CityRail Project

seeseeme

Getting Older :)
Hi everyone,

For some of the newer members (and any one else :D )who do not know the history of this project here is a little story :p

Some years ago the idea of creating the entire Sydney Rail Network was started on the old forum. As time went on, this project "died" but eventual it was started again with many members thinking about the idea with renewed interest (this was just over 12 months ago). Also at the same time Roy (rjord1) started on his project currently called Cityrail 2007/2008 and more can be found here;

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=449&highlight=CityRail

When Roy (a very brave move for 1 person) started his project he also knew about the "other" thread and the original idea. The idea of creating the entire Sydney rail network (and more) is a massive project and Roy has decided to take on this project by himself. This thread is by no means meant to be a "competition" between Roy's efforts and any other project, nor to "put down" his great effort.

When the original thread was started again I became involved (as with many others) and over a period of time I collected Topographic maps of the Network from Newcastle down to Waterfall, and out to Lithgow in the Blue Mountains with exactly the same scale. I then merged these maps (some 500 of them) together and there was an offer by Jerker to create a DEM file from these maps. There are 3 merged maps, 1 of the Sydney area, 1 of the Newcastle to Sydney and 1 of the Blue Mountains. These 3 maps have then been "altered" to meet with Jerker's requirements to create the DEM files.

BTW, Jerker also created a DEM file for the area from Nowra (south of Sydney) to Waterfall which I have and another person was working on, I have not seen this area/layout on the download station though (unless I missed it, which is possible :D ).

I still have all of this work and I have been in contact with Jerker to see if his offer still stands, and luckily he is still will to help out. However before he starts on the DEM file (a lot of work for him) I am wondering how much interest there is in this Project.

The original idea with this DEM file was to break up the file into the various "lines" of Sydney and then for different people to complete/create those sections of the Network. For example, someone may like to do the East Hills line out to Campbelltown, someone may like to do the northern line, from Sydney to Hornsby (I think that's the limit), someone to do the Blue Mountains and etc. Once each person has finished their section then it could be uploaded to the Download Station and as other sections become available they could then be merge together.

So if there is enough interest in this idea, I can send my work to Jerker to create the DEM file and then I will break it up for various people and forward them on. Breaking up the file will be a lot a work as well requiring the deletion of many (if not hundreds) of baseboards.

I do not feel justified in asking Jerker to spend a lot of his time in creating this file (and apart from myself in breaking it up) without much interest from people willing to do the different sections. Also needed for this project may be many others willing to create specific content for the project such as the Harbour Bridge (we may be able to use some creations from Roy for this with his permission).

In addition to the current Sydney Network I have included in this file some areas that many years ago where planed for the network but "died" for one reason or another by the Government of the day. An example of this is when the Habour Bridge was built (now 75 years old a few days ago) there was the intention of creating a line to the northern beaches of Sydney (Brookvale etc). In fact I have seen photos of the tunnels that are still there today for this line. Another area I have included is the original idea of the Eastern Suburbs line, from the City to Bondi then around to other suburbs of Randwick, Kensington and Mascot. So there is a lot of "potential" lines for the network, both old and uncompleted by the Government and the current lines.

So any one interested in this idea could they please let me know. For myself I wish to do the line from Waterfall to the City and then the Eastern Suburbs line. Our Helpdesk mate of Alan Yeomans originally wanted to do the Richmond to the City line and spent some time on this before working for Auran.

Let me know what you think.

Craig
:):):)

i could do any thing you want just give me a notice
Many thanks and I will let you know, I am sure there are many people from all over the world who may be able to contribute to this project in some way. Just keep watching this thread.

Also, I have just email Roy (rjord1) to let him know of the re-secretion (spelling ?)of this project.

Craig

ok i know this doesnt matter but the things like trainz member then trainz spotter.ECT what does that mean and how u get

...snip...
Our Helpdesk mate of Alan Yeomans originally wanted to do the Richmond to the City line and spent some time on this before working for Auran.
...snip...
Craig

Richmond to Blacktown, i still have it and its v close to completion. Im still planning to have this merge with conny's Granville to Blackton layout, it will get finished one day.

