some folks trying to decide on buying a newer version, the performance in TRS2022 is way better than the previous versions I had been using. I don't see a reason to have both versions installed. I removed TRS2019, because I am pleased with the performance and visual improvement of TRS2022. I am running this on an i7 4790K and GTX 1080 w/ 32GB of RAM on a Samsung 850 SSD.

I have always done it that way ;)
I know it works and it's easier than redownloading thousands of assets from the DLS or CDP files that we have saved.
But if we have a lot of content (hundreds of GB) we will not be able to save space on the hard drive, which according to my experience can save 30 to 50%, which we can use for more content or other Applications.

I know it works and it's easier than redownloading thousands of assets from the DLS or CDP files that we have saved.
But if we have a lot of content (hundreds of GB) we will not be able to save space on the hard drive, which according to my experience can save 30 to 50%, which we can use for more content or other Applications.
I use WinRAR to backup with the 'Best' compression method. I keep a previous backup of

Local
Original
Packages

I don't really build routes, so I don't really need to backup Editing and Backups folders. Even though, I have released some route modules on the DLS for others to complete. Only one of them is to get a route to merge, to complete a missing link..

Trainz for me hasn't yet used too much hard drive space, TSC has a lot. But I still have a fairly good amount of hard drive space available.

How much does it cost to upgrade from TR2019 to TR2022PE?
Well, it all depends! Check and compare prices between the Trainz Store and Steam

Note: click where it says 'Ready to buy Trainz? Then click that orange button 'View Purchase Options'
scroll down the page 'Buy TRS22 Platinum' click on this button to add to TRS22 PE to chart.

Having a Drive that is Dedicated to Trainz and Nothing Else But Trainz and its Download Content that is kept away from other programs including the Operating system saves you in the long run and it has saved me heaps of space on other drives that the computer needs to run... my Trainz drive right now has over 200GB of Data that includes DLC and the game and the Drive is a 1TB Hard drive so i have Ample space to run and play the game like it should be played!

Back