Can I Ask A Favour From Auran Please?

It may be possible but it is not the recommended approach. The supported process is to open the files for edit in the old version, drag nito 2009 and commit the content. This way the errors are identified and the content is correctly installed.

Of course most of the work is done for you in 2009 (except for TC2 & 3 content).

There was a perfectly valid reason for copying the 'ja files across in my case as you can't download items that were previous versions "built-in" content.

The big things that were missing as far as my route was concerned, were 1 Track Wood, 2 Track Wood (the absolute original Track from the first version of Trainz) and Lever Invisible (I just hate seeing a red lever by every turnout!)

I shall wait for TRS2009 Gold and, hopefully, my route will load okay and work in that! If it ends up a "Classic Route" then it might just encourage guys to convert to the new Trainz!

Still got all my hair! :D

Tony, bad move...

Where are we going to get TC3/TS2009 steam sounds from? I could it as, what, 0 of them available at the moment? Unless of course there is one included in 09 that I don't know about... This means making steam locomotives is completely useless for 09, untill someone can come up with some suitable steam sounds (unless Tony [trw1089] releases the TC3 sounds to the DLS) for 09... This really throws some of the best features of 09 out the door (yeah, they were TC3 features, but they still make 09 more favorable over the older versions)...

So what is it Tony? Do we have to just not bother with steam locomotives anymore? Or do we just continue with TS2004, since that seems to have everything we need in this case...

Sorry if this is a rant, very tired. :(

Zec

Correct, as things stand now in Beta 1 you can forget steam locos as there are no suitable engine specs or sounds included, and it's not possible to upload them to the DLS. The only way to do it is to copy the assets over from TC3, assuming you have it (which most people haven't, as they are waiting for TS2009). Nice one.

Paul

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a straight forward way for end-users to import content from TC3 to 09. To me now Trainz is the new steam physics, without it, it's nothing. I've pre-ordered 09 and I also own TC3, but I think the product should start to look towards stand-alone functionality. Seriously, license the important steam content to 09 please.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a straight forward way for end-users to import content from TC3 to 09. To me now Trainz is the new steam physics, without it, it's nothing. I've pre-ordered 09 and I also own TC3, but I think the product should start to look towards stand-alone functionality. Seriously, license the important steam content to 09 please.
No, you have to open everything for edit and then copy it across to TS2009 which will take ages. Licensing the missing content is also not a problem as Auran has only a non-exclusive right to distribute content. This means the original authors are free to distribute the assets in any way they choose.

For the engine sounds it's Tony Weber, the engine specs were mostly by Bloodnok I believe and the vac pipes were from Pikkabird.

Paul

No, you have to open everything for edit and then copy it across to TS2009 which will take ages. Licensing the missing content is also not a problem as Auran has only a non-exclusive right to distribute content. This means the original authors are free to distribute the assets in any way they choose.

For the engine sounds it's Tony Weber, the engine specs were mostly by Bloodnok I believe and the vac pipes were from Pikkabird.

Paul

Could some one be very nice and arrange for these odd items to be uploaded to the DLS?

Thanks John

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan
The issue is we don't yet know exactly which assets will be available with TRS2009 yet and until we do the uncertainty creates problems.

Cheerio John

Yes you do - the assets that are in the TS2009 Beta are the World Builder Assets. Updates to these will be released via the DLS where possible. Additional new content will be released in TEE.

So essentially the message to content creators is don't rely on built in content in any latest version of Trainz wait until the following version is released to see which bits are still available.

I had assumed that Auran's business plan is to sell more copies of the latest version which to me means encouraging content creators to make use of the newer features. However based on your statement it would appear the only safe option open to content creators is to stick to TRS2006 level content.

Thank you for letting me essentially waste my time creating assets for an orphaned version of Trainz. I can think of more productive uses for it.

Cheerio John

Mike, of the top of my head some where blue sky interactive assets, and a few other random bits n bobs. From what I can recall non where for the S&C creation team.

Rob

Surely Auran's smart enough to come up with a way to get the TC3 stuff (and all the other built in stuff) to work in '09 with out all this carry on.

How about making a disk with all the built in stuff from all flavors of Trainz on it, readied for TRS2009.
Sell it as an add-on for five bucks plus postage? That way you wont need to fix the DLS.

I know I'd buy it.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Maybe they could make a wizard or something that would import it all for you if you have them installed.. ?

But if TRS2009 only includes the same TC3 content as the beta then you need to purchase TC3 and copy over the two Pikkabird vacuum pipes 2512:60 and 2512:61 which are not included in the TRS2009 beta in order not to have missing dependencies and no vacuum pipes.
Actually that's not true John, the two vac pipes have been on the DLS since 29th March 2006 (they are TRS2004 assets).

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwhelan
But if TRS2009 only includes the same TC3 content as the beta then you need to purchase TC3 and copy over the two Pikkabird vacuum pipes 2512:60 and 2512:61 which are not included in the TRS2009 beta in order not to have missing dependencies and no vacuum pipes.

Actually that's not true John, the two vac pipes have been on the DLS since 29th March 2006 (they are TRS2004 assets).

Paul

Thanks Paul, I stand corrected and I'm now happy and content.

Both myself and my beta testers dropped the wagons on the TRS2009 download helper as we normally do and CM2 didn't find either dependency. I can only assume it hadn't synced enough or some such. I think there was some discussion about CM2 not finding items on the DLS in Trainzdev.

I'll delete them and recheck.

Cheerio John

Paul

Looks like it's a CM2 undocumented system feature. CM2 is unable to find these dependencies even with the full kuid2 number but it will load the items down correctly if selected manually.

Thanks John

I also note I'm not the only person having problems with these items. They are listed as missing on Tarl. I wonder how many other missing items are on the DLS?

Cheerio John

I noticed that TC3 CM doesn't find all the dependencies either. It overlooks a lot of the TRS2004 and UTC stuff.

Cheers

Back