If this project doesn't get back off the ground, considered offering roy a hand with his?

Richmond to Blacktown, i still have it and its v close to completion. Im still planning to have this merge with conny's Granville to Blackton layout, it will get finished one day.

If this project doesn't get back off the ground, considered offering roy a hand with his?
I have mentioned that in my email to Roy, so we may be able to help in various parts that a DEM file would be very handy - the Blue Mountains for example.

ok i know this doesnt matter but the things like trainz member then trainz spotter.ECT what does that mean and how u get

Not to sure what you mean butter, but there are many people who could help. For example I do not live in Sydney and nor do many others who may be interested. In some cases/areas we may need those living in Sydney to help us out with information such as photo's etc. Then others may be able to create these items for us.

All help is very much appreciated.

Craig

[
but there are many people who could help. For example I do not live in Sydney and nor do many others who may be interested. In some cases/areas we may need those living in Sydney to help us out with information such as photo's etc. Then others may be able to create these items for us.

is that just a nice way of sayin we dont need your help go do somthin eles if thats what you want its ok i got a couple of routes i need to finish..sniffle

[
but there are many people who could help. For example I do not live in Sydney and nor do many others who may be interested. In some cases/areas we may need those living in Sydney to help us out with information such as photo's etc. Then others may be able to create these items for us.

is that just a nice way of sayin we dont need your help go do somthin eles if thats what you want its ok i got a couple of routes i need to finish..sniffle
No way at all, I am sorry you did not understand what I meant. Any help is appreciated as this is a HUGE project. What I mean is that anyone not living in Sydney or have never been there (you may live in a another country and never been to Australia) there are many people who can provide details for others to work on the layout or create content for them.

For example, and I have just remembered this, I have detailed diagrams of all the Railway Station "yard" etc that I can forward to others to help them create part of the layout. So you do not actually need to live in Sydney nor have been to Sydney, there are many ways we can help with those willing to work on the project.

Craig

ok i will do some reseach and if you could send me some maps at slingojoe@aol.com that would help i will get started on this in about 3 days what kind of t
rain is this sub monrail sg what

do you really need my help because i can but u made it sound like you wanted me to get lost or somthin ive heard that before its ok sniffle sniffle
YES we do, any help is needed. As this is such a HUGE project though I need enough people willing to help to say so, then I can ask others for their help as well. See my post below.

No way at all, I am sorry you did not understand what I meant. Any help is appreciated as this is a HUGE project. What I mean is that anyone not living in Sydney or have never been there (you may live in a another country and never been to Australia) there are many people who can provide details for others to work on the layout or create content for them.

For example, and I have just remembered this, I have detailed diagrams of all the Railway Station "yard" etc that I can forward to others to help them create part of the layout. So you do not actually need to live in Sydney nor have been to Sydney, there are many ways we can help with those willing to work on the project.

Craig

This whole project may take a year to complete or more. Just to have the DEM file created and then for me to break it up for people to work on will take some time.

Craig

I will send you some links so that you can get an idea of what the area looks like, but it will be hard for anyone to start working on it until Jerker completes the DEM file and then I break this file up.

Many thanks for all your interest though butter :)

Last edited:
all i can do is make routes really im ok at that but thats it so when you ready for me ill be there im gona get a form started tonight so look for it and after a while well be goodbut why dont you just get every one started and as peeps come add them in put 2 or 3 peeps together and we work from there on diff parts like say you have 3 peeps together one says ill start the what ever and ill do 4 base bords the next dude says hell do 10 then the next guy says hell do 5 so now you got 19 baseboards together if you like my idea i can help you orginise it

all i can do is make routes really im ok at that but thats it so when you ready for me ill be there im gona get a form started tonight so look for it and after a while well be goodbut why dont you just get every one started and as peeps come add them in put 2 or 3 peeps together and we work from there on diff parts like say you have 3 peeps together one says ill start the what ever and ill do 4 base bords the next dude says hell do 10 then the next guy says hell do 5 so now you got 19 baseboards together if you like my idea i can help you orginise it
That's basically what we need, I am looking for some information so that you can see what is involved. I'll email you shortly.

