CM 3.2 error?

george2010

G'day,
Each time I try to commit an item after editing it in explorer, i get the following errors: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:xxxxxxx> due to database access error.
I am obviously missing something ... any suggestions?
George.

Probably this is because the item you have edited is still selected ie 'open' in Windows. Close the editing window.

Peter

No ... everything is closed ... even rebooted the PC and opened up CM and did a commit ... still get the error ... now doing a database repair, see if that helps.

No ... everything is closed ... even rebooted the PC and opened up CM and did a commit ... still get the error ... now doing a database repair, see if that helps.

George,

You might need to run a database repair. Open File on the menu. Choose Quick Repair, and hit okay. The quick is not so quick, but faster than the extended repair.

Let it run and go off and do something else. When it's done, it will give you a close button to click. After that, try committing those items again.

John

Still no luck ...

Tried the short and the long version of the database repair and just installed the latest patch for 2010 so am now using CM 3.3 but still no luck ...

Perhaps am doing something wrong. These are the steps I followed:

From missing dependencies I right click and press Edit in Explorer and change the config file in Notepad. Save as the file and then press Commit ... and get the error message.

One question, how would you remove the item from Open for Edit tab? Would it disappear by itself after being committed?

George.

From missing dependencies I right click and press Edit in Explorer and change the config file in Notepad. Save as the file and then press Commit ... and get the error message.

One question, how would you remove the item from Open for Edit tab? Would it disappear by itself after being committed?

George.
I don't understand the first sentence. Why did you go to Edit in Explorer after looking at missing dependencies? What change did you make in the config.txt file?

Any file that's open for edit will show up in the Open for Edit tab but will disappear from that listing if you commit them.

Bob

Open the faulty objects in editor and check the config.txt file. Sometime the config.txt file goes wrong and cannot be open anymore. Sometime such objects' config become config.chunp. This means, the object's config file ist corrupted and need to be replaced.
Sometime you need to go to edit, copy the complete object's folder, delete it from the content manager and renstall from the copy.

G'day,
Each time I try to commit an item after editing it in explorer, i get the following errors: Failed to commit changes to asset <kuid:xxxxxxx> due to database access error.
I am obviously missing something ... any suggestions?
George.

It's a bug in CM, it happens often, SP3 reduced the amount of times it happens, but it still happens.

If you have an anti-virus turned on, it can *sometimes* increase the chances of it happening, read your anti-virus manual and find out how to add an exclusion for the TS2010 directory (if you're paranoid, just exclude the builtin, cache, and userdata directories).

But that still won't get rid of it 100%, and the only thing you can do is to go to the 'open for edit' list and choose to commit the asset - unless you're really unlucky, it should commit just fine on the 2nd attempt, if not just keep trying.

It's a bug in CM, it happens often, SP3 reduced the amount of times it happens, but it still happens.

I'm not sure that is correct, I have been using CM in all the versions up to the current TS2010 SP3 and have never had that problem. There has to be some other reason for it happening rather than a program bug.

Don't forget you also have CTRL-M as well as the menu choices.

Peter

Database access error ...

Switched off the virus protection as that sounded like a plausible reason for the database access error but unfortunately that did not help either ... it seems any file which I open for editing, I cannot commit ...

Back