Class 378 Capitalstar & London Overground Line

SnakeLight64

apcell.co.uk
Hi all,

Has anyone made this train? I'm going to attempt and make the London Overground Line but not exactly the same...

Also could someone help me in looking for some bits that would go with the LO line.

And how could I make my own track?

More questions will come along but thats all i can think of now... hehe

Cheers,
Snake

Can anyone care to help me in making the BR Class 378 Capitalstar or make it?

Also what software is the best/easiest to use? For making tracks?

Welcome to Trainz.

First thing's first, you need to slow down a bit. The Trainz learning curve can be a steep one and you're best to take it a little at a time.

As far as I know, nobody has made a 378 to date and I don't know if anyone is doing any LO stock. Creating an asset such as an item of rolling stock takes a great deal of time. You could be talking many months to do just one carriage and bear in mind, most content creators do this for no form of reward other than their love of the sim and all things railway related.

Your best plan is to search the DLS for content already made. There are many thousands of items there you can download and use if you don't already have something built in. It takes ages just to trawl what comes with Trainz so it could be you already have many items you would like.

I've been messing with Trainz for a few years and have yet to make the leap into content creation. It's a matter of time rather than anything else. The alternative to content creation is reskinning existing stock. This involves, in essence, repainting carriages to suit your own needs. While not always prototypical, it can often fill a gap until something better may or may not come along.

Using a free image manipulation program like GIMP or paint.NET, you can create your own liveries. Just beware you don't make such items available publicly unless you have permission from the original creator.

There is a basic tutorial on reskinning here http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Basic_Reskinning_for_beginners which may give you a taste for reskinning.

Take a look at the UK Screenshots http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=315&page=670 and you'll get an idea just what can be done with existing assets Isome items you will see are custom created).

Hope this is of some help and you enjoy Trainz as much as I do.

PFX.

PS, it's just possible I may be able to do a LO liveried EMU but it wouldn't be a 378. I need to make a few enquiries first. Leave it with me and I'll post again here if I can do it.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks :)

I know how long it takes to make these trains, I really love the fact that people put time and effort into it and release these for free!

Ah thats a shame it would go well with the route I'm making. At the mo, I'm using the BR Class 313 as my main line train for now un-till i find something better or the 378. Is there a 4-car train which has both 3rd rail and overhead wire support? Like the 313s?

And thanks mate, I really appreciate it :)

EDIT: Just looking at the picture i have of the 378, that looks like it will take ages to do that. lol

Is there a 4-car train which has both 3rd rail and overhead wire support? Like the 313s?

The only one I know of is the Railwaves 357/377 but that's payware so if you bought, then reskinned it, you wouldn't be able to upload it.

You could always try putting the bogies of a DC EMU on an AC EMU. Saying that, I'm not sure how interchangeable bogies can be. It would depend on the chassis and bogie height being similar, if not the same. Perhaps someone with a bit more expertise in that regard could answer the question.

PFX.

The only one I know of is the Railwaves 357/377 but that's payware so if you bought, then reskinned it, you wouldn't be able to upload it.

You could always try putting the bogies of a DC EMU on an AC EMU. Saying that, I'm not sure how interchangeable bogies can be. It would depend on the chassis and bogie height being similar, if not the same. Perhaps someone with a bit more expertise in that regard could answer the question.

PFX.

Ah, Its ok i'm using the 313 as a 4-car (Like the 315) I've also go the 477 from Wessex_Electric_Nutter but I'm missing a file, I can't find it anywhere... I've tried asking him but no luck from any contact back... Do you know where to get this file?
Unknown Location: <kuid:30051:50012>

Also do you happen to know how I could make a station? Or is there any new kind of stations out on DSL? I've been looking but can't find the type i want lol

Cheers,
Snake

Last edited:
The stations I use are here http://ajsmith.org.uk/trs. I find them the most versatile but that doesn't mean they're the best. There's a tutorial on his site there.

If you conacted WEN by PM, you probably won't hear from him for a while. A lot of people don't log on every day or even every week so you need a little patience at times.

After hunting around for a long while, I think I've found what you're missing there. That KUID and 30051:1204 both seem to relate to the bogies. As far as I can tell from WEN's site, you need to scroll down this page http://wessexelectricnut.co.uk/inde...&id=65:class-477-downloads&catid=37&Itemid=74 and click on the bogies link in the 'Needed' section just below the liveries.

Hopefully that should sort it out. Saying that, I've just downloaded them and can only get a couple of units to show.

Cheers.
PFX

Edit: Here's something I knocked up in about 15 minutes. It's rough as, but shows what could be done. I haven't done anything with the doors, just the sides as an example. To allay the fear of any of the original creators, this will not be going any further.

pfx_20110118_0000.jpg

Last edited:
I like that repaint you have done... What software did you use? I might do that myself...