Do you know what a DEM file is? If you not to sure I will give you an example so you can see what is involved.

Craig

CityRail project

Nice to see this project resurrected …..
A summary of my interests and work to date in the Sydney area follows.

1. I still have the south coast section as originally delivered which covers the area from Minnamurra through Kiama to Gerringong. This route is probably about 20% completed and I put it on the back burner in favor of other routes.

2. I also have a copy of the Blue Mountains area from Bell through Lithgow to Wallareawang which includes the Lithgow Zig Zag and the current main west line. (This route will merge with my Wolgan Valley Railway). The source of this is another route builder (Tom Tresseder ?) and I’m not sure of its current status as he hasn’t been heard from for a while.

3. Ive completed about 50% of the section from Milsons Point to St Leonards. This route was waiting for Stryker to build the Harbour Bridge and was also put aside when Roy started his Sydney mega-route. My lower north shore section includes the Lavender Bay yards and the long forgotten Northern Beaches line which runs from North Sydney to Brookvale.

These routes are all ‘stand alone’ at the moment but could be easily merged with other sections as they are all ‘true’ to topography detail (within the limitations of Surveyor).

My current projects are the Westcoast Wilderness Railway (Tasmania) about 30% complete -and finalising the first section of the Tumbarumba Branch (Wagga to somewhere near Tarcutta) about 95% complete. This will probably be my last effort in the Southlines suite of routes for a while.

I can kick off the abovementioned routes again if desired to fit in with the project.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Nice to see you again.

Many thanks for letting us know of your progress with the different layouts. Your help in making this project come to life again would be great. As I mentioned in my Topo map I have included many areas where there once where plans for a Railway such as your Northern Beach line. If Jerker creates the DEM file in its current form does not mean we need to use all the different parts, so your work can fit in nicely. I will leave it up to you to work out your layout "timetable" as this project will take time to even get to the DEM file and for me to break it up.

These sound interesting.

My current projects are the Westcoast Wilderness Railway (Tasmania) about 30% complete -and finalising the first section of the Tumbarumba Branch (Wagga to somewhere near Tarcutta) about 95% complete. This will probably be my last effort in the Southlines suite of routes for a while.

All the best,

Craig

Back on topic...

I also recall a redfern to milsons point layout (with city circle) that was made by another person but was never released, they sent me a copy, i'm pretty usre i still have that layout floating around here somewhere. Might be worth digging up and having another look at.

Can we keep any off-topic post's to pm's please.

Cheers.

Alan

Last edited:
Just thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone is interested in "attempting" any parts of it before I ask for Jerker's DEM file. Otherwise I will cancel this project and wait for Roy's (rjord1) long term effort http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=449 .

Back on topic...

I also recall a redfern to milsons point layout (with city circle) that was made by another person but was never released, they sent me a copy, i'm pretty usre i still have that layout floating around here somewhere. Might be worth digging up and having another look at.

Can we keep any off-topic post's to pm's please.

Cheers.

Alan

Alan, if you could find this layout please let me know, I am interested in ideas about another layout.

Many thanks,

Craig

Can't find a reply to my post at the moment, as I'm starting to feel sick, but is the project for TRS2004 or 06?

Also might be an idea to split it sections, especially for people on dial up.

Can't find a reply to my post at the moment, as I'm starting to feel sick, but is the project for TRS2004 or 06?

Also might be an idea to split it sections, especially for people on dial up.
If there are enough people interested in this project I will ask Jerker to make the DEM file for it. I will then break up the DEM to cover the various lines of the Sydney network and forward on to those interested. I expect some of these files to be quite large so once we proceed past the "go" and break up stage :p I will work out how best to forward them on.

I think this layout should be first created and uploaded for 2004, then if people want they can transfer them to 2006.

Craig

sad but i only have 06
so i cant do any thing but wait for them to come out then make them to 06 i think

Back