Forum/entire site extremely slow

Last evening, I got a representative from my ISP (AT&T) and while he was on the line we ran some checks against known sites. Apparently, they have some sites that they know will give a very close reading every time they access them. In my case, ALL the responses from the ten sites were a bit on the low side but still well within acceptable - to them as well as me - ranges.

For grins, I asked them to time my access to the N3V forum. To cut a story short, they found that over five pages of forum, I was was actually disconnected seven times, had delays of up to 160Ms on most of them, and a lot of data arrived over multiple (but slow) paths and had to wait for the packets to be assembled. I was unaware of that last aspect.

Before we hung up, I was assured that they would try and find out what all the delay was about. I also found out that I wasn't the only one who was complaining about sites hosted on 'The Planet' so the whole thing may be a combination of bad paths between them and me as well as slow servers on their side. Whatever the case, my access to this forum is flawed and until something is done I probably won't be here a lot because it is just two painful to sit and wait for pages to appear.

Bill

EDIT: It does seem to be a lot faster today, but it is early in the morning here. Let me try again this evening when everyone gets home from work.

What continues to trouble me is the fact that the response from the server after a quick reply frequently times out, to the point where the page attempts to resend the request and then tries to navigate the user away from the page in its struggle to reestablish the connection. Any fixes from the vBulletin group?

What continues to trouble me is the fact that the response from the server after a quick reply frequently times out, to the point where the page attempts to resend the request and then tries to navigate the user away from the page in its struggle to reestablish the connection. Any fixes from the vBulletin group?

I've been working on a Greasemonkey user Javascript to just automatically punch the "Leave page" button when that popup shows. So far, I haven't had any success. I probably haven't found the right flag to return Null on.

Bill

A recent vBulletin report indicated that there was a potential exploit vector in flood protection. Once the cause of the issue was isolated, code changes were made to eliminate the reported threat.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/portal.php on 6th June, may possibly be relevant?

Last edited:
That's what I found also.

EDIT POST: Forum access seems to be OK, however posting replies still quite slow at about 25-30 seconds.

Last edited:
Well, here we are again. Access times are around 35 to 50 seconds per page. Whomever kicked the servers didn't do it near hard enough.

Bill

EDIT: 64 seconds (and a click on that dam 'leave page' button) to post this.

Last edited:
This forum used to work so well but now its really bad needs a huge update I feel I will not come often anymore its boring waiting it took 2 minutes to load this thread!:(

Right this very moment, it is taking around 10 seconds for a page to appear, but posting is much longer.

Bill

Check the number of people online and logged in, it's probably way below the recent amounts when we get lag.

I'm generally a patient man N3V; but your pushin' it.
FIX the dam thing!

For all we know, N3V may be on the horn with The Planet every hour on the hour - nagging them to death. BUT, having said that, until someone official comes on here and tells us what they are doing, all we can do is keep nipping at their heels.

Bill

What: "To Do" when the forum is slow loading:

Run the "Forum" Windowed ... and run Trainz windowed (via Trainzoptions, and running Trainz in the next size lower, screen size, than your monitor's native resolution via "Options/Display")

Or double task-Run Trainz CM (windowed), and download from the DLS, or from 3rd Party sites, or run Trainz, or create in Surveyor (windowed).

Run all ... Google Earth ... Trainz ... and the forum, all windowed (tripple tasking, three things to a screen) !

Scroll up and down the "not yet loaded forum page", looking for other interesting threads, making a mental note of what threads to come back to.

Walk the Dawg, pet the Kat, feed the Budgie, do the dish's, make toast & Cawfee, Vaccuumm the Kat & Dawg (do NOT vaccuumm the Budgie: Zoooook), watch a YouTube Trainz video, listen to a RR Sound Effects CD (by Big Train Sound sound effects http://www.rebelrails2.com/store/images/products/thumb_15_thumb_category_BigTrainSound.jpg).

Last edited:
Just checking. Still goofed up. 20-35 second delays are the norm.

Bill

EDIT: 50-second "quick" reply (and that asinine "leave Page" baloney). I have since found that this 'leave page' thingy is coming from the SITE, not my browser. N3V, you need to get rid of it - or speed up the forum (which would be much better).

Last edited:
Bump. Getting slightly better, but still finding 12 to 50 second delays in doing various things around the forum. Most delays are in the posting button areas -- especially that VERY annoying 'leave this page' question which assures that you won't be able to navigate away from the page while you wait until you manually click the right response. Pretty poor programming, N3V.

Bill

Back