I've downloaded all that was in the needed section and still no luck, i can't see the a few of them I can only see a few units myself. the other ones are in red.. :(

I contacted him like a week ago ( or less.. ) I hope he reads this topic.. lol

I've had a look on that site and i like a few of them, thanks for the link :)

Cheers,
Snake

EDIT: I just found a guy who is making it.. well who said that he is... http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=59940
EDIT 2: Nevermind I found how to do it.. You said how to up there lol My mistake. lol:eek: (Editing the skin)

Last edited:
Yeah I know, but worth the thought... lol

Back to reskinning..

Could you help me with it? I looked at the tutorial but with the 313 it's different. Could you send me the one you done in that picture and then i'll take it from there? or could you tell me which file it is to do the body? Is it 315_nse.tga ?

EDIT: Also how could I edit the bogies in gmax?

I may TRY and make the Class 378... Would you care to help me? I've looked at some pictures and I'm going to start off with the Bogies....

To owners:
I'm not releasing anything I'm making now.. I'm only playing about and getting my skills better..

Last edited:
Could you help me with it? I looked at the tutorial but with the 313 it's different. Could you send me the one you done in that picture and then i'll take it from there? or could you tell me which file it is to do the body? Is it 315_nse.tga ?

EDIT: Also how could I edit the bogies in gmax?

You have the correct file to change yes. You won't be able to make a great deal of change to it as the one tga is used for both sides so you can't but any text on it. Can't send you mine as that would be constitute distribution so apologies.

I haven't got to grips with GMAX so far so can't help you there.

Ah that's annoying, just would be good to use what you made. What if we ask the creator? Also would you happen to know how to open a train or something from trainz in gmax?

o well, i'll play around with it myself and see what I can do.
Would anyone else want to help me make this?

Also I'm going to make a 3rd rail track.
Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_psN1bGi0

The track thats at the stations...

Cheers,
Snake

Tell you what, I'll contact the original creator and see if I can get permission to upload a reskin of the 313/315 in LO livery. It will give me a break from other stuff I'm working on at the moment. Shouldn't take more than a week or two to do.

As I said, I have no idea how to do anything in GMAX so that's as good as I can offer.

There is 3rd rail track already available and also a 3rd rail spline which can be added to any track. Just a case of finding it. I think there might be some here www.vsr.org.uk/

Tell you what, I'll contact the original creator and see if I can get permission to upload a reskin of the 313/315 in LO livery. It will give me a break from other stuff I'm working on at the moment. Shouldn't take more than a week or two to do.

As I said, I have no idea how to do anything in GMAX so that's as good as I can offer.

There is 3rd rail track already available and also a 3rd rail spline which can be added to any track. Just a case of finding it. I think there might be some here www.vsr.org.uk/

:D Thanks mate :)

Okay mate I'll dig around and see what I can find... Cheers though.

I've got them ones. But there not what i want, This is the track I'm building ;)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Unit_378225_at_Haggerston.jpg

Cheers,
Snake

Hi there.

I've been busy and managed to reskin a four car set (DMSO, PTSO, TSO, DMSO) in white, blue and orange livery. I've even managed to get the logo onto the DMSO's.

I'll e-mail the necessary people tonight about getting this uploaded. Can I ask if I do get permission, do you want an ex-works version or one with some weathering?

Here's a wee pic.

Hi there.

I've been busy and managed to reskin a four car set (DMSO, PTSO, TSO, DMSO) in white, blue and orange livery. I've even managed to get the logo onto the DMSO's.

I'll e-mail the necessary people tonight about getting this uploaded. Can I ask if I do get permission, do you want an ex-works version or one with some weathering?

Here's a wee pic.

:udrool: I don't mind that one will do, New route, New train :D
Nice work mate! :D

Also, would you want to be in on the painting of the Class 378 once I've built it... I'm going to start building it this weekend, or sometime next week. I'm gonna start off doing some of the body and do the Bogies as well..

Thanks a bunch mate :D
Snake

Also, would you want to be in on the painting of the Class 378 once I've built it... I'm going to start building it this weekend, or sometime next week. I'm gonna start off doing some of the body and do the Bogies as well..

You'll have to wait and see if I get permission to upload it.

As for the 378, I don't expect you'll need to worry about painting it for many months yet unless you're a GMAX expert.

Hello

Hi guys,
Seeing as you guys are the only ones on here I joined in. You might like a Bombardier 172 for the LO. It is a Turbostar and only just gone into service.
Let me know what you think Uracco 2

Wow Uracco. That's got to be the best model i've ever seen on Trainz!!! Hehe.

Seriously though, are you currently building a 172? Personally, I don't have any great interest in LO but I'm sure others out there do. I hadn't even intended skinning the 313 but as I had a few bits done, it seemed a pity just to delete them so I have a 4 car set now sitting in a near ready state and I'll upload it if I can get the necessary permission.

Perhaps this thread will generate some more interest yet and an LO thing may take off. You never know.

PFX.

Thanks

Thanks mate i am working on it. Doors do not open yet (apart from cab door) and the base livery white has only just been applyed

Back