DVD Sets

bendorsey

Bridge-n-trestle builder
Hi Folks:

A few years ago I bought the model railroader 75-year collection DVD set and also the DVD set by Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette (both well worth the $$$).

I was wondering if any of you who also bought one or both have heard anything about either being updated.

To my way of thinking a DVD or digital download every 5 years to update the initial set would be a welcome item. I'd certainly purchase both. I've looked through the Model RR Magazine and Kalmbach Publishing Company sites but don't see anything. Anyone seen or heard anything?

Note: On page 25 of the March, 2017 issue of MR Magazine they advertise something called a digital archive but it doesn't say exactly what it is (or how much it costs).

Thanks,

Ben

Yeah - or so expensive they are terrified to tell you the price.:hehe:

Doesn't really give a clue as exactly what it is other then its digital and timed to come out for the 1000th anniversary issue (which is the next issue). It might be an updated version of the 75-year set but I can't see buying the whole shebang a second time just to get the last 4 or 5 years worth. Doesn't mention "DVD" at all. It might even just be a link to the data on the MR site but don't they already have something like that?

Ben

From what I can tell on their website, Kalmbach no longer offers the DVD sets and has gone to digital media. Many of the 101 layouts and those from other books are available for sale in individual downloads, though not expensive, will add up to a nice revenue stream for them much like the DLC we have here.

Hope your wrong but I strongly suspect your not.

So they came out with a great idea (a good revenue producer), failed to follow it up with upgrades (more revenue), and dropped it completely (lost revenue). Sometimes I don't think those folks have all their spikes in the right ties:hehe:.

Thanks for the info,

Ben

Hope your wrong but I strongly suspect your not.

So they came out with a great idea (a good revenue producer), failed to follow it up with upgrades (more revenue), and dropped it completely (lost revenue). Sometimes I don't think those folks have all their spikes in the right ties:hehe:.

Thanks for the info,

Ben

That's a spot on way to put it!

Sadly many publishers today are trying to find there way in the digital world and are stumbling all over themselves as they try to find their way in the new paperless world.

One of the more successful companies in our hobby that is digital is Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

Even though they are real model railroad oriented, they are virtual railroading friendly and I've contributed of course to their forums on occasion. Their magazine also offers some great ideas too which can extend to the VR world we model in and there are layout plans in there as well. The magazine is free and is available monthly via a PDF download.

Back